Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think they look fine if done well. It looks better than a plain sloping top tube IMO. The curved or sloping top tube does have a purpose of allowing a taller head tube without a tall seat tube.

IMO, this is a good looking bike:

IMO, this is not:

Im sure not everyone agrees as it is a matter of personal taste. I personally cant get by the funky seat stay design.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I like some curved tube bikes and some straight/traditional top tube bikes. I'm very glad that bike styling did not stop with designs of the - what? - 1900s (whenever, it was a long time ago).

I do not think creative bicycle design, functional or style ended decades ago. Why shouldn't styling take advantage of new materials - and what the heck is wrong with styling? You don't think that the Italians and French - and the British for that matter - did all they possibly could to make their 1960s steel framed bikes as stylish as they possibly could given the materials and aesthetics of the day? Come on.

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
From a strictly functional standpoint I understand the appeal of sloping top tubes. Personally I tend to prefer the look of a horizontal top tube. Curving, on the other hand, has never made much sense to me. Both aesthetically and functionally it usually doesn't float my boat. More material than necessary solely for looks? Bah says I. Even with that said, I must contradict myself with this caveat: Steve Garro does some beautiful stuff! But even among his stuff I have to dig a bit to find something I find truly beautiful as a full design. His metal working skills are amazing, but his curved top tubes look best on 650bs if you ask me.

·
Cumudgitude
703 Posts
. . . Adding curves to tubes only makes the tube artificially longer, and gives distinction to the designer.
Depends on where they are. Bent seat stays can significantly change the feel of the bike. Curved down tubes can significantly alter fork crown/wheel clearance resulting in more options for steering geometry. Curved top tubes result in little difference, but anywhere else they can make a big difference in the character or a frame.

·
Special guest
Ultegra R8000
578 Posts
Depends on where they are. Bent seat stays can significantly change the feel of the bike. Curved down tubes can significantly alter fork crown/wheel clearance resulting in more options for steering geometry. Curved top tubes result in little difference, but anywhere else they can make a big difference in the character or a frame.
Okay, I guess I should've clarified my position. I thought we were all discussing top tubes. :thumbsup:
And on that note, are there any builders that make steel or ti frames with curved top tubes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm impressed by the tech, but the design somewhat reminds me of beach cruisers and such. Just makes for some soft looking and somewhat tall and bulbous shapes.

Starts to look real bad in bigger sizes like this Noah FB

OK, not so much of trying to embody an aggressive look, and I like how Volagi has been trying to be a forward thinking new company, but to me it's asking for a basket up front and one of those saddles with the springs underneath.

Venge is a less severe case and nice otherwise, but the TT stood out to me in person, especially when there's a spacer stack involved.

When I first saw the Neuvation FC500, I found it ugly, but just wasn't sure why until I realized it's the top tube and how it annoyingly curves along with the seat stays. Some of the builds I've seen did look a bit better, though.
This is an old thread but I’m living this reality right now. I have been riding a Ridley Fenix for the past two years. The curving top tube has always bothered me and makes it look soft. I have just purchased a new straight tube frame, a Time Scylon, because I have finally had enough.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,673 Posts
This is an old thread but I’m living this reality right now. I have been riding a Ridley Fenix for the past two years. The curving top tube has always bothered me and makes it look soft. I have just purchased a new straight tube frame, a Time Scylon, because I have finally had enough.
Makes you wonder. Unfortunately, stupid designs are often done for no other reason than to have something that looks different in order to attract the poseurs.

Reactions: Schlitz

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,673 Posts
When I saw the thread title my first thought was "I'm with you, I greatly prefer level top tubes on bikes!"

...but when I saw the OP, I was reminded how enamored I was of the 2012 Ridley Noah FB. To this day it's still one of the very few off-the-shelf road bikes I lust after.
But remember that it's novelty that fuels lust. Once that is over..........

To be clear, the untimate dealbreaker for me about a bike like this is the proprietary seat post.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,673 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Not a fan. Exception for Dogma...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was sold on these modern curved designs initially - probably didn't help that every other cyclist I passed had the same design. I'm still a function over aesthetic kind of guy, and the curved top tubes made me think twice when buying storage racks and hangers - so switched back to this pake rum runner frame, and I love it: https://southerndistributors.co.uk/product/pake-rum-runner-black/ (y)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts