Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Phil/Paul won't shut up about the "American Teams" in the tour this year, Colombia, and Garmin.

Why is "Colombia" all of a sudden an American team? They were never labeled as American when they were T-mobile, but now they are because of an American based sponsor?

If that's the case, then why isn't CSC an American team? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,838 Posts
Kestreljr said:
So Phil/Paul won't shut up about the "American Teams" in the tour this year, Colombia, and Garmin.

Why is "Colombia" all of a sudden an American team? They were never labeled as American when they were T-mobile, but now they are because of an American based sponsor?

If that's the case, then why isn't CSC an American team? :confused:
CSC finally moved their HQ to USA. Phil/Paul probably don't know about it.

ANyways, I don't think SAXOBANK is anywhere near USA.. so.. forget about the CSC thing now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am more confused about the Columbia thing- In my mind I see team owners (High Road, Slipsteam, Tailwind, etc...) to determine the "nationality" of the team, not the sponsor. I just wish they had been identified as American when they were T-mobile.

I read somewhere that for all the euro teams, they ID the team's nationality by the management's home country, not the sponsor's home country- all though they are often one in the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
CSC cycling is the name owned by Riis from my understanding. CSC the computer company is no longer involved as a sponsor. Riis' ownership of the name is the only way they have kept CSC in the name, I believe.

As for High Roads/Columbia, I believe Bill Stapleton is now the majority owner of the team, and since he is American and US-based, the ownership goes with him. It doesn't hurt that the title sponsor is also an American company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Kestreljr said:
I guess I am more confused about the Columbia thing- In my mind I see team owners (High Road, Slipsteam, Tailwind, etc...) to determine the "nationality" of the team, not the sponsor. I just wish they had been identified as American when they were T-mobile.

I read somewhere that for all the euro teams, they ID the team's nationality by the management's home country, not the sponsor's home country- all though they are often one in the same.
It depends where they have their license.
CSC has it in denmark, columbia in the states.
Back when the pro-tour was not dead there could be reasons to get license in one country over another since there was only a certain number of licenses to each country.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,245 Posts
When Bob Stapelton became the owner of T-Mobile( don't know if that was before or after they lost T-Mobile as a sposor) he changed the name to High Road, moved the HQ to San Louis Obispo, CA from Europe, and regersterd them as an American team.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Kestreljr said:
So Phil/Paul won't shut up about the "American Teams" in the tour this year, Colombia, and Garmin.

Why is "Colombia" all of a sudden an American team? They were never labeled as American when they were T-mobile, but now they are because of an American based sponsor?

If that's the case, then why isn't CSC an American team? :confused:
They have to fill the "Lance gap" somehow. Many Americans need an American team to get behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
registeration

krisdrum said:
CSC cycling is the name owned by Riis from my understanding. CSC the computer company is no longer involved as a sponsor. Riis' ownership of the name is the only way they have kept CSC in the name, I believe.

As for High Roads/Columbia, I believe Bill Stapleton is now the majority owner of the team, and since he is American and US-based, the ownership goes with him. It doesn't hurt that the title sponsor is also an American company.
CSC is the sponsor, not the name of Riis's company. CSC is still a sponsor of the team through the end of the season. Riis's company is called "Riis Cycling."

Columbia is an American team because Stapleton moved the HQ and license to the United States, not because Stapleton is American.

Asiago
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
Kestreljr said:
So Phil/Paul won't shut up about the "American Teams" in the tour this year, Colombia, and Garmin.

Why is "Colombia" all of a sudden an American team? They were never labeled as American when they were T-mobile, but now they are because of an American based sponsor?

If that's the case, then why isn't CSC an American team? :confused:
It's an American broadcast, so they pump up the Americans. All four of them. It gets annoying, but they've always done that. They pump up any rider from the British Commonwealth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
I think this touches on a problem with pro cycling. The teams are virtually anonymous and have no brand profile. Whilst initially this maximises the return to the sponsor it means team owners can have comparatively little invested and when the going gets tough it is easier for them to cut and run. If owning a team was a multi million $ investment, with the profile to match, then management would take on a far more responsible approach to the conduct of its riders to protect the business.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,800 Posts
Kestreljr said:
So Phil/Paul won't shut up about the "American Teams" in the tour this year, Colombia, and Garmin.

Why is "Colombia" all of a sudden an American team? They were never labeled as American when they were T-mobile, but now they are because of an American based sponsor?

If that's the case, then why isn't CSC an American team? :confused:
It's an American broadcast, so they pump up the Americans. All four of them. It gets annoying, but they've always done that. They pump up any rider from the British Commonwealth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Asiago said:
CSC is the sponsor, not the name of Riis's company. CSC is still a sponsor of the team through the end of the season. Riis's company is called "Riis Cycling."

Columbia is an American team because Stapleton moved the HQ and license to the United States, not because Stapleton is American.

Asiago
Thanks for the correction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
mohair_chair said:
It's an American broadcast, so they pump up the Americans. All four of them. It gets annoying, but they've always done that. They pump up any rider from the British Commonwealth.
I've often wondered how Phil'n'Paul balance their bigging up of riders from all the nations they're broadcast in (USA/UK/Australia/South Africa are the main ones). You'd think that at some point they'd end up having to contradict themselves, or annoy viewers in one of the countries at the expense of the others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
baker921 said:
I think this touches on a problem with pro cycling. The teams are virtually anonymous and have no brand profile. Whilst initially this maximises the return to the sponsor it means team owners can have comparatively little invested and when the going gets tough it is easier for them to cut and run. If owning a team was a multi million $ investment, with the profile to match, then management would take on a far more responsible approach to the conduct of its riders to protect the business.
I agree. IIMHO it also causes issues with how Pro Cycling is able to market the sport.
Pro Cycling would benefit if there was less emphasis on the rider's country of origin and more on the team concept. When Versus lists the results of each stage the rider's country is shown but not his team. In MLB and the NBA there are lots of players from many countries, but that fact is just a minor talking point during competition. And though its great to honor cycling's national champions, for them to ride with a special jersey just confuses the casual fan who is trying to follow the race.

Again, comparing to MLB, the japanese love Ichiro, and Nintendo is part owner of the Mariners, but that is a minor part of the public image of the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,627 Posts
If you want to make the TdF really interesting to "mainstream American" viewers, go back to what the TdF did 40 years ago: race with national teams. Last spring the TdF actually considered this to try to stamp out doping. According to the Telegraph of London: "National teams were part of the event from 1930 to 1961, and returned briefly in 1967 and 1968 after a strike over doping in 1966 prompted them to be brought back." So when Tom Simpson died in 1967, he was racing for the British team.

Chef Tony said:
I agree. IIMHO it also causes issues with how Pro Cycling is able to market the sport.
Pro Cycling would benefit if there was less emphasis on the rider's country of origin and more on the team concept. When Versus lists the results of each stage the rider's country is shown but not his team. In MLB and the NBA there are lots of players from many countries, but that fact is just a minor talking point during competition. And though its great to honor cycling's national champions, for them to ride with a special jersey just confuses the casual fan who is trying to follow the race.

Again, comparing to MLB, the japanese love Ichiro, and Nintendo is part owner of the Mariners, but that is a minor part of the public image of the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
In the case of Columbia, I wish they would have more than just one american rider at the Tour to be consider an "American team". Not just sponsorship or owner nationality. At least Garmin has more american riders at the Tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
yetidude said:
In the case of Columbia, I wish they would have more than just one american rider at the Tour to be consider an "American team". Not just sponsorship or owner nationality. At least Garmin has more american riders at the Tour.
How many Danish riders are on CSC?

The same amount of Americans on Columbia.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top