Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, the ventilation blower in my truck starting making "thump, thump, thump" sounds on the higher speeds. Ok, so I won't use those speeds. A few days later, it did it on all speeds. Hmm, that's not so good.

And, much worse, it started stinking worse than week old cycling socks.

Well, after several days of not using the fan, I finally get out my tools and start taking the thing apart.

View attachment 206897

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Wow, maybe he was an old one with dementia and figured it was one of these...

Wonder how many miles he got in before his demise.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Dude - you killed the motor.

But seriously - you're probably lucky you found it when you did. Friend of mine lost a brand new Suburban to Pack Rats. They built a nest, he went on a family outing, the nest caught fire and his car did too. Total loss.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
majura said:
Why do you hate Stuart Little?
I'm just trying to figure out how the h*ll he got in there.

·
9,790 Posts
sometimerider said:
I'm just trying to figure out how the h*ll he got in there.
That's easy. The air intake ductwork. There are many places on a car/truck where mice can get into either ventilation system or the engine air intake system.

A guy gave me a 1978 SAAB 99 because he couldn't get it to start. I cleaned the mouse nests out of the Bosch CIS airbox and started it up. I did this at his house...with him watching...before I drove it home. He was rather embarrassed. We worked together. As auto mechanics.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
terry b said:
Dude - you killed the motor.
hehehehehehehhehehehehehehehe

perfect!

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
PlatyPius said:
That's easy. The air intake ductwork. There are many places on a car/truck where mice can get into either ventilation system or the engine air intake system.

A guy gave me a 1978 SAAB 99 because he couldn't get it to start. I cleaned the mouse nests out of the Bosch CIS airbox and started it up. I did this at his house...with him watching...before I drove it home. He was rather embarrassed. We worked together. As auto mechanics.
heeheeeeeeeee

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
An interesting bit of thread drift, yet sort of related.
The other day we had notices so tell tale traces of mouse activity on the back of the kitchen counted so i stopped last night and bought a new set of 4 traps. (I hated to put my filthy old ones on the counter because ....uh....well anyhow)
I was catching a mouse ever 1/2 hour for 2 hours and ended up snapping EIGHT by morning!
OMG.....there didn't appear to be that much activity!!!!

Wonder how long before i run out of mice!?

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
More than a few years ago I was in a motorcycle shop getting parts for one of my cycles. Another guy was there with his sport bike talking to the mechanic about why it wouldn't run. He'd left it stored in his garage over the Wisconsin winter and his garage was somewhat heated. Mickey (or Stuart Little if you prefer) found his way into the airbox of the motorcycle. Many airfilters, cars included, are made of paper, which apparently makes a wonderful nesting material. There were no bodies or parts of mice in the carbs, but the shredded paper had to be removed from the carbs and valves. That didn't make him too happy. If I have a paper filter in my bike I take it out over the winter to remove temptation.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
My father had an f100 ford truck that he drove to work about 5 miles each way. He got to work one morning and heard a meow under the hood. He popped the hood and found one of our cats sitting on a ledge in the motor compartment. The cat sat there the whole way. My father was mad because he had to drive the cat home.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
bigrider said:
My father had an f100 ford truck that he drove to work about 5 miles each way. He got to work one morning and heard a meow under the hood. He popped the hood and found one of our cats sitting on a ledge in the motor compartment. The cat sat there the whole way. My father was mad because he had to drive the cat home.

I had a boss whose car wasn't running right. so she took it in to the dealer, the service tech comes out and asks "do you own a cat?" she tells him she didn't. He says "oh, then this will be easier to tell you...."

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
bigrider said:
When I was little, my dad went out one morning and started the car. The cat was under the hood and it's tail was cut off by the radiator fan. Lucky we didn't have sliced and diced cat.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
When I was in college I had both a F-150 and a motorcycle, since the motorcycle got 3-4x better mileage the truck sat for a long time. I needed the truck one day to haul a lawnmower for a friend. Cranked it up and turned on the A/C and had the MOST AWFUL rotting flesh stench. Shut down the A/C and blower to finishe up the lawnmower job. Parked the truck under the car port with the windows open. It sat the rest of the summer and all the way to winter when it got too cold and icy to ride the motorcycle. Fired up the truck again expecting the worst, turned on the blower only to have mouse fur and little bits of bone and whatever gets left behind from a rotting mouse carcass blown out the vents but no bad smell anymore. Drove the truck 3 more years before giving it to one of the factory assemblers that needed a cheap truck when he got his license back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Chain said:
When I was little, my dad went out one morning and started the car. The cat was under the hood and it's tail was cut off by the radiator fan. Lucky we didn't have sliced and diced cat.
We had a similar situation with our cat when I was little, but mine took a fan belt to the midsection. Her "run away to die" instinct kicked in, but thankfully my dad caught her and got her to the vet in time for her to be stitched up and recover. She lived another 10 years or so to the age of 21. I don't think she ever slept under the hood of a car again.

·
Proud luddite
7,191 Posts
fsdork said:
We had a similar situation with our cat when I was little, but mine took a fan belt to the midsection. Her "run away to die" instinct kicked in, but thankfully my dad caught her and got her to the vet in time for her to be stitched up and recover. She lived another 10 years or so to the age of 21. I don't think she ever slept under the hood of a car again.
We adopted a cat from the Human Society a couple years ago who had fallen asleep in a car and lost her rear leg when the owner started the car up. The Humane Society fixed her up (she had a few other lacerations, etc.) and put her up for adoption and we got her. She's doing great, runs and jumps to beat the band, only with 3 legs instead of 4.

·
All natural
367 Posts
After the past snowy winter, we fired up the honda pilot that had been sitting in the driveway for several weeks. A week later we were refilling the washer fluids, opened the hood and there was a massive pile of leaves - squirrels? Later we noticed mice droppings inside and nests made with a roll of paper towels in the back.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
A few years ago I was working for the local Honda dealer, and we had a customer stop in with their minivan. The customer was having problems with the HVAC system working erratically. So one of the other guys pulled down the glove box to access the back of the HVAC panel. He found a foot long rat inside the van. He asked the customer if they wanted him to remove it right away. The customer (Asian family) said "No, we will make it go away"

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
frdfandc said:
He found a foot long rat inside the van. He asked the customer if they wanted him to remove it right away. The customer (Asian family) said "No, we will make it go away"
Classic.

I can't say that I had any plans other than disposal for the resident rodent. (However, one of my Facebook buddies apparently did.)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I was catching a mouse ever 1/2 hour for 2 hours and ended up snapping EIGHT by morning!
OMG.....there didn't appear to be that much activity!!!!

Wonder how long before i run out of mice!?
You just created some vacancies. New tenants will be moving in shortly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts