Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start building a Salsa La Raza bike and trying to use mostly domestic parts. Looks like i will go with cane creek brakes and headset and wheels. What is a good domestically produced equivalent to ultegra/chorus? any thoughts out there on front/rear d. , and crank choices? thanks.

anyone else riding an all/mostly domestic bike?
 

·
Ti me up
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but this question has come up a few times, and some parts lists have been put together. Try a search for "domestic" or American-made" or "American manufacturers" under General, Complete Bikes, and Components and see if you don't find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
I might be wrong, but I would be very, very surprised if your frame was actually made in the United States. If you're actually trying to build a 'domestic bike', it seems like a custom frame made from True Temper (also no longer all American-made) or Reynolds (still all American, I think) might be a better place to start. I would also guess that very little of Cane Creek's offerings are actually America-made, too.

And to top it off, it's pretty much impossible. Your options are slim: Reynolds or AC/WO fork; some Zero-G bits and pieces; King hubs and DT Swiss rims/spokes (maybe not even rims?); and a custom frame. For everything else, you're pretty much SOL. You could do pretty well if you're willing to include "old world" European manufacturers, too...
 
G

·
Actually Reynolds is a UK company and apart from a brief sojourn through the hands of public companies in the US (which went broke), always has been.


The framesets and components you are mentioning are made off-shore.

As mentioned. If you want a domestic frameset you will likely have to buy custom.

If you want domestic components (only certain choices available) be prepared to pay through the nose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,860 Posts
Bad news

brad nicholson said:
I am about to start building a Salsa La Raza bike and trying to use mostly domestic parts. Looks like i will go with cane creek brakes and headset and wheels. What is a good domestically produced equivalent to ultegra/chorus? any thoughts out there on front/rear d. , and crank choices? thanks.

anyone else riding an all/mostly domestic bike?
I think you're going to have a hard time making anything except maybe a fixed gear with all US made parts (and even there you'll have a hard time with things like the handlebars).

Other than maybe some ashtabula type cranks on low end Huffys and Murrays, I think the last cranks made in the US were CNC machined models made in the late '80s/early '90s by companies like Topline and Grafton (most companies who made these are no longer in business, or have changed to other types of designs that are manufactered in Asia). The last US made derailleurs were also CNC'ed parts, made by companies like Paul and White Industries in the early '90s, also now no longer produced.

The parts you have already mentioned are also not US made. According to the Salsa Cycles Tech FAQs, Salsa frames are made in Taiwan. Cane Creek brakes are also made in Asia (the 200SL models are reworked Dia-Compes, and the SR-5s appear to be re-badged Tektros). Cane Creek wheels appear to use mostly Velocity rims (made in Australia), but possibly some of the carbon rims are made in the US (although they are most likely made in Asia). I don't know where the headsets and hubs are made, but I'd be surprised if they are made in the US.
 

·
100% torqued
Joined
·
766 Posts
No deraileurs. White Industries, and Paul cranks are it, both are SS/fixie specific. King, White, Paul Hubs are the US choices. Paul's cassette hub isn't out yet. No bottom brackets. King makes a headset. Not a single shifter is US made. Thomson stems and posts are US made. No seats I can think of. No tires or tubes. DT spokes are made in Gran Junction, CO. No cassettes are US made that I know of. Just put Campy on it and be done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,673 Posts
what's so important about it being domestic made (start the flame)? Put on shimano or campy and do a ride report after 300 miles. it's great to support domestic manufacuters but not at the expense of your riding experience.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
What are your plans for tires, bars, stem, post and saddle? Bar tape, tubes? Your frame and brake choices are already Asian, as mentioned above.

Just about "all" types of bike parts are marketed by American companies. In which case you're paying to employ shippers, admins, marketers and owners. And possibly product designers. Not the people who make the parts. You're essentially supporting the economy the same way as you would be if you bought offshore parts through a US mail order house. Well, except you're rewarding one more level of the business chain.

I for one have never understood the "buy domestic" quest. Someone please explain it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow...this crowd is quite ridiculous. by saying domestic perhaps i should have specified american owned companies; that is good enough. i have five bikes. i think it would be cool if you had one that was all american branded.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
brad nicholson said:
wow...this crowd is quite ridiculous. by saying domestic perhaps i should have specified american owned companies; that is good enough. i have five bikes. i think it would be cool if you had one that was all american branded.
So exactly what is the difference between American-branded, Whatever-Country-made componentry and Whatever-Country-branded, Whatever-Country-made componentry? It's not like the stuff says "Made in the USA" on it.

How "American" is a company that is nothing more than a marketing front for off-shore stuff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
terry b said:
So exactly what is the difference between American-branded, Whatever-Country-made componentry and Whatever-Country-branded, Whatever-Country-made componentry? It's not like the stuff says "Made in the USA" on it.

How "American" is a company that is nothing more than a marketing front for off-shore stuff?
well..say you live in chicago and want a drivetrain. by buying sram stuff you're ultimately lining the pockets of a local company that presumably pays some taxes that pay for things taxes pay for and probably employs a few people. whereas if you were to buy campy or shimano, you're helping a US distributor and perhaps your lbs I guess, but thats it. I don't feel strongly one way or the other, and Im certainly not a hugely nationalistic person, but I can see the appeal of what the OP is doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as usual with many internet boards they end up hijacked by people trying to drive the post beyond the stated topic. thanks everyone for the input but i'm sure that most of you, like me, don't have time to argue with people who obviously just want to spar via the net just for discord's sake. as i said before with five bikes, most of them all or largely foreign badged i thought it might be cool to have an american badged/branded bike. nowhere did i say anything about being nationalistic, by only americanist, or anything else. thanks again to those who had something worthwhile to add to the discourse...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,699 Posts
brad nicholson said:
as usual with many internet boards they end up hijacked by people trying to drive the post beyond the stated topic. thanks everyone for the input but i'm sure that most of you, like me, don't have time to argue with people who obviously just want to spar via the net just for discord's sake. as i said before with five bikes, most of them all or largely foreign badged i thought it might be cool to have an american badged/branded bike. nowhere did i say anything about being nationalistic, by only americanist, or anything else. thanks again to those who had something worthwhile to add to the discourse...
If it's just US ownership that is important then it will be quite easy but maybe a little pricey.

  • SRAM Force or Rival Groupset
  • Bontrager, American Classic, Zipp or HED wheels
  • Salsa stem, bars, tape & seatpost
  • King headset
I'm not sure if any of the tyre or saddle companies are US owned.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i read a few reviews of the new sram stuff. looks pretty bomber, the rival is probably not as nice as ultegra/chorus but they just started making it so what do you expect? however, i am curious if anyone here is riding the sram road drivetrain? hopefully i'll have the bike done by the end of summer, having to buy it piece by piece since i just pocketed a new touring bike.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
I'm going to assume that you're referring to me when you say "hijacked", which if fine. But that's not my intent. I have a lot of bikes, I've done "all black", "all white" and "all gray." Never occurred to me to do "all American" because it's not a sentiment I understand. If you don't want to explain why it's interesting to you, that's fine. But please don't assume that just because someone doesn't immediately snap to what you're doing, they're being argumentative or contentious. Sometimes we're just interested in understanding your logic. Which is supposed to be what an exchange of ideas is about.
 
G

·
terry b said:
I'm going to assume that you're referring to me when you say "hijacked", which if fine. But that's not my intent. I have a lot of bikes, I've done "all black", "all white" and "all gray." Never occurred to me to do "all American" because it's not a sentiment I understand. If you don't want to explain why it's interesting to you, that's fine. But please don't assume that just because someone doesn't immediately snap to what you're doing, they're being argumentative or contentious. Sometimes we're just interested in understanding your logic. Which is supposed to be what an exchange of ideas is about.
See, Terry I read to OP's original post and then his blurb about hi-jacking. Then I read your response above and I think, frankly, that you are being way too nice to the fellow. By this time I am ready to tell him to quit being so d&mn smug and go p$ss up a rope, but I won't do that because I'm too nice. ;)

The original post did not say "something made by a company with HQ or majority ownership or some employees in the US of A". The original post in fact said "domestically produced", hard to get from that that he doesn't actually mean "domestically produced".

On the assumption that none of us are mind-readers, in the absence of a clearly stated question that is not open to interpretation or mis-understanding, do NOT complain here if you get an answer you don't want.

People answer questions out of genuine goodwill and the willingness of any to do will disappear quickly with this type of response.

I am tempted to turn S2H loose on the OP.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top