11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and how to pack...

April 22 - Amtrak from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo
April 22-23 - Canoodling with friends in SLO
April 24 - Hitching ride to Santa Cruz
April 24-26 - Canoodling with Loungers in SC
April 27 - Beginning my ride back to LA

The ride back to LA is cool... I get it... I know what to pack, I am going to plan on staying in my tent on the coast. And again with friends in SLO.

What is throwing me a little bit are the first 5 days, which will involve only a little riding, maybe one "epic" type ride with friends, but nothing like the tour back.

My question is how should I pack for these first few days? I intend to pack as light as possible, obviously, but will need a pair of jeans (likely), and some heavier type stuff.

I am thinking too hard, arent I? Just pack, and go... dont sweat the weight. Have a beer and enjoy?

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other thing... I am obviously not going to take a new pair of shorts for each day of riding, so how does one go about washing them at the end of each day? Just by any water spigot? Soap to eliminate bag balm? Strange question, I know... Thanks!

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
2 pr shorts (one line drying in sun to kill bacteria after rinsing thoroughly, one wearing)
Lightweight long pants that pack small. Can wear kneewarmers underneath if it gets cold.
Wool base layer, lightweight fleece and a shell is good to 40 or so.
Wool socks
Skull cap/hat.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Until April 27 pack as much as you want, heavy jeans and all. Pay a visit to a USPS location in Santa Cruz and mail all the heavy crap home.

You'll need at least 2 pairs of shorts as the ones you wash the night before will not be dry in the morning. Take some packets of Woolite, which can be found at airport travel stores.

Post pix.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KWL said:
Until April 27 pack as much as you want, heavy jeans and all. Pay a visit to a USPS location in Santa Cruz and mail all the heavy crap home.

You'll need at least 2 pairs of shorts as the ones you wash the night before will not be dry in the morning. Take some packets of Woolite, which can be found at airport travel stores.

Post pix.
Damn, thats a good idea! Would have been good to realize that before I thought I needed a set of Front Panniers as well.

Woolite... forgot about that stuff. Ill have to pick some up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts