Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i decided to inspect my BB on my schwinn thst i converted to SS and removed the crank bolts and arms evertyhing looked cool. Fast forward to this morning, i was planning to go on a long ride but changed my mind and put the Scott back changed and grabbed the Schwinn. Im cruising along to the local coffee house and my crank starts to wobble, lol. I cant believe i forgot to put the bolts back in. As i pull up to the inetersection my crank falls off, LOL. Im around a mile and a half from my house and have to limp it back home coasting and lightly pedaling. Im such an idiot. :D I learned a good lesson this morning. Haha

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
rookie :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
We all do stuff like that fromn time to time. Well...everybody except me, of course. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
It takes a man to make such a confession in public....here is mine.

Was putting my brand new campy ultratorque crank into my brand new carbon frame. Easy enough, screw in cups, insert crank arms...insert bold and tighten. I did that...even torques th bolt...but the crank made noise when I turned it....and had some slop between the arms. Took it off, looked it over and reinstalled. Same thing. Repeat a few times while scratching my head. Called Vecchios, described install....they said there really isn't anything to it...something must be wrong with the crank. At that point I'm getting frustrated. I've already torques everything to the max tha campy recommends, but there is slop between the arms and it ticks when I spin it. So I reach down to pull the crank arm got the top of it's rotation and it comes out of the frame completely. The bolt still in it.

Yeah, I put the bolt in from the wrong side and was torquing the snot out of it..... Remove, insert from proper side and torque....laugh at myself and grab a beer. It took an hour to figure out I had the bolt in the wrong arm. Sometimes your head is just not in the game...so I finished the assembly the next day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts