Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone riding a new-ish set of Nemesis rims? I just put mine on and they're amazing, but they aren't getting along with my brake pads at all. Horrible screeching noises when stopping hard, and its clearly wearing the pads out fast - after each ride I have dead rubber hanging off the front of the pad. Any suggestions for either changing the position or a new set of pads that works well?

PS its not glue on the rims - they're brand new and I electrical taped them when mounting the tires. Its also a constant noise all the way around not a single contact spot.

EDIT - pads are stock SRAM Rival (by SwissStop)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Never have problems. You may not have the pads toed in, which will at least quiet them a bit (the forward end is slightly closer to the rim than the rearward end, so the front touches first when you start to brake).

There's no reason they should wear that much. New rims will sometimes give noisy braking anyway, at least until the anodizing is smoothed out a bit (on Nemesis rims it's rather hard to rub it off). Swap pads just in case the pads you have on there are not what they were supposed to be, or were a bad batch. That's a stretch since brake pads get pretty good QC, especially from SwissStop.

Scrub the braking surfaces with some acetone and scotchbrite to be sure you didn't get something on there without knowing it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
lucer0,
May I ask where you picked yours up at, and what build you did? I am currently looking at these same rims, and would like to know more about them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
19surf74 said:
lucer0,
May I ask where you picked yours up at, and what build you did? I am currently looking at these same rims, and would like to know more about them.
These are pretty much the best alloy tubular rim available today, and certainly in a box-section profile. They are immensely sturdy, not unreasonably heavy, build up beautifully, and are superbly finished cosmetically. I don't think I've ever seen a Nemesis fail, short of a crash where it was run over by a car.

A special feature of these rims is that they lace up into a wheel that is both immensely strong and also has a suppleness to it that, like a good frame, takes out the harshness of bad roads. Don't do anything fancy with them, just a basic 3-cross lacing all the way around with DT Competitions or an equivalent spoke. This isn't a place to use aero spokes or lightweight spokes or spoke counts. The rims used to come in 28, 32, and 36 drillings, but the 28's have been discontinued and the 32's are a bit easier to find than 36's. I personally keep a stash of the 36's. For long training rides you'll really enjoy the feeling of these rims.

The finish is very durable, even on the braking surfaces. The tire bed is really well shaped for most tires from a 22 to 28 mm or for cross tires (which don't fit anything all that well, so it's relative).

The Nemesis has been around for about 20 years, and the alloy in the rims has changed a couple times. The best are the current version, which was in a greyish-brown color with a script silkscreened "Nemesis" and no actual stickers. This version was changed slightly to a darker grey with some extra lettering, but it's the same rim underneath.

If the Nemesis is way overkill (and for a 140 lb rider it may well be), you can get the same rim in a lighter build in the Ambrosio Crono. Be sure to get the current version; older ones were rather fragile.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try acetone-ing the rims and toeing the pads a bit.

19surf74 - the build is 32h Nemesis to DA7800 hubs, 3-cross lacing. Some kind of combination of DT Competition and DT Revolution spokes and a mix of alloy and brass nipples (the wheelbuilder told me all of this in detail but I've since forgotten). The rims were sourced and the wheels were built by Svelte Cycles, now known as Luxe Wheelworks. No clue if he has any remaining. Amazing work though, highly recommended.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm really interested in building up a set of these wheels. However, I was looking at the
Ambrosio Cronos F20 rims, and they are almost 100 grams lighter. Lucer0, with the wheels you mentioned, what was the complete weight? I'm looking to go with Chris King
Hubs, with some Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Just trying to get a feel for weight. Really looking forward to tubular tires. I hear they are the cats meow, when it comes to smoothness!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could tell you the weight - its not exactly a weight weenie build, so I wasn't too concerned with finding a scale when I got them. There definitely is a small cost in grams for wheels that are stupidly strong - I'll never be riding Paris-Roubaix type cobblestones, but thats what the rim is designed to handle.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,420 Posts
Meh, I do not find that they are any "better" than my wheels build with GL330's or Wolbers.

·
Wafflekyd
40 Posts
I built mine up two weeks ago with Chris King R45 hubs (titanium ringdrive) and Sapim CX Ray spokes in 32-3X. 1484 grams total weight, pre-tires. Glued some Veloflex Roubaix tires on them (24mm). Amazing wheels! The ride quality is just phenomenal, they corner with the best and I've found that they climb about as well as my Mavic Ultimates. I use the SwissStop FlashPro Black brake pads. Stop on a dime, with no residue on rims.
1484 grams is good I think, especially for a wheelset as tough as this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts