Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Lightweight Ventoux, Zabel knows his gear.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rogger said:
Lightweight Ventoux, Zabel knows his gear.

...and deep section Lightweight in the back. I'm just interested in seeing which guys are still getting a contract that allows them to use these wheels instead of the standard sponsor issued models.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Apart from Zabel? There's Ullrich of course, but very few others can get away with it.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rogger said:
Apart from Zabel? There's Ullrich of course, but very few others can get away with it.
Yeah Leipheimer comes to mind as someone who did too but I know the sponsors have been putting on extra pressure to prohibit their use by their riders.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Apart from Leipheimer, there's quite a surprising number of pros riding Walser TT-frames, pay close attention and you'll see loads of them with different labels. Like this one:

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Armstrong rode Lightweights as well, until Bontrager/Trek cracked down.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Well, until Bontrager supplied a viable alternative anyways. If the sponsor doesn't have the gear, you get the right gear and re-badge it.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Spunout said:
Well, until Bontrager supplied a viable alternative anyways. If the sponsor doesn't have the gear, you get the right gear and re-badge it.
Doesn't hold up with shoes, if they really don't fit you'd better change team.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rogger said:
Apart from Leipheimer, there's quite a surprising number of pros riding Walser TT-frames, pay close attention and you'll see loads of them with different labels. Like this one:

Yeah Ulrich used a Walser back in the Coast/Bianchi days. There are photos on www.cyclingnews.com of Leipheimer's Walser with Lightweights from when they still allowed him to use them. Re-labeled/re-badged frames and such have been around forever but it's becoming less and less prevalent particularly in the last few years. I read an article somewhere last year that said the sponsors are becoming less flexible about guys using other gear such as the Lightweights. Even Armstrong stopped using Lightweights a few years ago. I guess I was extra interested in this picture of Zabel because he's on a new team with a new contract that's allowing him to use wheels other than Shimano's.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
rocco said:
Yeah Ulrich used a Walser back in the Coast/Bianchi days. There are photos on www.cyclingnews.com of Leipheimer's Walser with Lightweights from when they still allowed him to use them. Re-labeled/re-badged frames and such have been around forever but it's becoming less and less prevalent particularly in the last few years. I read an article somewhere last year that said the sponsors are becoming less flexible about guys using other gear such as the Lightweights. Even Armstrong stopped using Lightweights a few years ago. I guess I was extra interested in this picture of Zabel because he's on a new team with a new contract that's allowing him to use wheels other than Shimano's.
Milram is a new team with a few old hands at the helm, a good recipe for a bit of slack. :)

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rogger said:
Milram is a new team with a few old hands at the helm, a good recipe for a bit of slack. :)
Yeah... exactly. No Pettacchi riding on Obermayer, Ventoux, standard LW or whatever. I don't see any of the new generation being allowed to or choosing to use these wheels. Leipheimer is the youngest of the pack that I know of who has used these wheels and he ain't no spring chicken anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts