Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, been searching for a cyclocross bike that was SS/disc/steel without much luck. Closest I've come is the '08 Salsa La Cruz, which is pricier than I want. But I ran across an '07 Bianchi Roger (SS/disc/alum) and the light weight alum w/carbon fork was just too sexy for me to want to pass on.

Here's the issue though, it's a 57cm bike and I tend to ride a 55. I'm still relatively new to biking and have always just ridden the size I've been told to. I'm wondering what, if anything, I'm giving up by grabbing a slightly too large frame (with shorter stem and seat pushed up a bit).

Some notes... the standover is about the same as most 56cm bikes, so a touch high, but not horrible. I'll be riding it primarily as a commuter with some light mountain biking in their also... if I get really ambitious I might enter the rec grade cyclocross races (though I hear disc brakes aren't allowed, so maybe not)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
What are your (1) overall and (2) pubic bone heights?

Have you had a chance to ride this bike, or is it a mail order deal? You can pretty much tell if a bike is too big or too small just by setting up the saddle height and going for a ride.

IMO adjusting the cockpit by using a stem as short as 90mm or as long as 140mm is valid, but adjusting the seat fore-aft is not.

A bike that doesn't fit is no bargain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5'8"... how should I measure the pubic bone height?

My pant inseam is 30" if that gives a feel at all.

The bike is at my LBS. My initial ride was with a long stem, the seat all the way back and a touch high. That was too big, I think the previous owner was a touch big for the frame. The position of the BB relative to the seat was notably to far in front. I moved the seat forward and down and my pedaling position was much better, but I'd say I was 3/4 up the seat rails to get to that point. Am I going to have power issues if my butt is so far forward of the back wheel?

My thought was to go back and have them put a shorter stem on it, then see how that feels... I'm going to ride a La Cruz today for comparisons sake.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
30 inseam...
same story here...

I've raced a 55 cross check and it felt too big,
i'm on a 53 Axis and if feels perhaps a little too small but way better then the 55
57 would be way too big uless you've got monster long arms

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
55 feels about right for me, I like being a touch more stretched out over the bike.

Owned a 54 crosscheck and it felt too small, particularly in the TT. I've never been properly measured out for a bike, just told "eh, you look about this size" and handed a bike.

Found a place that might still sell all frame sizes (probably an old website though), going to see if I can find a 55cm there.

Otherwise I might try and build up a La Cruz... just was hoping to get something lined up before I started my job on Tuesday.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Woah. I'm 6' and ride a 56 cross, 57 road. Me thinks the 57 would be way too big, atmo...(32 inch inseam...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you looked at a voodoo wazoo? sliding dropouts, a derailer hanger and it's steel :D i picked up a frame and fork from bikeman.com and built up a sweet ride. love the feel of a steel frame... '96 was the last time i rode steel.

rider

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
I had to buy from a distance, so I brought the print outs of the website geometry charts of a few contenders into my LBS and discussed fit, purpose, needs and price. I then placed my order and it all came together. I am outside the US, so it wasn't as easy as it should be for you. I was afraid the Salsa would be too tall or long, but with my builder's confidence I bought it and love it. Even after it was all together I had some doubts until I settled in and put a few miles behind me. The measurements didn't lie. Kinda like when you chew on one side of your mouth for too long and then switch... at first it feels strange, but then totally natural.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out it didn't matter, the 57cm ended up being a shop bike that was the baby of the owner, so he's not selling.

He says he might be able to get a hold of a 55, if so I'm going with that. Otherwise I'm deciding between building up one of the following:

La Cruz
Wazoo
Las Cruces
Karate Monkey (If I want cheaper or more mtn biking oriented)

Thinking of building up as a 2x1 or something of that ilk to allow for appropriate gearing in mtn biking vs road.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Sure hope you can find a 55cm Roger - sounds like the perfect bike for you! Also, I doubt you'll be able to build something comparable for that price. If this dealer doesn't pan out, I'd call every Bianchi shop in the area to see what they got in stock. Might get lucky!

http://www.bianchiusa.com/dealers.html

Better yet, you could contact Bianchi USA directly. They should be able to tell you more about availability and if/when the Roger was discontinued (pretty sure it was only offered as an '07 model even though it's still on the '08 website).

Bianchi USA
Hayward, CA
Phone: 510-264-1001
Email: [email protected]

Good luck!

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the LBS is a little willing to let me dig my own grave on this ;)

I may go into a diff shop and get them to size me with no input from me. I tend to like slightly longer than normal reaches it seems.

Measurements:
My pant inseam is 30".
If I hold a level between my legs with a little pushing up against my (cough) package I get 32".
Floor to pubic bone I get 33.5"

Anyone know which of those measurements I should use? Also it looks like I should be running a cyclocross bike a cm or two shorter than the road fit by what I'm reading...

·
eat live sleep cross
418 Posts
i dunno about the smaller/shorter part to a cross bike. Why?

you still gotta pedal it comfortably... the fit shouldn't really be that dramatically different than the road bike, maybe with a touch higher handle bar (unless you are Treefarm, but lets not drag him through the mud again - just using it as an example).

It is sort of like saying "buy a cycling shoe one size too small" there ain't no good reasoning to back it up.

A bike should fit. Bottom line.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.