Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding last summer, on an old hybrid. All was well. I lost 20 pounds. My resting heartrate dropped from 72 to 55. I felt great. Well, except that these dudes in lycra kept passing me on hills.

So, in January, I treated myself to a new road bike. (ST Bikes in San Jose; I recommend them highly.) All was well. My speed, at the same effort, increased by ten or fifteen percent. Fewer dudes in lycra passed me. I even visited the Pearl Izumi factory outlet and outfitted MYSELF with lycra.

Then, maybe six weeks ago, I hit a plateau. I felt pretty good; felt like I was riding well, but my performance wasn't increasing. Times for a lot of rides I've done dozens of times started creeping up. This bummed me. I was working harder and harder and not improving.

The breathtakingly stupid thing is that this went on for six weeks or so---me trying harder and harder with poorer and poorer results. Finally, last week, a minor squeak that had been bothering me for a while on steep hills started getting really loud. So I dropped my bike off at ST Bikes. The next day, the mechanic called and told me that he had replaced the entire rear wheel. Apparently the bearings had gotten very loose, and then some idiot had apparently continued to ride it for hundreds of miles, completely wrecking the bearings and hub. He couldn't figure out how anyone could ride it all with the incredible rolling resistance it exhibited. Not to mention you could jiggle it back and forth a good quarter inch, so it must have been rubbing the brake pads constantly.

The happy ending is that the sqeak is gone, and when I went out today I felt like I was on a motorcycle--passing dudes in lycra left and right. Apparently all that work was actually paying off. And since the bike is still under warrantee, the new wheel was free.

The only down side is that I feel like a total dunce.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
croswell1 said:
Next thing you need to do is get yourself one of those new jerseys I seen that says "You guys suck" on the back. :D
I wanna get one of those. but it'd have to say it on the front. And i'm scared of cars :p

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
That's funny... maybe that's my problem.

Welcome BTW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.