Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cannondale SuperSix. Frequently I ride sidewalks in getting to the bike path where I sometimes ride. Today I rode with my girlfriend to work which is all sidewalk. Unfortunately Michigan is NOT bike friendly, forcing me to use the sidewalk in some places. The sidewalks are bad in areas with large holes, sections that have heaved, and rough transitions in the intersections. I have also taken it off curbs when cars block the the sidewalk, or bunny hopped over debris. I weigh 145lbs, and am 6'0.

Am I riding the bike beyond what it was designed to do, and in danger of damaging the frame?

· Registered
153 Posts
I'm no expert on carbon fiber, but I've been riding an old carbon Lemond for 12 years. 6 of those racing and 10s of thousands of miles. I don't treat it with any respect. And the roads I've been riding lately are very bad. I've probably ridden it on worse terrain than many mountain bikes have seen. I bunny hop over debris all of the time and have been of plenty of curbs.

I think you are fine.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
No, your frame should be fine. However, bunny hopping curbs could do a number on your wheels/tires/tubes.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
No, your frame should be fine. However, bunny hopping curbs could do a number on your wheels/tires/tubes.
It should be fine- but it wouldn't surprise me if something went wrong. Sort of pushing the limits with road bike construction* if you are continuously curb hopping and bunny jumping.

*I know this is a general statement, but would any of us be surprised if a poster wrote "I was bunny jumping a log the other day ON MY ROAD BIKE and when I came down my carbon seat stay cracked."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.