Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody should have an ERFO.

Don’t get me wrong, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Miss M’s old Waterford RS14 fixte, nothing wrong at all.

I gave it to her on Christmas of ’03 to replace a completely worn out Fuji fixte. She has been riding the heck out of it ever since and it was her favorite ride by far. Even with all that riding a quality fixte doesn’t require a lot of service or repair. A few chains, a new rear rim, some tires, tubes and brake pads were all I ever replaced in 10s of thousands of miles.

Still I have always thought that Miss M deserves the very best. Lately though I was noticing that her ride wasn’t the nicest one around (heck my fixte was more styling than hers). One thing is for sure no one I know rides more than she does year in a year out so it is really easy to justify her riding top end stuff on a cost per mile basis. Since I was leaving the bike shop and this was going to be my last chance to get a bike at cost it was time to pull the trigger and get an upgrade.

I gave the guys at Waterford a call and got the frame going-it was easy for them to get started since they had already built her 2 frames. I talked to Dave at Waterford about the paint style and colors I had in mind and he took it from there (with a note to the shop to “Make it pretty”).

Floyd at the bike shop and Commuter Guy at work helped me agonize over the parts. We were trying to select the very best of the best. They really enjoyed helping since they weren’t going to have to pay for anything.

We selected some Campy here, some Paul there, Brooks and Thompson of course, Salsa, Mavic and Michelin with just a touch of Shimano to show we aren’t complete snobs. Then it was time to start placing orders.

Parts started to show up last month and the frame arrived last Friday. I took a few parts and the wheels off her old fixte (her new wheel parts aren’t in yet) and built it up in 2 rainy evenings.

As soon as it dries up around here I’ll have some riding pix and her impressions of the thing for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very Nicely Done! both bike and pictures.

Could you identify the handlebars, please?

Keep up the fine work, bikes, pic, and forum.

PS, have you checked your private messages lately :)

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
you need to be on ...

Waterford's payroll. These pic's and many of your others are bound to generate some orders.

The pic's are far superior to any of the shots on their site as well. Very nice.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
You are driving me crazy showing me these Waterfords. I swear I had a dream last night of a deep blue Waterford with stainless lugs and cream colored accents. All silver wheels and components and it was a fixed gear.

Nice bike for MissM

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Miss M rides, shoots and scores.

Tonight after we got home Miss M took the thing for a shake down cruise around the neighborhood.

She spotted a little nick in the paint :)eek: ) and the seat was a bit low. A quick adjustment and she pronounced it good enough for USPS except she says, "It looks like a Bianchi." :cryin: :mad2: :rolleyes: :cool:

Nothing like being married for a while to really know how to deflate :yikes: your husbands balloon.:yikes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.