Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have your attention :=) I know what the protocol is for the Pros but what do lowly cat 4/5's do? In my area we have a newish race that is nearly 100 miles long. Never really had to think about it before since most races around here are in the 40-60 mile range (for the lower categories). So how does this work, if at all? Does the group spontaeously decide to take a break? Do race organizers care?

- Krishna

·
Registered
80 Posts
depends...

I was in one cat 4 (no 5's here) race where guys would ride off the front to pee before catching back on. This was a 20 mile headwind stretch at the start of the race, and they said what they were doing, so nobody really cared. But then, eventually somebody just kept riding...

Usually if there is a non tactical stretch near the start like that you can get an organized pee break where everybody stops. Sometimes not everybody stops, but that isn't a good idea if you plan on doing more than one race. Other races that start with a big climb or something, pee after you get dropped.

Organizers may care if the course is near houses, locals don't like to look out the window and see 100 guys peeing. Ask at the start, and getting everyone thinking about a break will make it easier to get people organized to stop.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As bobsmargs said telling the group that you are doing a "pee break" attack and riding off the front for a min then stopping to pee and catching back on works. Sometimes a few will go with to help get away/back on and pee as well. Don't do that and not stop to pee though. That is a bad move if you plan to race with them again.

And group stops happen sometimes. We stopped last weekend durring a race and almost the whole field took a nature break and/or shed some clothes. Then the real racing began up the hills.

You could also learn to pee off the bike at the back of the pack and then get back in. As someone said, make sure you practice that before trying it in a race.

·
Registered
21,674 Posts
Skill development

krishna said:
Now that I have your attention :=) I know what the protocol is for the Pros but what do lowly cat 4/5's do? In my area we have a newish race that is nearly 100 miles long. Never really had to think about it before since most races around here are in the 40-60 mile range (for the lower categories). So how does this work, if at all? Does the group spontaeously decide to take a break? Do race organizers care?
The technique is as follows: First find the proper conditions - gradual downhill or quartering tail wind is best, but you can do it as long as you can coast. Move to the back of the group. Grab the handlebar tops with your "up wind" hand. Stand on your downwind ("pee side") leg and lean the bike into the wind, while keeping in a straight line. With your free hand, simultaneously pull down your shorts and hold the "equipment." Aim about 45 degrees ahead of "straight off to the side" and apply some extra pressure to the bladder. Watch where you are going and concentrate on steering - do not watch where the pee stream is going. Some claim to pull up the leg of the shorts, but I guess my shorts are too tight on the thighs to make this possible. Bib shorts add to the challenge. Practice this several times and well before a race or group ride situation. It may seem impossible, but it is and you have to believe! Speed is of the essence and you will still have to chase to get back to the group, but it beats the heck out of stopping. Also, having this skill allows you to stay properly hydrated, which can be a huge advantage over those who are restricting fluids so they don't have to pee during the race.

·
Registered
88 Posts
And to think when i did this during a rainy day sprint triathlon i just pee'd myself... Stood up and let it all go. No adjusting of anything needed ( the bike portion was set in a neighborhood, andcouldnt very well pee during a pool swim... that would have been to inconsiderate for me. hahaha) Its not that hard once you talk yourself into it for the first time.
Pretty simple actually... But i did wonder how others did it, or if i was just sick like that. :) thats what showers are for after all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts