Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are several pictures of my tour of Seattle on my cousin's Bianchi. I was just in the Seattle for two weeks from Taiwan and this is from my first day ride. Finally, a non-Taiwan related report.

I started in Beacon Hill and took the Jose Rizal bridge to Capitol Hill and crested Broadway, which is Seattle's own little Castro... or at least it was until the junkies took over in the late 90's. The area is changing drastically with new apartments and other gentrification that heals the bad, but kills the soul. I stopped for a minute at the Jimi Hendrix statue on Pine and Broadway. I remember seeing the Hendrix family dedicating the statue many years ago. I always remember seeing Jimi's cousin walking around the Renton Highlands, just unable to let the image die.

I continued on until Aloha St. and then climbed the hill up to Volunteer Park, which used to be a prime cruising spot. When I was a kid I guess we wandered into some bushes that were in use and surprised a couple of dudes in the act.

Volunteer Park houses the Asian Art Museum where I would ride the camels. Decades of child ************* had worn the originals, which now sit in the Seattle Art Museum.

After passing through Volunteer Park, I detoured into the Lake View Cemetery where Bruce and Brandon Lee are buried.

I took off down the hill to the Harvard Exit and passed through the University District and paid my respects to the University of Washington. I spent many a day enjoying all the sights on campus.

The weather was beautiful and Mt. Rainier was clearly visible from the Rose Garden.

I left campus and headed up University Way to Ravenna Park on 55th St. The cool shade of the tall trees was a welcome relief from the direct sunlight. I then took off down the hill to the University Village and headed up 25th St. to 65 and then took it all the way to Greenlake Ave. These places are all very special to me and I enjoyed the feeling of passing through them again. Greenlake is a small, urban lake that is used by walkers, joggers and cyclists for recreation.

I was quite famished after a morning of meandering, and so I headed for the closest place I could think of where I could eat and watch the bike. I knew I had to go eat Dick's.

Dick's was established in 1954, and my father was there for the opening. They have the best burgers in town and even better fries. The shakes are the only thing to wash it all down.

With a mouthful of Dick's, I took off again and headed for the former Hippie hideout of Fremont. During the 1960's, Fremont was a district full of radicals and rabble. It is now full of Techies as Adobe makes its HQ there.

One feature of Fremont is the famous troll under the Fremont bridge. I remember discovering the troll when it was first built. I was a preteen and I remembered the site as a place to take future dates. Lot's of neckin' at the troll.

The Fremont signpost proudly points toward Taiwan, so I always remember where home is no matter how long I stay.

I then took the Burke Gilman Bike Trail out to Ballard and visited my friend's tea shop. Miro Tea is in Old Ballard and they serve a huge selection of some of Taiwan's best teas. After a refreshing iced Baozhong Tea from Pinglin, I went to the Hiram Chittenden Locks, a series of locks to make boat traffic possible between the fresh water lakes and Puget Sound.

A fish ladder allows the visitor to watch the salmon swim up to Lake Washington from Puget Sound.

The Locks let me pass the ship canal to Magnolia, where I headed back on Admiral Way and then over to the low side of Queen Anne Hill. I first had to pass through the Seattle Center on Dexter and 5th.

Seattle Center was one the site of the 1962 World's Fair, where "it" happened. Many of the old "Space Age" attractions still sit. Unfortunately, the Flight to Mars is long gone.

I then climbed a killer hill on Queen Anne Blvd. to the top where the view is absolutely stunning.

After a tip toeing my way back down I stopped at Top Pot Doughnuts on 5th and Lenora for a maple bar.

Finally, I headed through town to the Pike Place Market, one of the oldest continually run farmer's markets in the US.

My escape route was through Post Alley, and the wall of bubblegum.

The Hammering Man was right where I left him in front of the Seattle Art Museum. I still like him better with the massive ball and chain the guerilla artist Subculture Joe a.k.a Jason Sprinkle, attached to his leg on Labor Day.

I finished up in Pioneer Square and Smith Tower, once the tallest building west of the Mississippi. I then returned through the International District.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
There's much of Seattle I have not seen. Nicely done report - Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You look like you'v never eaten a doughnut in your life :D

Great photo's and some interesing places,
What was that Troll thing under the bridge made out of ?

KK..

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Geeze, I thought you would be trying to find a way to climb every mountain you could :).

Great report. I like that pic of the fountain with Mt. Rainier in the background.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The troll is concrete with a VW Bug underneath.

The way I ate and drank through Seattle, the jersey got a little bit tight. The last thing I need is a doughnut.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
Fantastic pictures! Having been to all of the places pictured here I can appreciate the distance and amount of climbing you did, especially up to Kerry Park on Queen Anne.

The photo looking downhill along the cobbles on Post Alley (the pic before the pic of the gum wall) reminds me of the Commute Challenge Captain's Bash, held during Bike to Work Month every May. The event is held at the Pike Brewery, and bike parking is in the brewery's loading dock off Post Alley. This year, after consuming several beers I had to ride down the hill on the cobbles to get to my regular route home. I can't imagine a more treacherous route for a buzzed biker and I don't know how I managed to do it without significant injury.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that Queen Anne climb was rough, but not as bad as the descent. I was so scared I would lose something and roll out into Denny Way.

Speaking of beers... I attended the Tour de Fat on this trip and started blooming in the beer garden. I then followed that up with a farewell party at the Buckaroo Tavern in Fremont... followed by beer and fish & chips at the Pacific Inn.

Being my last night out I wasn't shy in pouring myself from the endless supply of pitchers some old friends heaved in my general direction.

Then came the ride from Fremont to Beacon Hill over Capitol Hill. One pedal in front of the other. Oh man that was rough.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
is it me, or is it kinda tacky to lean a bike against a headstone to take a photo?

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eh! It is customary for admirers to come and pay respect and leave things or place items on the graves for prayer or reflection. I once met a former student of Bruce Lee up there and he seemed to enjoy seeing how people interacted with the site. After all, the Lees are dead and probably don't care either way. I think it is great that the living do not feel a need to avoid contact out of "reverence" and still wish to reach out to the idea of the Lees at that location.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
great report. good prose, with lots of lil jokes here and there.

makes me wanna get a ticket tonight. then again, im always game for a trip to seattle.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Nice shots; makes me a little homesick. That was a whole bunch of stopping to take pictures, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts