Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume these won't be suitable as everyday riders? My Chorus/open pro's have died after about 8 yrs and I can pick a pair up very cheap.

I had 420's about 5 yrs ago and recall the hubs not being very 'hardy' - assume not much improvement. Easier to maintain/lube now??

My other equally cheap choices are Fulcrum 5 or 7's or Campagnolo Khamsin's/Scirroco/Vento - thoughts??

The Am Classics appeal simply because they could double as some fairly cheap race wheels.

· Registered
19,427 Posts
Ac 350

DannyBoy said:
I assume these won't be suitable as everyday riders? My Chorus/open pro's have died after about 8 yrs and I can pick a pair up very cheap.

I had 420's about 5 yrs ago and recall the hubs not being very 'hardy' - assume not much improvement. Easier to maintain/lube now??

My other equally cheap choices are Fulcrum 5 or 7's or Campagnolo Khamsin's/Scirroco/Vento - thoughts??

The Am Classics appeal simply because they could double as some fairly cheap race wheels.
hub has been improved after Jan. 2006. They added a spacer inbetween the bearing so you can wrench down on the adjusting bolt on the non-drive side now to remove that bearing play...I just bought a pair of AC 350's for climbing and they seem like they're solid enough (I only weigh ~158). I haven't bothered maintaining them or taking the hub apart although the instruction manual looks daunting.....

all the hub issues were from before 2006 and I haven't heard of many riders having too many problems with them since then...the folks in AC headquarters (Florida?) have been quite helpful too. The original adjusting nut on my rear hub was machined incorrectly so I couldn't get a 19mm wrench around it...they priority mailed another set of nuts the same day. Just be careful...REALLY soft aluminum back there...

Not sure about the cassette installation technique yet though...they utilize a set of 3 clips that supposedly distribute cassette torque on the softer freehub body..

with that said...I'm using my race day only...

· Registered
1,158 Posts
I had a pair of these for a year or two. Although the rear hub was fine, they were not very durable....needed truing every couple of months, and the front hub fell apart after about 3,000 km. I sure loved the wheels while they lasted, though! FWIW, I weigh about 170#.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
The hubs are now bomb proof. I ride 420's and have put 8,000 miles on them and had to true them twice, once after the first 200 miles; one spoke a quarter of a turn and more recently, two spokes a quarter of a turn.

I have yet to replace any bearings as they turn smooth and forever. However, after this season I will overhaul the bearing in the front and back, since by then they will have close to 9,500 miles on them.

Ray

· Registered
1,326 Posts
I have been running 420's for two years,replaced the rear bearings last year and had the wheels trued, no problems and smooth as glass, I weigh 165.
Sorry, OT, does anyone know if it would be possible to get ceramic bearings
for the old style CR-420 hubs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.