Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a giant tcr comp limited in a medium and i sometimes feel like im too small for the bike. I am 5'7 and wear a 30 in pants. 17 in from pit to wrist. Not sure how to measure torso. I feel so stretched out, i know its a race frame but still. Didnt feel to bad on the test ride and the guy said i looked good on the bike. Do i need the small or do i just need to make some adjustments. I got this pain in my upper arm area, just above the bicep and between my tricep. Does my body just need to get accustomed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I'm sure other more experienced RBR's can give you more specific advice but I would go back to your LBS and state how you feel to them so they can re-examine your fitting and make any necessary adjustments to make you feel more comfortable. They did give you a proper fitting before they let you take the bike home didn't they?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
hoods

where are your hoods pointed? when on the hoods are your wrists straight? how about your arms locked?? And last how flexable are you.
Time usually helps but there are tons of things you can do to make a bike fit better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should my wrists be straight when im on the hoods? the hoods are tilted a little downward, its not totally parallel with the ground. Would the shop switch out the bars to narrower ones? Im not sure what to do because im not sure if i just have to get used to it or if its too big. If its too big i dont want to ride the bike a lot and ask them to give me the smaller one. What would you guys recommend? With my height should i be fine on the medium?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,076 Posts
I have a medium TCR Comp. I'm 5'8 with an inseam of 31.5" and a reach of 68-70 mm (long arms or something, I guess). My arm is about 22.5 from armpit to wrist. I run a 100 mm stem (probably a tad short) and it seems to fit well. My conclusion: Your frame may well be too big. Fit mavens (I ain't), please feel free to jump in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My arms are fully stretched out to reach the hoods. I can bend my elbows but have to lean over further and feel a lot of pressure/stress pushing towards the front of the bike in my arms and hands. just saw that the top tube on the small is 20mm shorter. Is that gonna make a difference. Do i just need to get accustomed to the bike?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
oy, how long is the stem on that bike? What is the rise / drop on it, and how many spacers? Importantly, what is the saddle-to-bar drop?

With a compact frame, you should be able to get a lot of variation in fit.

If it's your first roadie, it's likely too aggressive a position, but you can probably make it work. Start out with a drop between 0 and 5 cm; that should feel plenty comfortable. If you're too stretch out with a 0cm drop AND a 9cm stem, then, yes, your frame is too small.

BTW, the "guy said you looked good on the bike." Mwahahaha! Salesman strikes again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
neutral

If your wrists are bent and it is awkward your shoulders can roll forward. lossen the stem and roll the bars wayyy back, pointing the hoods up. It kinda looks like shaking hands with my brake hoods. See if you like the feel. if you do you can move the levers on the bars.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
Sorry to say this, but....

If you're 5'7" and I'll hazzard a guess that you're TRUE inseam is (not what your levis are) +/-32". Sounds like you really should be on a Small. Of course this is all speculation. What kind of shop was it - big or mom & pop? They didn't fit you (i.e. position the saddle for KOPS, get the saddle to bar drop set, make sure the cranks were the right length, etc, etc, etc)?

FWIW I'm 5'9" with an inseam that's around 32", and I'm on a Medium. YMMV

I doubt the LBS would take it back after a week, how many rides have you been on it?

n1civicsi said:
just got a giant tcr comp limited in a medium and i sometimes feel like im too small for the bike. I am 5'7 and wear a 30 in pants. 17 in from pit to wrist. Not sure how to measure torso. I feel so stretched out, i know its a race frame but still. Didnt feel to bad on the test ride and the guy said i looked good on the bike. Do i need the small or do i just need to make some adjustments. I got this pain in my upper arm area, just above the bicep and between my tricep. Does my body just need to get accustomed?
 

·
Could be faster
Joined
·
282 Posts
i'm also 5'7" and 30" waistline. i ride a 52cm frame (specialized), which i think translate to small for Giant bikes. i tried a 54cm (=medium for Giant bikes) and felt stretched. probably best to take the bike back and try out a small and see how that feels.

boon
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,029 Posts
Might be, Might not be........

If I were you, I'be be ready to panic right now.......so first of all, take a deep breath and calm down, what is done is done. Here is how I would proceed if I were you.

1.) Measure yourself more precisly. Competitive Cyclist has a pretty good fit calculator (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO) Note the 3 different kinds of fit.....I would recommend the Eddy fit for you. Note, Pants inseam is not the same as cycling inseam. Cyling inseam is measured from the floor to your "sit" bones in stocking feet. If you need better instructions let us know. Take your time with the measurements.

2.) See what bike size the calculator suggests. Then go to the Giant site (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp) and see how it compares. Based on a quick look, it appears you are on the low side of the medium sizing, but that's OK.

3.) Assuming you are close on the sizing, go back to the LBS, tell him it doesn't fit right and ask for a stem & or bar swapout (probably shorter reach), as well as an adjustment on the Hood placement. Bars have different reaches. I have bars on my bikes that range from a 10 CM reach, down to and 8.5 CM reach and stems that range from an 11 CM to a 13 CM. I use these different combinations, depending on the bikes geometry to get my 3 contact points (Feet, Butt, Hands) in exactly the same place (realtive to one another) on all bikes.

4.) You may want to move your seat back to start, to get a little less weight on your hands.

Finally, the more you ride, the more stretched out you will become. It's actually good that you appear to be on the low side of the medium sizing, it gives you room to stretch. I have a friend that started riding 3 years ago on a 55 with an 11 stem, and now is on a 57 with a 12 stem (all other geometry is the same).....the difference is, he is more flexible, & he is now riding up on his sit bones (hips rolled forward, back flat). In addition, as you ride more you will adapt to the position, remember you are using muscles you haven't used before.

I think you will be OK, with a shorter stem.

Let us know how it works out.

Len
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
I am 5' 6.75" tall with a 29.75" inch inseam. I ride a bike with a 50cm seat tube and a 52.5cm top tube and a reach of 77cm. I usually start the season with a 90mm stem and switch to a 100mm later as I become more flexible and strengthen my trunk muscles.

I'm not exactly sure how to read the Giant sizing charts (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp) but it looks like your size medium has a virtual top tube length of 55.5cm. Correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I think I'd have a hard time getting comfortable on that bike. Go back to the shop and see if they will work with you, as others have suggested. See if they will swap stem and bars. But it doesn't sound like the shop is really on the ball.

Then if you are still not happy, check with a local bike club for someone who really knows bike fit. A fitter can do many things to help alleviate your discomfort. The trouble comes when the fitter says, "Oh, you need a different stem" after you've already swapped it with your shop. So make sure the shop knows you might be seeing a bike fitter and ask them to be flexible on the parts spec.

Nothing more frustrating than having a new bike that doesn't feel right. You might also try tipping the nose of your seat up just a tiny bit. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Len J said:
If I were you, I'be be ready to panic right now.......so first of all, take a deep breath and calm down, what is done is done. Here is how I would proceed if I were you.

1.) Measure yourself more precisly. Competitive Cyclist has a pretty good fit calculator (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO) Note the 3 different kinds of fit.....I would recommend the Eddy fit for you. Note, Pants inseam is not the same as cycling inseam. Cyling inseam is measured from the floor to your "sit" bones in stocking feet. If you need better instructions let us know. Take your time with the measurements.

2.) See what bike size the calculator suggests. Then go to the Giant site (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/050.000.000/050.600.100.asp) and see how it compares. Based on a quick look, it appears you are on the low side of the medium sizing, but that's OK.

3.) Assuming you are close on the sizing, go back to the LBS, tell him it doesn't fit right and ask for a stem & or bar swapout (probably shorter reach), as well as an adjustment on the Hood placement. Bars have different reaches. I have bars on my bikes that range from a 10 CM reach, down to and 8.5 CM reach and stems that range from an 11 CM to a 13 CM. I use these different combinations, depending on the bikes geometry to get my 3 contact points (Feet, Butt, Hands) in exactly the same place (realtive to one another) on all bikes.

4.) You may want to move your seat back to start, to get a little less weight on your hands.

Finally, the more you ride, the more stretched out you will become. It's actually good that you appear to be on the low side of the medium sizing, it gives you room to stretch. I have a friend that started riding 3 years ago on a 55 with an 11 stem, and now is on a 57 with a 12 stem (all other geometry is the same).....the difference is, he is more flexible, & he is now riding up on his sit bones (hips rolled forward, back flat). In addition, as you ride more you will adapt to the position, remember you are using muscles you haven't used before.

I think you will be OK, with a shorter stem.

Let us know how it works out.

Len

Inseam 30.5 in
Trunk 25.5 in
Forearm 12 in
Arm 23 in
Thigh 22 in
Lower Leg 20.5 in
Sternal Notch 56.5 in
Total Body Height 68 in



The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 50.2 - 50.7 51.4 - 51.9 53.1 - 53.6
Seat tube range c-t 51.7 - 52.2 52.9 - 53.4 54.6 - 55.1
Top tube length 52.1 - 52.5 52.1 - 52.5 53.3 - 53.7
Stem Length 10.2 - 10.8 9.1 - 9.7 9.3 - 9.9
BB-Saddle Position 70.4 - 72.4 69.6 - 71.6 67.9 - 69.9
Saddle-Handlebar 48.7 - 49.3 49.5 - 50.1 51.2 - 51.8
Saddle Setback 2.7 - 3.1 3.9 - 4.3 3.4 - 3.8
Seatpost Type NON-SETBACK NON-SETBACK SETBACK

thats what came out. If i move the seatback wont it get worse since ill have more trouble reaching the bars. I have only been on the bike once.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,524 Posts
n1civicsi said:
I have only been on the bike once.
IMO - and it pains me to type this - I think you should give it a wipe down (with a clean cloth) and bring it back to the shop, and TELL them that you were sold a bike that's TOO BIG. Sorry, but I've got a friend who's about 6'1" and he was told (by an ex-pro) that his Large Giant was too big for him. He's now on a Medium.

Hope this works out. Your LBS better make it work out.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,029 Posts
I'm sure I'm confused......

n1civicsi said:
Inseam 30.5 in
Trunk 25.5 in
Forearm 12 in
Arm 23 in
Thigh 22 in
Lower Leg 20.5 in
Sternal Notch 56.5 in
Total Body Height 68 in



The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 50.2 - 50.7 51.4 - 51.9 53.1 - 53.6
Seat tube range c-t 51.7 - 52.2 52.9 - 53.4 54.6 - 55.1
Top tube length 52.1 - 52.5 52.1 - 52.5 53.3 - 53.7
Stem Length 10.2 - 10.8 9.1 - 9.7 9.3 - 9.9
BB-Saddle Position 70.4 - 72.4 69.6 - 71.6 67.9 - 69.9
Saddle-Handlebar 48.7 - 49.3 49.5 - 50.1 51.2 - 51.8
Saddle Setback 2.7 - 3.1 3.9 - 4.3 3.4 - 3.8
Seatpost Type NON-SETBACK NON-SETBACK SETBACK

thats what came out. If i move the seatback wont it get worse since ill have more trouble reaching the bars. I have only been on the bike once.
How can your inseam only be 30.5 inches, if your lower leg is 20.5 & your thigh is 22.5?

If you are 68 inches tall, and your Inseam is 30.5 than you have the same torso length as me and I'm 6' tall........this would indicate that you shouldn't have reach problems

I'm going to do this in CM...it's easier for me:

Inseam:
You 77.47
Me 88
Difference 10.5 CM

Height:
You 172.7 CM
Me 182.9 cm
Difference 10.2 CM

Consequently, we both have relativly the same torso length. BTW, all my bikes have a 57.5 cm top tube and with a 73 degree seat & Head tube angle, an 11 cm stem with 10 cm reach bars. Now I may have longer arms than you, but I don't think that is all thedifference.

I have a hard time beleiving your inseam measurement.......are you certain it is Cycling inseam, (Not Pants inseam)? You said earlier that you had a 30 inseam in your pants....your Cycling inseam will be between 5 & 10 centimeters longer than your pants inseam.

Re run the fit calculator with an inseam of 36 just for yucks.

BTW, what stem length is on th bike, and what bars are on there?

Len
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
with a 36 in seam.

The Competitive Fit The Eddy Fit The French Fit
Seat tube range c-c 59.2 - 59.7 60.4 - 60.9 62.1 - 62.6
Seat tube range c-t 61.1 - 61.6 62.3 - 62.8 64.0 - 64.5
Top tube length 51.4 - 51.8 51.4 - 51.8 52.6 - 53.0
Stem Length 10.5 - 11.1 9.4 - 10.0 9.6 - 10.2
BB-Saddle Position 83.5 - 85.5 82.7 - 84.7 81.0 - 83.0
Saddle-Handlebar 50.0 - 50.6 50.8 - 51.4 52.5 - 53.1
Saddle Setback 6.8 - 7.2 8.0 - 8.4 7.5 - 7.9
Seatpost Type NON-SETBACK SETBACK SETBACK

from the bottom of my foot to my crotch it is actually 31 inches. Stem is a easton 6061al and the bars are the same.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top