Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after years of procrastination, I finally acquired, um...er...a <cough> smartphone.

I had been blissfully content with a blackberry-clone dumbphone for several years...I could call, text, and check email. web surfing was fairly futile, but it didn't bother me at all...I cruise the internet on a PC.

then my pay-as-u-go carrier upgraded their network and my phone became useless. they sent me a new one was 3G compatible, but it was a serious POS. so many annoyances and no email function...plus, it was burning thru minutes at twice the previous rate. a lose-lose sitch...

after complaining about it to a friend, he offered me to give me his wife's retired iPhone...

he swore it was unlocked, but that proved to be false...took 2 days to get it to accept the SIM card from my new provider, but today everything got activated.

forgive me, for I really didn't know what I was getting into...have been exploring features for a couple of hours and have had several omfg moments...didn't realize how primitive my previous phones truly were.

I have entered the world of zombie phone users...I feel both enlightened and dirty.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I feel like the fate of the world will be resting on my shoulders soon... I have to be one of the last of the hold-outs. I'm holding out full old school though. I've never owned a cell phone of any type, not just the "smart" ones.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Indeed, an impending sign Oxtox.....Just last week my TRAC Flip Phone died. Purchased a TRAC "touch-screen" phone and hate it. Good luck with the iPhone....

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Still got my Flip. The LG Chocolate was amazing- photo, video, all I need. Had to replace it and they no longer offer video, and there's no way to get photos off the phone (have to text them to John, and he emails them to me :rolleyes: )

I just can't stomach the thought of paying for a data plan- I have a computer at home and one here at work, John's got a smart phone, so I don't really need one. I read an actual solid-state book on the train.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I'll join you in the bunker.
Make room for a third. I don't have a one either and am pretty confident I never will.

It's funny how many of my friends marvel at my ability to be organized without one. I'm always on time, never miss an appointment, organized ect. They don't get the irony that the reason I'm able to be like that and they aren't is because I don't spent my life distracted by a phone and use the time to actually do things.

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you can get good coverage on the T-Mobile network, check out a provider called US Mobile.

pay-as-u-go with totally customizable talk / text / data plans.

seriously cheap, too...is only a couple dollars a month more than the old Net10 deal.

have also used their customer service and found it fast and efficient.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Problem is we're all "bundled." I keep suggesting that we should cut cable, go with some online whatever, but our cable/internet/phones are a package deal.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
after years of procrastination, I finally acquired, um...er...a <cough> smartphone.
Installed Strava yet? :D

A smartphone can be ridiculously useful. I often scan bar codes with mine both at work and while shopping. Yes, I can key them, just not instantaneously at 100% accuracy.

And, of course, I sometimes read RBR on it.

·
Cooper1960
526 Posts
I bit the bullet at the beginning of the summer, got a Samsung 6. One of the reasons I put it off for so long is because of bicycling, I use to see guys with their smart phones in their jersey pocket and it looked like they had a sheet of plywood stuffed in there, so dang big. I was smug and happy with my tiny flip phone. But one day I sent it threw the wash and figured OK, it's time to join the modern world.

I sure get a lot of use out of my smart phone. Who knew?

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
If someone would have told you when you were a kid, that there will be this thing about the size of a deck of cards that will be

phone
computer
camera
video recorder
clock
alarm
stopwatch
calendar
stereo
map
filing cabinet
picture album
etc.

you would have laughed in their face.

·
Proud luddite
7,223 Posts
Yeah I grudgingly left my trusty flip phone 4 months ago for an iPhone. It's nice but not something that I really need and I don't really take advantage of many of its features. But my wife wanted a new phone and our monthly bill with T-Mobile is only $10 more per month so we made the switch. Of course the cost of the new phones was pretty high and something tells me the iPhone isn't going to last 8 years like my Motorola Razr did.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
One drawback to the flip: During a heated text conversation, the iPhone user will hit me with a barrage of texts. If I get a text while typing a text, my message goes into "drafts."

I have to quickly text "LET ME TYPE!!" and then I immediately get another text saying "Get a REAL phone!!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I can't imagine not having a wireless hand held computer all the time. Heck, I have to carry 2, one is mine and one is work. Both iPhones. I'm on an iPad now. I was a late adopter, I waited like 5 years or more, like 10 years ago, but once I jumped in I was all in. 8th wonder of the world. Everything you might ever want to know is at your fingertips. And, even better, they are changing the world. Even the worlds poorest billion have smart phones. Cell phones, definately, smart phons, most likely. Organizing for causes and functioning during crisis is doable in ways never thought possible before. Facebook never goes down. Never. In the big Chile earthquake it was the one means through which everyone was able to communicate. Revolutions have been made with them. Jump in and enjoy. A million reasons to resist, a million reasons to be assimilated.

·
&#12377;&#12375; + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
...and something tells me the iPhone isn't going to last 8 years like my Motorola Razr did.
I carry two phones at all times. A Razr and an Android phone. Razr because the business can't text me, faceplant me, photo-bomb me, and demand the reply back. As far as I know, I can be more than 2004 techo-savy.:D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts