Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had some pretty darned bad w/ the Litespeed dealers here. I've never met such rudeness and complacency at a bike shop. I am not going to give them my business. I decided that it's not worth my time or effort to drive 100+ miles to another dealer and I do have the mail-order option but I'm worried about getting a proper fit. My old bike was a bit too small because I have grown almost an inch since its purchase. I've been saving up cash and in addition to my insurance check for the old bike I've got around $5,000 or so that I can legitimately spend and not break the bank so to speak. In looking at some bike shops around here, I saw the Seven and Serotta lines. I was unfamiliar with these in the past but I was wondering how one of those might compare w/ the Tuscany. I got the impression from the dealer that Serotta stresses a proper fit rather than low frame weight. So here's my new debate. (I'm a bid indecisive if you didn't gather that from my previous thread). I'm going to try to race collegiately when I go off to school this fall. I can replace the Tuscany w/ another and make my best guess as to frame size by using a basic method (i.e. competitive cyclist's website) and get some nice components, wheelset, etc. Or, I could w/ with a Ti frame (or even steel) from someone like Serotta or maybe Seven. It seems to me that the Serotta will be a bit heavier (Legend Ti frame) than the Litespeed but I could be wrong about that. So would it be more advantageous to get a proper fitting frame than one that's "off the shelf" like a LS? I don't know what a pound or two off the frame really amounts to because I've only had 1 road bike. Anyways, anyone w/ comments, advice, opinions, etc......I would welcome your 2 cents. Thanks all.

Cheers

Rick

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Go get a custom fit frame. There is a Serotta dealer in Boulder that does it, if you are in or near Boulder. If not, you can go to the Serotta web site and find a dealer near you. I thought their frames were pricey - like $4300, but can't find any prices anywhere. Maybe they are $2700 and the whole bike was around $4300. I don't remember.

I ride with a guy that had one custom fit at a shop in Az. and he loves it.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
Remember, seldom does anyone race a bicycle without getting in a wreck. The bicycle usually gets some damage, sometimes it becomes junk. Skin grows back but a dead $$$$$$$$ bicycle is catastrophic to your wallet. Spend the big bux on a bike that you won't race, heck, it is easy enough to foul them up just riding along!

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,032 Posts
Rick Slick said:
Well, I've had some pretty darned bad w/ the Litespeed dealers here. I've never met such rudeness and complacency at a bike shop. I am not going to give them my business. I decided that it's not worth my time or effort to drive 100+ miles to another dealer and I do have the mail-order option but I'm worried about getting a proper fit. My old bike was a bit too small because I have grown almost an inch since its purchase. I've been saving up cash and in addition to my insurance check for the old bike I've got around $5,000 or so that I can legitimately spend and not break the bank so to speak. In looking at some bike shops around here, I saw the Seven and Serotta lines. I was unfamiliar with these in the past but I was wondering how one of those might compare w/ the Tuscany. I got the impression from the dealer that Serotta stresses a proper fit rather than low frame weight. So here's my new debate. (I'm a bid indecisive if you didn't gather that from my previous thread). I'm going to try to race collegiately when I go off to school this fall. I can replace the Tuscany w/ another and make my best guess as to frame size by using a basic method (i.e. competitive cyclist's website) and get some nice components, wheelset, etc. Or, I could w/ with a Ti frame (or even steel) from someone like Serotta or maybe Seven. It seems to me that the Serotta will be a bit heavier (Legend Ti frame) than the Litespeed but I could be wrong about that. So would it be more advantageous to get a proper fitting frame than one that's "off the shelf" like a LS? I don't know what a pound or two off the frame really amounts to because I've only had 1 road bike. Anyways, anyone w/ comments, advice, opinions, etc......I would welcome your 2 cents. Thanks all.

Cheers

Rick
Best guess frame size is a bad idea.
Stop,cool down and think about it.Look for some other lbs and check them out.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
A lot of crashing in collegiate cycling. I wouldn't spent $5000 on a bike. What's the fit problem you are having? Most people make this more complicated than it really is. You can probably still find great deals on last year's LS Tuscany, but these aren't really much lighter than quality steel frames. Places like Colorado Cyclist and Excel sell home brand ti frames that are quite decent, too. For racing I'd consider getting something in the $2000-$2500 range--maybe something like a Giant TCR or Titus Drop U. My $.02...

I think these are still made by LS:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...+Road+Frame&vendorCode=MACALU&major=1&minor=1

·
Registered
197 Posts
Slow down...

You might also want to keep in mind that if you're 18-19 (I assume) you may have a little growing left in you yet. It would be a shame to spent 3k/4k/5k on a bike that you'll outgrow in a year... Besides your college team might just have some arangements with manufacturers or shops thus saving you a bit of cash. Wait till you get to school and talk to the coaches and other riders... And don't forget that there's alot of beer you're going to need to purchase while at school, oh and all that other stuff like books...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.