Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year the grand tours bring me back to this site so I thought I would share my enjoyable ride last Sunday.
It was a beautiful Sunday ride except having to get up so early to catch the ferry over to Maui. Arriving in Kahului I began pedaling about 10AM. Being out of shape and wanting to pay for my slothful ways winter I figured a ride up, on or around Haleakala would provide adequate punishment.
Here I start looking into a stiff breeze with hill ahead.

Having watched the Discovery channel over the lazy winter, I learned the fine art of photographing myself in action.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood…I kept the first for another day. And continued on towards Rice park for lunch.

What a nice place for lunch.

And from there I decided to see how far the ranch is. This is an enjoyable section of road.

Hmmm powerade or vino?

Past a nice little park…

And down the road heading back for the evening ferry ride home. I got down with enough time for dinner and made the boat back to Oh-wah-who with time to spare.

Thanks for the ride…

Aloha,
wil

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
I love the self-portrait of you in action. LOL

I'm going to Hawaii in December. Big Island. Planning on bringing my bike but want to bring my fixie. Good idea or bad?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Second that

Dream Plus said:
I'd say gears. Either the wind or the mountain will make a fixie diificult. Then again, I'm not very tough.
The whole island is the top of a giant lava mountain, and it sits in the middle of the ocean, at the latitude where the trade winds blow. Not SS/FG territory at all, IMO.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Great stuff. I've driven, but never ridden that road a few times. When we go back we're definitely bringing our bikes!

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Hawaiisuperferry twice dailey I believe. It's not cheap. About 140.00 per couple if you bring a bike.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Hawaiisuperferry twice dailey I believe. It's not cheap. About 140.00 per couple if you bring a bike.

yeah, but ferry service didn't exist not long ago. if that's round trip that ain't too bad. and beats flying and renting a car (although there is a place that rents for $25/day). there was talk of much faster hydrofoil ferry service, not sure what happened to that

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last fall they were running and I paid $5 for me and my mtn bike then I biked up the road and down the skyline trail under the full moon, good fun. Then a judge shut them down so they had to fly me home. The ferry service said they were sorry and gave me 5 free roundtrips. So this trip did not cost anything as they did not charge for the bike. I have four more Maui bike trips to take and I think the next one will go all night and around to Hana, Kaupo and back. Maui is a great place for riding. I just need to shed some weight.

No pineapple wine for me, on the boat ride home they had a Hardy's merlot that was ok.

Aloha,
wil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.