Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some reviews of the Look Keo's here on this website, and getting a bit worried as I read some of the reviews. Seems like lots of breakage. Can't have that happen. I'm 200lb, 6', and pretty much a crit/sprinter style rider. I have a new set in my garage, but I've been riding some spd style mtb pedals all winter as the shoes I have are mtb shoes. Getting ready to buy some road shoes, and could use advice in that arena as well.....

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I think you'll be fine with them as long as they're not the titanium spindles.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 6'4-5" 215 and tend to grind a bigger gear and I haven't had a problem with my Look Keo carbon w/chromo spindles; as a matter of fact, I can't stand going back to the spd style pedals on my cross bike, or the onzas on my fixed gear even, because I can feel the platform (I never noticed that feeling before I started riding the Looks). Could be because my shoes for the smaller-platform pedals are a little older, but I just feel like the big platform transfers power much more efficiently.

(For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my Sidi Genus IVs)

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
The Keo carbons are two bearing and will likely stand up better. The Classics and Sprint are 1 bearing and are not adjustable to as high a spring tension. I concur that the CrMo spindle is the best route. I had big problems with the Ti spindle on an earlier versions of Looks. The Ti axle in that version was a smaller diameter so retaining pieces didn't do their job. I don't know if the Keos are the same.

Mine have stood up well for the first year. I'm 175 pounds

http://www.lookcyclesusa.com/

·
Registered
220 Posts
Look Keo's do not have a weight limit on their Ti spindle but there will be some flex by larger/stronger riders. Go CroMo. I'm 195lbs and its been pretty good so far. Then again my Keo's are pretty new and I've only used them a handful of times.

:cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have keo cromo had them 18 months I give them hell they're holding up fine my backround before cycling was Bodybuilding,so I've got more power then most regulary full squat 500pds and I don't get any flex out of them so I'm sure you'll be fine.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
210-220#

I'm 6', 3.5", 210-220lbs., been riding the Look Keo Chromoly's for a year with no problem. I don't do crits, but I love barreling up hills, and stand and pound on these a fair amount. I like how light and unobtrusive these things are. That said, I could see snapping one someday--just hasn't happened yet.

The chromollys are a much better deal, too.

For what its worth, switched from an older Sidi shoe (Titan) w/the "millenium" soles recently to new Specialized carbon-soled shoes (with the FACT sole). I *love* these new shoes--awesome upgrade. I think a stiff, good-fiting shoe is even more important with the Keos, given their (relatively) small size. Highly recommend the Specialized shoes, but let me know if you want a good deal on some used Sidi's (size 48).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts