Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this happen?

I was out on a 2 hour solo ride early this morning and about halfway through, I realized that I had no memory of the previous 10 minutes. I was heading up a somewhat steep pitch (about half a mile at 7% average incline) and the next thing I know, I'm about 3 miles down the road with no memory of getting from there to here.

I have tried hard to remember anything from that interval and I just draw a blank. I have a clear memory of rounding the corner just before the hill and starting to climb. I have a clear memory of everything after the blank space. But it's just as though someone edited out the 10 minutes in between.

Looking back at my computer, I wasn't anywhere near redlining---I made the climb with my HR in the low 170s and was mostly riding in the low 160s for the rest of the missing interval. (My MSS is around 182 from a Friel-style TT test and my HR max is around 200. I pulled 195 sprinting up a 14% hill last week without seeing stars and with no ill effects). Oh yeah, FWIW I'm not taking any meds, legal or illegal, and have no known medical problems.

The missing interval was a bit slower than I normally take it, and a fair bit more cautious on a tricky descent with a sharp corner at the bottom (around 25 mph around the corner instead of my usual 32-35), but I wasn't just loafing either.

I didn't feel ill or disoriented. Just lost 10 minutes of my life. The rest of the day, I've felt fine. Strange.

Anyone else experience something like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
it used to happen to me ALL the time when running. I haven't done so much solo cycling (fairly new to the sport, on a team so I ride with teammates pretty much all the time). when I have gone solo cycling most of the time i have clear goals and am really focusing on the ride. The few times I haven't, i have had it happen to me. I just sort of zone out/get caught up in my thoughts. I find its good therapy, and so long as it isn't dangerous I don't see anything wrong with it, i guess you are just "in the zone".

edit - being a college student i find it also happens on fri and sat nights, though im sure that has ALOT more to do with certain beverages consumed than riding
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
I've had it happen a lot while running and a couple weeks ago it happened on my first century. It was hot and the wind was in my face and I wasn't having much fun around mile 80 so my mind just sorta went on vacation for a while....I actually enjoyed it.

-Rich
 
G

·
this is one of the reasons why i ride. to be able to go out and forget about averything and not have to worry about anything or anyone. I have never had a crash or even a close encounter because of it that i can remember.
 

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
rzims said:
I've had it happen a lot while running and a couple weeks ago it happened on my first century. It was hot and the wind was in my face and I wasn't having much fun around mile 80 so my mind just sorta went on vacation for a while....I actually enjoyed it.

-Rich
Just make sure you dont disconnect too much... your senses will keep working, so you'll keep pedaling, and you'll keep balanced, and you'll stay outta the way of cars, but it's possible to go on such a mental vacation that you answer ANY question someone asks you. without realizing it.
nothing quite like waking up the next day, going to the other side of the camper, making breakfast, nice and calm, riding bud walks in, sees you and bursts out laughing. then starts telling you stories about yourself. bad!

i suppose you could duct tape your mouth on centuries :)
-estone2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
It happens to me when I'm driving all the time. I'll drive home from a friends house thinking about something and I'll get home and realize I have not recollection of how I got home. I find this happens when my mind is in other places.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
No, although I did "relax my upper body" on a long climb much that I almost fell asleep -- did the thing where you almost nod off, realize what's happened, and get a massive "holy crap!" shot of adrenaline.

Ooops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
For me, that's a goal. I've never had it as long as ten minutes, but I have had that experience of riding along and suddenly becoming aware that I was unconsciously riding for a few minutes, with no memory of passing the normal landmarks on my ride. That's nirvana. Most of the time I'm working on keeping my spin smooth or making sure I don't sit in one place too long or that my hands are pinched on the hoods; just so many different distractions. When everything is comfortable and it just works, then you can get into that unconscious state of mind.

Wonder at at, but don't be worried about. Be grateful it happened to you. :)
 

·
Could be faster
Joined
·
282 Posts
i believe the condition is similar to automatism. it's pretty much when the body or mind goes into auto-pilot mode. samething happens when i'm driving to work - the next thing i know, i'm at the office. how they hell did i get there???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Happens to me alright

Whenever I start to get fit. Longer than ten minutes though - If I was to guess I'd say anything up to a half hour or more - you feel like its hard to believe you are acually there riding the bike? I donn't think I lose concentration safety wise though as nothing has ever happened - even on twisty winding roads with traffic.

I did have another peculiar trance-like experience once on a bike - but I have a feeling that I might be locked up if I repeated it....................
 

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
boon said:
i believe the condition is similar to automatism. it's pretty much when the body or mind goes into auto-pilot mode. samething happens when i'm driving to work - the next thing i know, i'm at the office. how they hell did i get there???
Boon is correct. It is a form of hypnosis that is triggered during routine. What he also pointed out is that a majority of commuters are affected by it to some degree and most quite seriously. Let's be careful out there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
It happens to me on occasion, but I really try to concentrate on the ride, just to be safe and so that I can remember the ride. On occasions when I have trouble falling asleep, usually because I am worried about some trivial event that happened that day, I think about my last ride and shutout everything else. I start from the beginning and ride the whole thing in my mind trying to remember every turn in the road, dog that chased me and other bikers that passed me etc. Before I finish the ride I invariably fall asleep. Riding bicycles and the memories of rides has gotten me through tough times.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Fredke said:
Anyone have this happen?

I was out on a 2 hour solo ride early this morning and about halfway through, I realized that I had no memory of the previous 10 minutes. I was heading up a somewhat steep pitch (about half a mile at 7% average incline) and the next thing I know, I'm about 3 miles down the road with no memory of getting from there to here.

I have tried hard to remember anything from that interval and I just draw a blank. I have a clear memory of rounding the corner just before the hill and starting to climb. I have a clear memory of everything after the blank space. But it's just as though someone edited out the 10 minutes in between.

Looking back at my computer, I wasn't anywhere near redlining---I made the climb with my HR in the low 170s and was mostly riding in the low 160s for the rest of the missing interval. (My MSS is around 182 from a Friel-style TT test and my HR max is around 200. I pulled 195 sprinting up a 14% hill last week without seeing stars and with no ill effects). Oh yeah, FWIW I'm not taking any meds, legal or illegal, and have no known medical problems.

The missing interval was a bit slower than I normally take it, and a fair bit more cautious on a tricky descent with a sharp corner at the bottom (around 25 mph around the corner instead of my usual 32-35), but I wasn't just loafing either.

I didn't feel ill or disoriented. Just lost 10 minutes of my life. The rest of the day, I've felt fine. Strange.

Anyone else experience something like this?
maybe it was that giant spliff you smoked before that? Seriously though I've had long rides where I just zone out and barely can remember afterwards. It's not uncommon.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,520 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
maybe it was that giant spliff you smoked before that? Seriously though I've had long rides where I just zone out and barely can remember afterwards. It's not uncommon.
I do it more driving than riding, but have had it happen in both.

I've had it happen in fairly technical situations, so I don't think it's really a zone-out or hyponsis sort of situation. It seems to me more likely to be a human 404 - file not found. That particular memory stream simply didn't find a meaningful place to attach to your internal file system. It's not something to worry about until you fail to recognize what you fail to remember.

If you see a body on the side of the road on the way home, worry. Otherwise, welcome to getting older. It stinks, but it beats the alternative.
 

·
Old, slow, and fat.
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
deerfeedrb said:
It happens to me when I'm driving all the time. I'll drive home from a friends house thinking about something and I'll get home and realize I have not recollection of how I got home. I find this happens when my mind is in other places.
Being a motorcyclist too, this post skeers the bejeezus out of me!

Lets hope you never find out too late that there's a motorcycle in the vicinity!

M
 

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
Joined
·
1,842 Posts
Are you sure you weren't abducted by aliens for those ten minutes? How does your bum feel?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just picture Cartman (South Park). . . well, no need to get graphic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,129 Posts
On the bike, behind the wheel, doing any sort of repetitive task...I can space out and let my mind go off gawd-knows-where, and still (subconciously) handle whatever I'm supposed to be doing. The most extreme case was the time I made the mistake of riding north on Highway 1, out of San Luis Obispo, on a loaded touring bike, into a constant 15 mph headwind. Only way to get through it was to get in the drops, get a groove going and gut it out. Once I found that groove (right gear, right cadence, right breathing), the riding didn't need the total focus I'd been applying and my mind just completely went out into the ozone. I rode 8 miles past the campground where I was supposed to spend the night before I came back to earth....
 

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
danl1 said:
I've had it happen in fairly technical situations, so I don't think it's really a zone-out or hyponsis sort of situation. It seems to me more likely to be a human 404 - file not found. That particular memory stream simply didn't find a meaningful place to attach to your internal file system.
This makes sense to me. I know zoning out and this was different. It's just a gap in the middle of things and the next thing I know, I'm asking myself, "how did I get this far down the road." When I'm zoned out, I have some awareness of my mind having been elsewhere, but this is just a gap with sharp edges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Didn't like it, once I realized it happened

It happened to me once during a commute ride. I did not at all like that I was in that "zone." I have no reason to think or know that I was safe, or anything, other than that I was fine afterwards. I have no memory of that ride. I like being in the moment, and all, but not that much.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top