Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know what you guys think.... is Amgen a good sponsor for a high profile cycling event.
Their drugs are well known to be abused by endurance athletes. I know Amgen doesn't condone this abuse but it happens and it well documented...

Tell me you thoughts.

Thanks.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
BeerBike said:
I want to know what you guys think.... is Amgen a good sponsor for a high profile cycling event.
Their drugs are well known to be abused by endurance athletes. I know Amgen doesn't condone this abuse but it happens and it well documented...

Tell me you thoughts.

Thanks.
BeerBike... are you a good cyclist?

Beer has been known to be abused by endurance athletes and average joes (and janets) alike. I know that Beer is not necessarily evil, but I'm just thinking out loud ....

More seriously though, EPOGEN was invented to solve real medical issues. It's unfortunate that it's abused by athletes and weekend warriors, but is AMGEN making a killing selling drugs to the likes of David Millar?

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
BeerBike said:
Busch sponsors car racing and drivers who abuse their product do a lot more damage than bicyclists who abuse Amgen's.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I'm totally stoked that someone stepped up and pulled this event off and I hope they have continued success. I lvoe having an event like this in my backyard.

It's obviously a PR move for them and they do make legitimate medicines that help lots of people - does the fact that some people abuse those make them a bad company? I don't believe so.

Just my .02

-Rich

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not saying they are bad... just reasarch

I am not sayign that they are bad... I should have clarified, I am doing some research and am intersted in what cyclists think on the subject.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Good sponsor...

I think they're a good sponsor just for the mere fact that they bring tons o' money to the table, and are a huge bio-tech company. That some of their products get abused by some athletes is really no here nor there. I say, if anyone wants to bring the amount of money they're dumping into this sport, for be it from me to disparage their name. Now if only I could get my friend who works in the oncology department to score me some EPO, I'd be all set. :D

·
Springscylist
18 Posts
Amgen from the inside

I had the misforture to work as a contractor for Amgen. If you idiots that abuse their products knew how they manufacture these products, you would'nt use them unless it was a life threatening illness. Amgen has a culture of understaffing, intimidation and unrealistic deadlines. This culture leads to a staff of 80 hour per week Zombies. Nobody talks to anyone else, out of fear. Amgen personifies everything that is wrong with the Pharmaceutical Industry. All marketing and no substance. Under the Bush administration the FDA has lost the imputus it had gained in the 90's with manufacturing standards and thus companies are permitted to operate this way with little oversight.

·
Banned
608 Posts
BeerBike said:
is Amgen a good sponsor for a high profile cycling event.
It's rather surprising given the way EPO has corrupted the sport professional cycling. Someone with a tin ear must have made the decision. Sure, EPO is used for legitimate purposes and the total amount used by dopers is small, but that does not make the effect on professional cycling any less destructive.

It doesn't help that they got someone who used EPO to win the Tour de France to give out a stage's awards. Maybe the makers of Deca Durabolin can sponsor professional baseball and get Barry Bonds to hand out the trophies.

They would have been better off sponsoring a NASCAR team.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
They sponsored a bike race. That makes them a good sponsor.

As to your other comments, Amgen makes EPO for cancer patients and is not responsible for its misuse. It is a non-issue.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Bottechia69 said:
I had the misforture to work as a contractor for Amgen. If you idiots that abuse their products knew how they manufacture these products, you would'nt use them unless it was a life threatening illness. Amgen has a culture of understaffing, intimidation and unrealistic deadlines. This culture leads to a staff of 80 hour per week Zombies. Nobody talks to anyone else, out of fear. Amgen personifies everything that is wrong with the Pharmaceutical Industry. All marketing and no substance. Under the Bush administration the FDA has lost the imputus it had gained in the 90's with manufacturing standards and thus companies are permitted to operate this way with little oversight.
Dang! I did not know that. Guess I won't be sending them a resume after all. Thanks for the heads up.

Still, I approve of their sponsorship of bike races. Just because there are people that abuse their product, it does not mean they are evil. As others have mentioned, Amgen is not getting rich of the professional atheletes who abuse their products - they are making their money by supplying products that save a lot of lives.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
mohair_chair said:
They sponsored a bike race. That makes them a good sponsor.

As to your other comments, Amgen makes EPO for cancer patients and is not responsible for its misuse. It is a non-issue.
Agreed 1 million percent!

The Tour of California was a monumental success. There are two organizations to thank, AEG (the organizers) and Amgen. These two are the pillars of this already great race. Just think in 5 years how big this race is going to be.

In my view, Amgen made this all possible. I know the sad state of US bike sponsorships and it took a giant, giant leap of faith to commit millions and millions of pennies to a bike race.

So my hats off to Amgen. Before, they were just another bio-whaterver company. Now, I think they are a special company. Every sponsor, volunteer, spectator of the Tour of CA, my hats off to you as well.

francois

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Used to live a stone's throw from "Campus Amgen". They got money that's for sure. Anyone who started there (secretaries, etc)in the eighties and is still there - (multi)millionaire. My biggest gripe with all biotech companies is that they are not about preventive medicine. They just got a pill for everything once you got problems. Amgen (and other biotechs) are indirectly responsible (one of the reasons)for why health care is so costly.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
they support a cycling team as well

including 2004 US national 40 masters CX champ Mark Noble and US CX Nat amateur Jr CX team member Chance Noble. I dig the RBC'son their kit,is a tad weird. Heck sign me up? doI get microdoses as part of the gig? KIDDING!!!!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, considering I used to live of Hillcrest Dr. in Thousand Oaks (actually Newbury Park) before Amgen blew up and we made a ton of dough on our property I love them, glad to see them sponsoring a bike race too. A non-issue to me as well. How many people outside of message board peeps even correlate the two anyway.

Hats off to them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
My biggest gripe with all biotech companies is that they are not about preventive medicine. They just got a pill for everything once you got problems. Amgen (and other biotechs) are indirectly responsible (one of the reasons)for why health care is so costly.
I'm no expert on biotech business practices, and I don't doubt that the conflict of interest vis-a-vis preventive medicine comes into play sometimes. There is still a flip side, though, and that is that we're still learning a lot about the human body. I did some marketing work for a company before it was purchased by Amgen. The therapy I was marketing was being reviewed for a second use--they had discovered that in its original use, as a cancer therapy, it was also supressing the symptoms of another affliction. Not a cure, but it was helping people.

As far as race sponsorship goes, more power to Amgen. Now if RJ Reynolds tried to sponsor a bike race, I would feel differently...

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
giovanni sartori said:
Well, considering I used to live of Hillcrest Dr. in Thousand Oaks (actually Newbury Park) before Amgen blew up and we made a ton of dough on our property I love them, glad to see them sponsoring a bike race too. A non-issue to me as well. How many people outside of message board peeps even correlate the two anyway.

Hats off to them.
we used to be neighbors. Lived in NP right near the entrance to sycamore canyon. worked at the rockwell science center just across the canyon from amgen. there used to be a large oak tree a mountain lion would lay under many days(in the canyon)...then they built houses and lots of them...I do agree that amgen has a lot to do with why a starter home is so much dough. I miss del taco!

·
Registered
482 Posts
BeerBike said:
I am not sayign that they are bad... I should have clarified, I am doing some research and am intersted in what cyclists think on the subject.
I think any sponsor is a good sponsor. Cycling needs more who are willing to invest in cycling.

Under ACrookedSky said:
It's rather surprising given the way EPO has corrupted the sport professional cycling.
EPO corrupted cycling like guns kill people. It is not the guns or the drugs fault it is the idiot behind the trigger or the syringe in this case.

·
Life In the big ring
239 Posts
Are they??

BeerBike said:

Tell me you thoughts.

Thanks.
We're talking about the same folks who just put together a great race and brought a full-blown tour to California like we haven't seen in I don't know how long?

Were 10's of thousands of people lining the roads watching the two-wheeled heroes go blazing by?

I say Thank You Amgen for making February an exciting month for California cycling...
Yeah, they're a "good" sponsor.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
We're talking about the same folks who just put together a great race and brought a full-blown tour to California like we haven't seen in I don't know how long?

Were 10's of thousands of people lining the roads watching the two-wheeled heroes go blazing by?

I say Thank You Amgen for making February an exciting month for California cycling...
Yeah, they're a "good" sponsor.
Ditto..........Blaming Amgen for the misuse of EPO is like blaming the makers of cold tablets for the Meth problem...

My hats off the Amgen for sponsoring the TOC

·
Registered
735 Posts
Amgen

The company I worked for several years ago got bought by Amgen- so now I work for Amgen. I can tell you that from my perspective (and I am talking about the Washington State site)- it is a great place to work. They give us coupons for a local bike shop- to encourage us to ride to work and we have showers and lockers at all the sites up here. How many companies do that for you?

It is the perfect company to sponser a bike race- because at least half the people I work with ride- so it seems natural to me. Since I am in the lab I rarely get to meet patients, but I got to meet one three weeks ago. A mother with a very sick three year old was told he had about a year to live. That was before they tried Enbrel- he is now six and doing well. The woman was crying as she told me the story. That sure put things in perspective for me- those are the people we make medicine for...................MTT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts