Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new pair of American Classic 420s about to arrive w/ new bike but I am not sure if they are the right wheels for me. I am 200lbs so I have a little concern about the AC 420s...

More importantly I can sell the ACs and have $$ left over after I buy the Neuvations...enough for a flight deck and possibly pedals...

I don't race, ride mostly alone or in group rides. Would I see a speed/efficiency benifit from the AC 420s?

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
rob999 said:
I have a new pair of American Classic 420s about to arrive w/ new bike but I am not sure if they are the right wheels for me. I am 200lbs so I have a little concern about the AC 420s...

More importantly I can sell the ACs and have $$ left over after I buy the Neuvations...enough for a flight deck and possibly pedals...

I don't race, ride mostly alone or in group rides. Would I see a speed/efficiency benifit from the AC 420s?
Solo riding, you would in fact see an advantage from the 420's. Moreso than in a group, without a doubt (In a group you're able to draft more s aerodynamics is less critical). I recently aquired a Mavic Cosmic Elite wheelset, 30mm aero, and I LOVE it, I can definitely feel the aero effect. might be that my previous wheelset was [email protected] But yeah, you will see a benefit.
Small worry would be that there are threads about the AM hubs dying horrible deaths with riders suffering similarly. There are some on this forum, somewhat recent. With a 170lb rider I'd be a bit worried about the rear hub - that seems to be where the cracking is. 200lb could be problematic. Hell, I'm 150 and wouldnt pay upwards of 300 for em. Though if I could get em for 300 I would ;). As every day wheels... bad. As special event wheels (That special, superfast, once a month ride, or whatever), go for it!
-estone2

· Registered
359 Posts
rob999 said:

The difference would be whatever difference 1/2 lb. of weight would make to you. It would make no difference at all to me. I did something similar a little while ago. I sold some classic 350's and bought Neuvation M28. The Neuvations were sturdier and better built. They also had better hub bearings and rolled a little better. They weighed less than 1/2 lb. more. I think the 1/2 lb. is easily worth it for better wheels - particularly since the better wheels are less expensive. Weight weenieism is for strong racers and light bike hobbyists. I don't think it is a good value for the rest of us.

· Registered
357 Posts
I'm 195#, down from 220# when I got my bike with AC 420 wheels, and with about 1000 miles on them I have no complaints. They have held true, and are fantastic. You really can feel the aero advantage, if you've got the power to spin them up to the 25-30mph range they are pretty easy to keep there. I've used them on solo rides, group rides, road races, and time trials. They are my every day wheelset. The hub problems I believe are with the 350's from last year, and the problem has been resolved. I'm still keeping an eye on the bearings, but replacing the cartrige bearings periodically shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people running these rims on 29'er mountain bikes, I think they'll be fine for the road.

· Registered
180 Posts
I just replaced the freehub body on an American Classic 420 today. It's probably the poorest design I've ever seen and was the subject of a nationwide recall at one point (which was why I was replacing it, under warranty). That said, it still sucks and hasn't struck me as a particularly high-performing wheel. With the kind of money that you are going to spend on a set of 420s, you could probably have a shop build a wheelset with King hubs and Open Pros. Those weigh less and will last so much longer than just about anything else on the market. Of course, the marketing guys would have you believe that all this other trash about 'stiffer, and more responsive' so you'll have to make your own decision. There's a reason that you don't see loads of shop mechanics rolling with those things. Avoid the Mavic wheels too - their freehubs use a nylon bushing which lasts less than a season of heavy riding and will wear out and require replacing.

I've been really impressed with the Hugi 240 and, of course, the King hubs (which is what I ride on). The design and engineering of the freehubs has been very good and they last. Similar kinds of results with the Shimano hubs. Any decent shop should be able to build you a set of King wheels with those rims and butted spokes for $700, including labor. You can also probably get a pair from Colorado Cyclist, though their quality seems to be a bit weak lately. Good luck.

· Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marimba,
I am not sure you are echoing anyone?

My CR420s are the new Hub and when I contacted AC the new weight limits for the 420s is now listed as 215lbs.

Again, not saying you are wrong, that is one of my concerns...but none of the other posts have mentioned this issue.

· Registered
9,274 Posts
I am 195 and have pair of the M28 and they have been great, was offered a great deal in a set of Cr 420 just today and turned it down b/c of concern of the weight limit. Even though not over it being close to the max raises concern b/c of the stress put on the wheel, I ride in MIddle Ga. and get out in some pretty isolated areas w/ not much but open fields I would hate to be itn the middle of no where and the wheel fail for some reasen it would be a long misarable way to no where. In all fairness I guess I take that chance w/ any item on the bike but these M28 are one hell of a wheel, very smooth rolling wheels. Hell even have set Korso's that have been put through hell, rode all winter on some really rough roads 2k mi w/ no problems, check dish and true wekkly w/ zero problems nvere had to touch them

· Registered
178 Posts
I weigh 220 lbs and have had a set of AC 420's for over a year. Outside of the very normal tweak that was needed to rear wheel alignment after the first two hundred miles, they have been perfect. It seems to me those who have AC wheels mostly report things are fine and those who don't recount horror stories from other unknown rider/owners.

· Registered
4 Posts
AC 420's are sturdy. I'm 6'2",205 lbs and I race on them! Their recall was on a $.50 cam plate. I've ridden many wheels over the years but AC consistantly performs. Their magnesium 300 dollar for dollar are absoultely the fastest wheels out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.