Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AP Wire said:
BEIJING (Reuters) - Unidentified members of the U.S. cycling squad arrived at Beijing airport wearing black respiratory masks, a U.S. Olympic committee spokesman said on Tuesday.
ADVERTISEMENT

One woman wearing a mask which covered the nose and mouth was in what appeared to be an American team T-shirt, photographs showed. A male wore a white T-shirt with BEIJING in black letters across the chest.

"I suspect it was their choice, you would have to talk to them as to what prompted them to do this. I will say this, I am not a scientist, but in my view that was unnecessary," said Darryl Seibel, chief communications officer of the U.S. Olympic Committee.

A U.S. team official said members of the cycling squad were wearing the masks but declined further comment.

Beijing's pollution has been a cause for concern for athletes heading for the Games which begin on Friday.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^ i agree. everyone keeps saying that the olympics should be politic free but it giving the chinese the games was a purely political decision. everyone thought that it would encourage better human rights and a more open system. right. its not like there were places with more space, better lodging, better air, less political strife, and better human rights. the air quality is so poor most of us wouldnt allow our pets out in it.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
no kidding, +1 for the mask.

if they're smart, they're training with the things to see how it performs in competition. could be an advantage, who knows. maybe WADA will call it illegal performance enhancement...

... idly wondering how many olympians will develop post 9/11 syndrome...

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
Creakyknees said:
no kidding, +1 for the mask.

if they're smart, they're training with the things to see how it performs in competition. could be an advantage, who knows. maybe WADA will call it illegal performance enhancement...

... idly wondering how many olympians will develop post 9/11 syndrome...
Yea, the IOC really farked up this one; ANYONE could have told them this would end up happening. Blockheads.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
That's Bobby Lea and Meatball.

I did a UCI World in China in 2001, two weeks before they were awarded the games. It was clear that the Chinese were taking it very seriously and it was a big final test for their being awarded the games. Everyone went well out to make it as good for the athletes as possible. However, the one thing that was really bad was the air. I have asthma and it was in full force over there. I was there for 8 days and even when I came back, I had bad symptoms for a month.

I did an IOC event in El Salvador in 2002 and the air quality was so bad that I got pneumonia after the 50k TT. I had to do the points race with full blown pneumonia (against the team doctor's orders, obviously). I got so much lung damage and residual scarring that I ended my pro career shortly after that. It's only this year, 6 years later, did I decide that I wanted to race bikes again and feel that maybe I was healthy enough (had another injury in early 2002 as well) to give it another go.

Bobby and Mike should not be the only ones wearing masks. Everyone should.

·
Registered
896 Posts
if I trained my whole life for the olympics and there was something so simple that I could do as a hedge, it would be a no brainer. F it, I'd wear a burka if I thought it would prevent sickness. besides, many asians, especially the japanese walk around all the time with surgical masks. the irony is that they do when they themselves are sick, so as to avoid spreading their sickness!

can you imagine if the games were in the US and other teams showed up in black "terrorist" face masks.....

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,324 Posts
bauerb said:
can you imagine if the games were in the US and other teams showed up in black "terrorist" face masks.....

Well, if the Olympics were held in New Jersey, Yes :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
The olympics should NEVER have been held in China - pure political BS!!
I refuse to watch 1 minute of olympic coverage this year just because of it being held in China and the issues associated around the olympic games.

Michael

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KMan said:
The olympics should NEVER have been held in China - pure political BS!!
I refuse to watch 1 minute of olympic coverage this year just because of it being held in China and the issues associated around the olympic games.
Yeah... so your cable got cut off too, huh? Got to pay those bills. :D :D

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So, if the United States and other developed nations implemented an immediate
zero-pollution policy, the world would still be going to hell in a handbag.
How uplifting a thought.

·
Registered
337 Posts
TheDon said:
No, he wants to set a record, the setting is not conducive to a new WR, so he's running the 10k instead.
Thanks for the correction. Thought I had heard he was skipping it altogether, but can't seem to find that reference. It's not like Ethiopia will have trouble winning 10k/marathon medals anyway.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.