Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I just received my american classic sprint 350s in the mail and there were no skewers in the box. That issue is being resolved through the retailer, but I went to put them on my bike using Shimano cheapy skewers and it seems that they are too big to fit through the hub. I've tried skewers from a shimano wh-r550 wheelset and an older (6500?)ultegra wheelset. I just need to know if this is normal.
Thanks.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
waynesan76 said:
Hello all.
I just received my american classic sprint 350s in the mail and there were no skewers in the box. That issue is being resolved through the retailer, but I went to put them on my bike using Shimano cheapy skewers and it seems that they are too big to fit through the hub. I've tried skewers from a shimano wh-r550 wheelset and an older (6500?)ultegra wheelset. I just need to know if this is normal.
Thanks.
Sometimes there is a little extra material in the hole of the hub. A good tap will push the skewer in and you'll never have the problem again. The material is only on the outer edge of the hole. The rest is hollowed out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
ergott said:
Sometimes there is a little extra material in the hole of the hub. A good tap will push the skewer in and you'll never have the problem again. The material is only on the outer edge of the hole. The rest is hollowed out.
Sorry, I miss-read your problem. Ergott is right, this will fix the problem.

Often times the QR is a sloppy fit though the axle of the AM Classic hubs, where the hole in the axle appears to be too big (not the QR)

Sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, but...

The tapping thing isn't working. I have "tapped" on it with force that I would even say is excessive. I even have to use a cassete lockring tool and tap it from the other side to remove the previously tapped-in skewer. It looks like a pretty fragile hub, so I dont want to use a hammer or anything. Has anyone ever heard of reaming the inner surface of the hub to remove any anodizing or paint? I really don't want to send this wheelset back to TX, so I'm willing to take a stab at anything.

·
Registered
604 Posts
waynesan76 said:
The tapping thing isn't working. I have "tapped" on it with force that I would even say is excessive. I even have to use a cassete lockring tool and tap it from the other side to remove the previously tapped-in skewer. It looks like a pretty fragile hub, so I dont want to use a hammer or anything. Has anyone ever heard of reaming the inner surface of the hub to remove any anodizing or paint? I really don't want to send this wheelset back to TX, so I'm willing to take a stab at anything.
Is the hole in the axle round, or is it oval? As you mention, these hubs are fairly fragile, if the hub has been clamped in an axle vise with too much force the axle caps can distort, resulting in an oval hole. If this is the case you will need to replace the axle cap.

If the hole is round, then using a handheld reamer to remove the excess material should not be a problem. (If you can get the cassette remover into the hole then you should be only removing about 0.5mm)

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
waynesan76 said:
Wait, are we talking front or rear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the front, "micro 58" I beleive. The rear fits just fine. I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I removed the end caps. Here's what I found...

The holes that are drilled through the end caps are off-center and not drilled straight through, but slightly diagonal. I ve managed to ream out the caps so that the skewers will fit through, but as the skewer holes are not straight, it is a very tight fit from one end cap to the other. Is this a manufacturing defect, or are they designed this way? I've mounted the wheel successfully, but it just doesn't seem right. I would like to get some new end caps to install. Do you know where I could get some?

Thanks for your continued help on this matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts