Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! I acctually did a search after posting this and I found the same thing. I think its time to look elsewhere for hubs...maybe speedcific?

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
lancerracer said:
How are these hubs?
horrible. they're shimano compatible ;)

i think if you do a search in the forums, you'll find this general response:
many people hate them and will never use them
few poeple have had great success with them
quite a few people think they're good hubs if you take care of them. don't ride in the rain, or if you do service them.

at least this is the general response you'll find

·
Tourist
989 Posts
as far as I know speedcific has the same kind of mixed / bad reviews. Personally I have a set of Am Classic 350, I've been happy with them for about 1000 miles but don't ride them in the rain, and don't race, and I don't expect them to last forever.

For good hubs the general consensus seems to be that King (and other Phil Woods) and DT are the best, followed by Dura-Ace/Record. If you're putting a set of wheels together, I don't see the point of getting hubs that are subject to a big debate. Maybe you'll be happy with them, maybe not - if not, you'll swear many times.

After reading many posts about hubs, I got a set of DTHugi240/open pros a couple years ago, they work great, and it's real easy to take the freewheel off and grease the thing.

Pierre

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
lancerracer said:
I believe that these have been talked about before, but I just wanted some feedback before I bite the bullet. How are these hubs?

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Classi...220911584QQcategoryZ36144QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

How do these compare to Dura Ace? Has anybody had experience with these hubs? Thanks
I have both

So far,
Dura Ace - 0 problems and one service in 10,000 miles
AM Classic - 2 problems and 3 services in 1,500 miles

As stated below - they work great if you take care of them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
White Industries

Consider the hubs made by White Industries. They have a good reputation. I recently emailed spinlitecycling that specialize in wheels and they highly recommended White Industries. They made the hubs for Reynolds wheels through 2005.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Go with the Whites

HazemBata said:
Consider the hubs made by White Industries. They have a good reputation. I recently emailed spinlitecycling that specialize in wheels and they highly recommended White Industries. They made the hubs for Reynolds wheels through 2005.
I own two sets of White Industries LTA hubs and they are the best. Always smooth and easy to maintain, with only 3 set screws holding the rear axel to the hub. Also they have a titanium cassette body for long lasting lightweight performance. I hear good things about the new H1 hubs but can’t seem to find a weight on them. I have a pair of 32-hole Mavic Reflex tubular rims laced to my LTA’s that I use for training and some racers and they hold up great and are very light (1480 grams). I hope you go with these great hubs instead of American Classics. Everyone always looks at the American Classics because of their weight (58 front, 205 rear) but the Whites are (90 front, 265 rear). Not to big of a difference in my book as my bike weighs 15.48lbs with out cages and without carbon wheels.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
SEK82089 said:
I own two sets of White Industries LTA hubs and they are the best. Always smooth and easy to maintain, with only 3 set screws holding the rear axel to the hub. Also they have a titanium cassette body for long lasting lightweight performance. I hear good things about the new H1 hubs but can’t seem to find a weight on them. I have a pair of 32-hole Mavic Reflex tubular rims laced to my LTA’s that I use for training and some racers and they hold up great and are very light (1480 grams). I hope you go with these great hubs instead of American Classics. Everyone always looks at the American Classics because of their weight (58 front, 205 rear) but the Whites are (90 front, 265 rear). Not to big of a difference in my book as my bike weighs 15.48lbs with out cages and without carbon wheels.
H1 weights: F, 73g; R, 230g. Actual weights as weighed by ligero.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
alienator said:
Nice, now i think i need to upgrade my race wheels to the H1's.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
alienator said:
Do you know where i can buy the White H1's? I started looking after i posted and could not find anyone selling them without a rim and spokes. Do you know if i can order them from Performance Bike?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
SEK82089 said:
Do you know where i can buy the White H1's? I started looking after i posted and could not find anyone selling them without a rim and spokes. Do you know if i can order them from Performance Bike?
I don't think Performance carries a very broad range of components. Check out White Industries Dealer List. You also might pm ligero or email him. His email addy is at his site. He builds with 'em, so he may be able to tell you how to get 'em, too.

With some of the lightweight but sturdyish rims out there, now, you can use the H1s to build up a set of clinchers in the 1350g ballpark that would be robust enough for every day training. Muy tasty. And those are some might fine hubs to look at. Very comely.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
one more +

from the white ind. site, it looks like their full msrp is less than what a "good" retail deal on dt 240s will run you. very very attractive.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
order from

just did a quick search. it looks like superspokes.com has the h1 hubs. $300 for the set.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
ampastoral said:
just did a quick search. it looks like superspokes.com has the h1 hubs. $300 for the set.
I found that too, but their site is super-confusing. looks like there's no way to order just the hubs online - probably have to call.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
alienator said:
I don't think Performance carries a very broad range of components. Check out White Industries Dealer List. You also might pm ligero or email him. His email addy is at his site. He builds with 'em, so he may be able to tell you how to get 'em, too.

With some of the lightweight but sturdyish rims out there, now, you can use the H1s to build up a set of clinchers in the 1350g ballpark that would be robust enough for every day training. Muy tasty. And those are some might fine hubs to look at. Very comely.

Oh well I use tubulars so I can get 1350g pretty easy. In fact my father has a front wheel for the 80’s that weights 490 grams and the pair is 1265 with out a free wheel cassette. I could get less than 1400 grams with my LTA wheel but I wanted to use a stronger spoke for all-purpose use. I am looking at putting the H1's on a pair of Nimble Fly’s though. Should be some where around 1270 grams with Sapim Lasers front and non-drive side and CX-Rays drive side. That’s pretty good for $930 with out shipping or tax on any of the orders. I don’t know what nipples are included with the Nimble rims so I can’t say what they weigh but they can’t weigh more than DT Hexagonal 2.0x12mm. That is only 43g for 44 spokes. So 1272 gram carbon wheelset for $930 is a lot better that I can find anywhere even on ebay. Who knows when I will have the time and the money to put them together but I will post picture when I am done.

$540 for 2 Nimble rims (680g)
$300 for H1 hubs (73g front, 230g rear)
$48.96 for 12 Sapim CX-Ray (black) (60g)
$40.32 for 32 Sapim Laser (black) (186g)
Nipples are included with Nimble’s rims
929.28 without shipping charges 1229g without nipple weight

Also does Cane Creek sell Sapim’s spoke or do they just use them on their wheel. I based my price on the prices on their web site. These wheels should be pretty cool.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
SEK82089 said:
Should be some where around 1270 grams with Sapim Lasers front and non-drive side and CX-Rays drive side.
Why the mix of Lasers and CX-Rays? Why not just CX-Rays all the way around?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Srexy said:
Courtesy of Troy @ Ligero - beginning to regret my decision for anodized black...
Why?

I'm pullin' the trigger on a set of wheels from Troy in about a week or so, with H1 hubs. They'll be anodized black (by Troy's guy, not White). Of course black matches everything else on me bike, but I also would shy from the polished Al look just cuz it looks so bad when it's dirty.

Black is always good. I believe in none more black.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
alienator said:
Why the mix of Lasers and CX-Rays? Why not just CX-Rays all the way around?
The cost... I know that the CX-Ray’s are strong but I just don't see spending $180 on spokes when I could save that money and buy another pair of White's. Also Nimble's rims are very strong and I only weigh 140lbs right now. I hope to be closer to 135lbs by the begging of the season. Reynolds only uses the Lasers on their DV-UL and SV-KOM wheelsets, so if the CX Ray’s are so strong than why wouldn't Reynolds use them on their 16 hole and 20 hole wheels? I want the CX-Ray’s for my own piece of mind. This way I know it’s a little stronger.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I think I Will go with the whites and either open pros or reflexs...I was thinking about going with IRD cadence rims, but i heard they have some durability issues...Eitherwas I should be able to get them down to 1500grams...which should shave about .5lbs over my K- elites...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts