Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a new car recently and I find myself oddly fixated on its "newness". I don't particularly want to drive it or have anyone else drive it. Yesterday, a rock cracked the windshield and since then I think I've actually been depressed. It's ridiculous, I know, but true nonetheless.

While it's a nice car, it wasn't my "dream" car. In fact, I was relatively reluctant to get it, but it met the requirements of what I needed. So, my reaction to it has caught me off guard.

Anyone else have what they would describe as an unnatural attachment to a thing... besides our bikes, of course? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Before I read your last sentence, I was going to suggest this is completely natural for a bike.

I sort of have the opposite feeling about our cars.

The solution of course is strict adherence to Rule 25.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have a tradition with new road bikes that they get ridden off road/in the dirt on the first ride.

My cars are always clean and well maintained but I don't obsess over them. And I've never purchased new because there is too much cool used stuff you can get for the price of a new appliance-type vehicle.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't know if it can be described as "unnatural", since it's so common. I have tried consciously to banish that way of thinking from my life. I can't say I've been wholly successful, but it's been a long time since I felt anything like depression or mourning or anger over damage or loss or destruction of a material possession. My bikes are good enough, and I take good care of them so they work, but they're not anybody's idea of a "dream bike." I keep stuff for years if it keeps working; I don't covet the latest thing.

Cars -- cars have to be reliable and safe and comfortable. I take care of them so they will meet those requirements. I do not love them.

So, I guess my answer would be, "no, not for a long time."

There's people, and there's stuff. Stuff is stuff.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have pampered cars in the past, but any more, they are just a tool to get the job done. Basic maintenance and the occasional car wash is about all I do with it.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
When we bought the house, the interior had been refurbished- floors buffed, new paint, new fixtures, new (but cheap) appliances.

I can't bring myself to replace any of this until necessary, as much as I hate the beige-ish walls. The refrigerator is basic, but it keeps stuff cold. Stove is entry-level, but it heats stuff up. Even the curtains came with the place, and are functional, though a couple of women have commented on their ugliness.......wtf do I know about curtains?? :confused:

Been collecting paint sample cards for the past couple of years, and am hoping to change things up soon, though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Though it's a bummer when a shiny new toy (of whatever kind) gets a ding, the good news is that after enough dings, the new toy will be an old toy, and that means it's time for a new new toy*!

*I suspect that the "get a new one when the old one has taken too many dings" rule may apply to wives, too. :D

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I get routinely harassed about how poorly I treat my bikes and cars by the waxers and polishers in the club. Take care of the drivetrain and wipe off the mud with a rag.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I put far too many miles on my bikes to worry about keeping them spotless and pristine. I'd much rather ride my bike than clean it or work on it. When maintenance eats too much into your riding time you've got a problem, unless of course you enjoy that.

The only thing I'm truely fussy about are my glasses.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I get routinely harassed about how poorly I treat my bikes and cars by the waxers and polishers in the club. Take care of the drivetrain and wipe off the mud with a rag.
I'm not gung ho about cleaning my car or my bikes. I do basic washes, but if I can offer one thing, a clay bar is a very affordable method of making the paint look and feel like new.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I'm not so obsessed about the cleanliness, although I do keep all my bikes clean and in near perfect working order. Cars, not as much. I am however, somewhat of a sentimental guy and become attached to inanimate objects. I hardly ever play my Gibson SG that I bought in high school but I can't bear to part with it and recently took it to the shop to get it cleaned up and in better working order. I recently broke an empty 25+ year old vodka bottle from a college trip to the Sovet Union and that got me a little down.

I'd like to pare down my bike collection some but I can't think of any one that I want to part with. Meanwhile I have two frames waiting to get built up into complete bikes.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Just about every time I've bought a new car or bike, or some other major purchase like a new TV or computer, it was an upgrade from the previous one, and I thought to myself that I would take good care of it and keep it for as long as possible. But of course, over time, despite my best efforts, stuff happens, and the item becomes worn, tired, unreliable and outdated. So I treat myself to the next n+1 upgrade and start the cycle all over.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I've gotten pretty lazy with stuff lately. I used to be all into my lawn/yard, but have slacked in recent years, mostly due to injuries. Cars have always been whatever to me. I have a friend with a heavily moded M5. That's his thing and I'm happy for him. I asked him about his car, and he told me, "When I'm in my car, it's like my wife when she goes to the spa." Rock on.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used to be that way with cars from high school until after college a few years. It needed to washed all the time and clean in the inside. It had to be fast and powerful. After getting married and more mature I really don't care much anymore. My truck is paid off, has 150,000 miles, and more dings and scratches then I would of been able to tolerate when I was younger.

My road bike I like to keep clean but not a freak. My gravel bike is 2 weeks old and dirty as hell.

I did get somewhat depressed when my old road bike was stolen this spring. Only because it was my first real bike, and the first bike I learned how to do work on. Then my wife reminded me of the important things in life.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
I recently got a new vehicle, I did pick it out because I liked it and wanted it. I'd rather make the first scratch or ding on it myself, so when I walked out of the gym one day and saw a chip right in the middle of the door and the old 2 door car next to it that did it I really wanted to knee a dent in their door in return. I try to park away from other vehicles, but of course when I walk out some idiot has to park a foot away from me and open their door into my car.

True story on a slight tangent. I saw a fellow cyclist along the road on my way home from work, so I stopped to see if he needed help as I usually have a pump and stuff in the back of my vehicle. Turns out he needed a ride as he broke a spoke and the wheel went way out of true and was not fixable with the tools we had (stoopid 24 spoke wheels). I told him I couldn't give him a ride because I was in a hurry and had to go, the truth was he smelled like an ammonia bottle and I did not want him sitting in my new car.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
What car did you get?

I used to wash and wax my Altima. Then we bought a house and got married, and time was better spent doing other things.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
I think I understand how you feel.

We are packing up to move after 20 plus years in the same house.

A month or two ago, I was brash and loudly proclaimed that if the place burned to the ground, and I got my people, dogs, and one of the good guitars on the way out, I'd be ok with it.

Now I am agonizing over every damned scrap of junk.

It it an unpleasant and strange business how all this junk gets hold of us. And don't get me started on the family guilt thing.

Oh, but this was your aunt's sister's cousins thing-a-ma-jig, and she worked 4 years in a salt mine to afford it, and your uncles all chipped in for this clapped-out half-assed falling apart chest of drawers for her to keep it in...

Poop.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Anyone else have what they would describe as an unnatural attachment to a thing... besides our bikes, of course? :)
I had an ex-girlfriend that had a very unnatural attachment to a certain motorized piece of plastic. She was almost clinically depressed after the motor burned-out, not getting out of bed for days at a time. But she wouldn't let me get out of the bed either I really didn't see it as a problem...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts