Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*yes, I acknowledge that I need to clean my bike after a semi-muddy ride.

Are my brakes out of commission now or can they still be fixed/part replaced?

After a decent, I noticed that my bike was braking randomly without me pressing my brake lever. Went home and checked and I initially thought it had something to do with the cable tension (they're single pivot Planet X brake calipers)...but I don't remember messing around with it and it's been working well for a long,long time now. Pulled my tires out and sure enough I saw what's missing.

Now to be honest I think I could be wrong here, but I'm positive the holder(or whatever it's called) enables the arms to spring back. Prove me wrong otherwise.

Right arm (which I believe is broken)

Left arm

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It's hard to tell if it's broken. But if it slipped of once it can do that again. In all my years I have never seen a single pivot spring fail on a ride.
Here is my suggestion, take it for what it's worth.

Remove brake from bike.

Go and get a small ROUND file, like a jewelers version. And round cause we are not trying to cause any edges.

Carefully, and with some cutting oil, file the notch just a bit to create a better seat for the brake spring.

Go slow and check often. Then take bike out and see how it works. Since it's rear brake a full on failure there won't be as bad as a front brake failure. Worst that will happen is you having a brake pad rubbing.

Aside from that contact the manafacture and see if you can get a replacement part.

Bill

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,987 Posts
You're missing the black spring retainer that fits on top of the spring tension adjuster. It just slides on and is held there by the spring tension (even Campy works the same way). Nothing is broken. You can either call up Planet X and see if they will send you a new one or if you have an old brake lying around some other brand's may fit.

Here is an exploded Campy view (no idea if the part would fit):

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Waterford B07014/Spares09-B-3009.jpg

5th one down labeled BR-RE012 on the left.

No idea how it came off. That can't easily happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.