Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have some comments on your ad:

You should post some critical frame dimensions.

(That frame BTW looks suspiciously similar to my Merckx SC which were made in Italy and painted in Belgium)

Also the model year of the frame and Centaur parts, Is the Centaur Ultrashift or PS for instance?

Didn't see anything on the wheels.

Is the fork 100% carbon?

And yes, it's bit unique. Not sure there's much of a market for nice alloy frames.

I guess the response from the market will give you an idea of value.

Have you put it on eBay?

My only other comment is that there's a well known "whole bike discount". It's a lot more work, but you make more money by parting things out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you very much for your comments. I'm more than happy to part it out and that's what my next move was going to be.

What do you mean by "critical frame dimensions?" When I buy a bike I go by the cm size...I ride a 56, most everything else (reach) can be adjusted with seat posts, saddles, stems, and bars (or so I thought.)

With regard to the Mercx...I may have heard something about Mercx riding a Masi built frame re-badged with his sponsor's name at one point in time, so it would not surprise me if Masi built some of his frames.

Good point on the parts. I am not sure what PS means. I bought the group about two years ago. I will have to do some research I suppose.

The fork is an early carbon model that came on the bike. They had an aluminum steer tube I believe.

I did forget to put in the name of the wheels I see (Khamsin.)

Thanks again for the comments. I have some changes to make now.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Least informative ad ever

"The stem is different from the one in the picture"....well that makes me wonder what ELSE is different! And it will lead to a very unhappy buyer if they did not get exactly what is shown in the ad.

Give the frame dimensions center of tube to center of tube. Length of seat tube and length of top tube are critical. Also stem length...the one you are actually including in the sale.

List the components.

And leave out everything else.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Merckx started selling a line of scandium alloy framed bikes in around 2001 or so. They were used professionally. The unpainted frames originated in Italy (not sure where) and were painted and assembled at Eddy's factory in Belgium.

Here is mine so you know what I'm talking about

View attachment 280617

Ideally you would provide a geometry chart. At least at a minimum the horizontal top tube (centre-centre), and the head tube (end-end), dimensions.

If you can make multiple shifts with the thumb button, they are Ultra-Shift (and worth more). Current Centaurs look the same but are Power Shift, and shift one click at a time with the button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...that's fair. I will make the changes today, along with new photos. I didn't mention it, but this bike has been stored in a bedroom everyday since I've owned it, so the parts are immaculate. I always considered stems something that I would need to change to fine-tune a ride to my liking, but I hear you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a beautiful bike. You're right, it does look similar to mine.

BTW, my version of the shifters allow you to drop a bunch of gears with one movement of the ratchet, and this is partly why I wanted this group. This is right before they started going to the semi-auto style shifting.

Thanks for posting the photo. I'll provide some geometry for the frame.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Don't forget the vintage you believe the frame to be. If that's a 1 1/8 steerer, then I'm guessing that about 2001 is the earliest it could be.

The 10-speed Ultrashifts are now quite desirable because Campy only made them for a couple of years. The shifters alone should fetch $250. I sold a pair of the Alloy US Centaurs (even more desirable it turned out) recently for $300.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure on the vintage. Someone else asked that same question (why, I'm not sure.) It's an integrated headset, which are supposedly not the greatest invention ever, but it's never given me any trouble. It is 1 1/8.

Interesting about the shifters. I would think the carbon would've fetched more. They look amazing and have that warm feel.

Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.