Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've avoided their wheels for a number of years, mainly based on the occasional testimony from users of this forum. Too many tales of hubs failing and riders left standing by the side of the road.

Last year I gave in and bought a pair of 350s. I was pretty happy for the first couple of hundred miles, until the inevitable recall notice was posted. Everyone with "S" series within a date range. I know some of you were hit with this too.

So I got the part and I did the upgrade - not too hard, pull the hub body and replace the "spring." I rode them for a couple of hundred more miles, with an annoying skip of a cog tooth every once in a while. I regreased them and that problem went away.

Tonight, I took that bike out for a shakedown ride in advance of the upcoming Tour of Tucson Mountains. The bike was performing well, I did 4 or 5 short powered climbs, no problems.

Came home and made some adjustments to my saddle and the level of my hoods. Rode down the driveway, turned on the street and stood up to accelerate. I was greeted immediately with a serious skip of a tooth and then something went loose in the hub and I was plowing my head into the tarmac.

Seeing stars, I stood up and waited for the engineering reports to come in from all decks. Starting at the top, splitting headache, bruised and bloodied shoulder, bloodied hip, really torn up knee, re-opening some proud-flesh from a crash I had last April, forearm and elbow skin sandpapered away. By far the worst crash I've had since I broke some ribs about 10 years ago. More importantly, the bike looks okay, nothing obvious other than a seriously gouged drive side pedal. My Giro Atmos is cracked down the side and really compressed along the top. The cranks turn freely in both directions without moving the wheel. Clearly the guts of the hub are fractured.

I'm not here to condemn AC, at least not yet. Just wanted to let those of you who had the 350 recall upgrade done that all might not be wonderful. Be careful. I plan on having a heart to heart with them tomorrow.

· Get me to In&Out
5,419 Posts
Good thing your street gets little traffic. Imagine if that had been on Coralles Road or 550! Good to hear you and your gear made it out of the altercation OK.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
Don't you know it.

There were two trucks coming from opposite directions when I went down. Both stopped to offer help.One woman even offered her First Aid kit. Nice to know there are still generous people out there.
Damn, Sam! Which bike did you go down on....er...with? Glad yer okay.

Ya still gonna do the Tour de TM's? I am, although I don't know how well with the green shite that I'm hacking up. The only thing that'll keep me from doing the ride is a 106 degree temp, festering boils all over my arse, or a visit to my home by Mila Jovovich....God bless her....uhm....soul.

· Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Damn......

sounds like even with all that, you were still lucky.

Heal well.

Keep us posted....I have the 420's from just post the recall period & so far (5,000+ miles) no problems.

Len

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today it looks like TdTM is pretty much a dream of the past. I have about 50% range of movement on my left shoulder - the opposite of the side I put in. Must be some sort of compressive stress. The rest of me is pretty much reduced to the oozing sores one expects from unforgiving asphalt. I think as adults, we're just not designed to fall from 6 feet in the air.

Even if Mila showed up and volunteered to paint my various wounds with Liquid Skin, I doubt I could muster the mettle the spend 3 hours in the saddle in the heat. Too bad, I like that ride.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
terry b said:
Today it looks like TdTM is pretty much a dream of the past. I have about 50% range of movement on my left shoulder - the opposite of the side I put in. Must be some sort of compressive stress. The rest of me is pretty much reduced to the oozing sores one expects from unforgiving asphalt. I think as adults, we're just not designed to fall from 6 feet in the air.

Even if Mila showed up and volunteered to paint my various wounds with Liquid Skin, I doubt I could muster the mettle the spend 3 hours in the saddle in the heat. Too bad, I like that ride.
That's too bad. Maybe you oughta see a doc.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty pissed today, last night I was still in shock.

Spoke with them this morning, got an RA# to return the wheel. The guy on the phone was helpful, and contrite, but we'll see if this doesn't end up being "my" fault as I did the hub upgrade (not that there was anything more to it than pulling off the freehub and swapping springs.) I'd love to take it apart and have a look inside, but I don't want to change anything in there before they look at it.

I'll get it off to them in the next couple of days, and I'll report back with the findings.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
WOW.....Terry. Just now heard about your spill. Glad you were'nt hurt really bad. A bummer when you put trust into something, only for it to fail you in such a catastrofic way.
~ But you'll heal up, dude....and there will be other rides to enjoy.

· Registered
79 Posts
Great. I just bought a used bike with these as a selling point. How do you know what was recalled? This is how they were described to me (American Classic Sprint 350 with CNC sides and Radial Stainless Spokes). I can't afford a fall like the one described having had ACL surgery last Sept. Please advise!! Please!!

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Armagh said:
Great. I just bought a used bike with these as a selling point. How do you know what was recalled? This is how they were described to me (American Classic Sprint 350 with CNC sides and Radial Stainless Spokes). I can't afford a fall like the one described having had ACL surgery last Sept. Please advise!! Please!!
Look for an "S" in the serial number on the back hub.

Recall Infor

· Registered
491 Posts
I have been in cycling for 15 years, worked in shops for about 6 so far, and have never seen a product get as much bad press as an american classic rear hub, heck the deore xt sharkfin chainstay thing worked better than Am rear hubs. I had a pair and they roasted themselves in about 300 miles on the road, then I bought Kysrium SL's which are still on my bike today with around 6000 miles, i lubed the freehub body twice, otherwise zero maitnence. It's a wonder people still by these, i was lured by the light weight, but there are a lot of other hubs that are just as light and a heck of alot more durable. Anyway I know people have there own opinions and all of you may not agree with me, and there are people out there with like 7000 miles on AM rear hubs that have preformed flawlessly, but on my personal scorecard I have seen one positive for every 50 negatives when it comes to there hubs. That IMO thats just pitiful for any comapny regarless of the products they make.

· eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your input has added to the already roaring fire I have going on this topic in my little pea brain. As you've said - many people love them and swear by them but I too have heard far more tales of woe about these than any of the other big hub MFGRs.

Which brings me to where I am today. As I sit here writing the cover letter and sealing up the box to send the thing back, I'm wondering if I will ever be able to trust the damn things again. While I don't expect it, let's say I get a replacement. Am I going to be able to ride that wheel? Looking down at the mess that is the skin on my knee, and having just finished a letter to Giro that will accompany my Atmos back for a crash replacement, I have to say - I just don't know.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.