Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Maastricht - Valkenburg

This year's 48th edition of The Amstel Gold Race will cover a distance 251 km during about six hours in the saddle. The fireld will contain former Amstel Gold Race winners like defending champion Enrico Gasparotto (Astana), two-time Amstel Gold Race winner Phillippe Gilbert (BMC) and 2008 winner Damiano Cunego (Lampre-Merida).

In addition to those mentioned, a number of high profile riders are also going to line-up and hope to drink deeply of a golden victory on April 14th - they include:

Fuglsang and Iglinsky (Astana), Boom and Slagter (Blanco), P. Sagan and Moser (Cannondale), Evans and Van Avermaet (BMC), Rodriguez (Katusha), Valverde and Quintana (Movistar), Terpstra (Omega Pharma - Quick Step), Gerrans (Orica-GreenEdge), Uran and Henao (Sky), Hejsedal and Martin (Garmin-Sharp), A. Schleck (RadioShack Leopard Trek), Kreuziger and Roche (Saxo-Tinkoff) and Flecha (vacansoleil-DCM).

Fabian Cancellara (RadioShack Leopard Trek) will apparently sit this one out leaving Peter Sagan as a top contender for this victory. Can Rodriquez, Gerrans or perhaps Quintana deny the Slovakian Pincher of his top spot on the podium?

Start List:

Startlist Amstel Gold Race 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

Course Map:

Argos Lead With Dumoulin And Geschke For Amstel | Cyclingnews.com

Sagan Still Flying High Ahead Of Amstel Gold Race | Cyclingnews.com

Van Avermaet Hopes Form Holds Through To Amstel Gold Race | Cyclingnews.com

Gasparotto Ready To Repeat His Amstel Gold Race Success | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I will be watching Gilbert, Sagan, Moser, Dan Martin, Fuglsang, Van Avermaet, Terpstra and Voekler. I will be pulling for the World Champ.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
This course really doesn't suit Dan Martin. I would like to see Gilbert do something here. The Sagan/Moser duo could do some damage here though for sure. I would also put something in Chavenel too. He has been so close all year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will be watching Gilbert, Sagan, Moser, Dan Martin, Fuglsang, Van Avermaet, Terpstra and Voekler. I will be pulling for the World Champ.
Fuglsang? Not saying he doesn't have the ability but when has he shown serious contention for the win? Doesn't have that explosiveness on the climbs, but I guess he is a good bet to get in a late breakaway before the Cauberg. I'd like for him to do well, wonder how Gilbert will be, hasn't really shown any good form this year. Lots of contenders.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
We'll see if Gilbert has returned to form
The route calls for climbing the Cauberg twice.

So if Gilbert is up to it, maybe he'll do a 'rainbow jersey' repeat win :D !

BTW; Is Amstel beer any good?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
The route calls for climbing the Cauberg twice.

So if Gilbert is up to it, maybe he'll do a 'rainbow jersey' repeat win :D !

BTW; Is Amstel beer any good?
Gilbert has won the Amstel before so I don't think the Cauberg will stop him

Amstel is dutch beer, you know what kind of beer the dutch drink? Belgian

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Gilbert has won the Amstel before so I don't think the Cauberg will stop him

Amstel is dutch beer, you know what kind of beer the dutch drink? Belgian
Who said anything about stopping him :confused: ?

I was referring to him winning his rainbow jersey last year when he did it by climbing Cauberg five times. Sprinting away on the last climb for a solo finish.

LOL, on the Amstel beer answer :lol: !

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Fuglsang? Not saying he doesn't have the ability but when has he shown serious contention for the win? Doesn't have that explosiveness on the climbs, but I guess he is a good bet to get in a late breakaway before the Cauberg. I'd like for him to do well, wonder how Gilbert will be, hasn't really shown any good form this year. Lots of contenders.
Jakob Fuglsang is a pretty promising young talent that was actually in great shape and on fire for parts of last season but his former team's management punished him for announcing that he was looking to move to another team and for publically complaining about their financial situation by sitting him on the bench and not letting him ride. He will be Astana's protected rider for the TdF and Nibali will be the team's GC rider for the Giro. He can climb with the best of them when he's at his best.

Here's a little bit about him:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-i-have-the-right-to-be-disappointed

Fuglsang Will Lead Astana At Tour De France | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I guess ending number 4 in the race previously is not good enough to be considered?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jakob Fuglsang is a pretty promising young talent that was actually in great shape and on fire for parts of last season but his former team's management punished him for announcing that he was looking to move to another team and for publically complaining about their financial situation by sitting him on the bench and not letting him ride. He will be Astana's protected rider for the TdF and Nibali will be the team's GC rider for the Giro. He can climb with the best of them when he's at his best.

Here's a little bit about him:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fuglsang-i-have-the-right-to-be-disappointed

Fuglsang Will Lead Astana At Tour De France | Cyclingnews.com
Ya I know his palmares pretty well, really bad how Bruyneel treated him at RadioShack Leopard last year.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Didn't they move the finish line even further from the top of the Cauberg this year? I think Sagan is the heavy favorite and is my pick. Even if Gilbert can open a small gap on the climb Sagan will have time to run him down and has a faster sprint.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Ya I know his palmares pretty well, really bad how Bruyneel treated him at RadioShack Leopard last year.
Jakob was unwise to announce his intentions. I don't believe his being benched was personal anyway. The way the UCI points rules work if you know a top rider is leaving you can't afford to have them earn a bunch of points that they will take to another team and possibly bump your car a spot further back in the caravan. Other DS' did the same thing with other riders.

As for Amstel, if Sagan is on the same form he had, he is the heavy favorite on this course. Purito could give him a run for his money, Gilbert has shown no indication that he'll be competitive with them.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Jakob was unwise to announce his intentions. I don't believe his being benched was personal anyway. The way the UCI points rules work if you know a top rider is leaving you can't afford to have them earn a bunch of points that they will take to another team and possibly bump your car a spot further back in the caravan. Other DS' did the same thing with other riders.

As for Amstel, if Sagan is on the same form he had, he is the heavy favorite on this course. Purito could give him a run for his money, Gilbert has shown no indication that he'll be competitive with them.
I could agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed like Jakob and Buryneel pretty much disliked eachother from the moment the two teams merged (I recall Johan calling fat at one of their first camps). It only got worse once the team couldn't pay its riders on time and Jakob discussed that reality with the press. That happens to coincide with his not being allowed to ride any major races...

·
Registered
7,219 Posts

Jakob on the experience:

Fuglsang Slams Bruyneel's Management Style | Cyclingnews.com

His law suit agains Leopard:

Report: Fuglsang Sues Leopard SA For Non-payment | Cyclingnews.com

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.