Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, What´s your opinión on the American Classic 420´s if you had the experience of riding them, I´ve Heard there very Strong, Light and Reliable, Is all that True? , Because I had a Pair of AM CLASSIC Sprint 350´s, that where very Light, but very Weak, The ended up like a Mariachi Hat, all bended! Thanks in advance, Salvador.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a thread in this same section asking for opinions about building a wheel set based on Am. Classic hubs and DT Swiss rims, I got numerous negative comments about the reliability of AC hubs. As to the AC 420's, I've owned a set of them since late summer and they've been fine, and I'm no lightweight. I've also had a number of PM's from members with good things to say about AC, and the builder who I'm using to build my wheels has told me not to worry, and he's not selling me the hubs. The bottom line for me is that the AC 420s have been great and I'm building another wheelset with AC hubs. Many others here will say stay away from them at all costs. You'll have to sift through the feedback you receive and make the decision that you think is best for you.

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
+1

blandin said:
I have a thread in this same section asking for opinions about building a wheel set based on Am. Classic hubs and DT Swiss rims, I got numerous negative comments about the reliability of AC hubs. As to the AC 420's, I've owned a set of them since late summer and they've been fine, and I'm no lightweight. I've also had a number of PM's from members with good things to say about AC, and the builder who I'm using to build my wheels has told me not to worry, and he's not selling me the hubs. The bottom line for me is that the AC 420s have been great and I'm building another wheelset with AC hubs. Many others here will say stay away from them at all costs. You'll have to sift through the feedback you receive and make the decision that you think is best for you.
I had a set of standard (non bladed spoke) AC 420s. I loved them but sold them b/c I considered them a race/fast ride wheels set only. I no longer race (might in the future) and I find myself being lazy and keeping my campy eurus on 100% of the time. That being said, I'm actually think about doing a custom build with them. However, keep in mind that the hubs a designed to be supelight so they arn't going to have elaborate sealing mechanisms. So, if this is going to be your only wheelset I'd probably go another route, if this is going to be your "good set" I'd say go for it. Once you decide it's time to replace the bearings, go with ceramic and don't worry about it in the future. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I have three sets of AC wheels.

stock 420s, 350s with C-XRay spokes, and a set with Velocity Aerohead / DT Comp spokes. I use them all interchangably and probably have 12,000 miles on them. The Aeroheads are the oldest, bought them in 2003, and had to repack the front bearings once and repack the rear hub on the 350s earlier this year, but I use that set the most of all 3. I take good care of my stuff, don't ride in rainy weather (I have a rain bike just for that) and watch where I'm riding. Treat them well and they will take care of you

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've owned 420's for going on two years

I purchased the 'standard build' 420's in April 03. I've had no problems with trueness or the rims. The rear bearings needed replacing after 9k miles and the fronts now need replacing after about 12k. I've never thought twice about using these as my everyday wheels (once I removed the gaudy stickers of course). I'm no flyweight as I usually average in the high 160's so they've been a sturdy set of wheels. I would not hesitate to buy another pair or recommend them to others.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been happy with mine

I have the 420s with CX spokes. I use them primarily as race only wheels and don't ride them in the rain. The front had to be trued after a crash in a race but no problems otherwise.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm 215 now and have had no problems with my 420's or 350's with either the hubs or rims. Let me make something painfully obvious...get a spoke count that matches your weight! Just cause they sell a 16 spoke front doesn't mean you should buy it if your my size! This should be obvious to anyone, but often we are so hooked on weight that we give up reliability. I've got a stack of shattered 16 spoke and 18 spoke wheels and I learned the hard(expensive) way that higher spoke counts offer reliability. Just look at what the pro's ride in the classics over the cobblestones....none of that low spoke count stuff.

The Flash

Disclaimer: I test prototype wheels for American Classic....they make them stronger, and I try to break them....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Buy them from a reputable dealer!!! Or you'll be sorry. I bought some from a sorry ebay reatiler called biketakeoffs, and got burned, the details are listed on a simlar thread from last summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts