Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

Just checkin in here. I haven't been posting much in this forum (not like I was posting a ton before) but I've been around reading and looking at the great pictures.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a little update. As some of you may know, I'm a pretty big boy and I got into cycling in order to lose some weight and have some fun. Well, both have been happening for me. I bought a pair of pants yesterday and they were 44's. I know that's huge for most of y'all, but rior to that I had been buyuing 48's and wearing them without a belt or anything. Now I'm in the 44's with a belt :D I'm just so excited. And the more i ride the more I love it, the more I love it, the more weight I lose.

I've been getting a lot of comments lately from friends and family telling me that I've lost weight, that I'm looking good, and to keep on doing whatever it is that I'm doing. It's really great, and very exciting.

As of now I have not weighed myself, and i don't plan on weighing myself any time soon. I don't want to fixate on only losing weight. I want to focus on becoming healthy and improving my life. The weight will go with that, I'm assuming ;) So far the best record of my weight loss has been my belt and the two extra notches I've had to make in order to bring it in so it would fit. I think a third is on the way pretty soon too, and I can't wait.

Unfortunatly I haven't ridden in about a week and a half as I've been sick, but I think that being off my bike is actually making me feel worse. I always felt so good throughout the day after riding to work/school, and getting a little more distance on the weekends. Now not only am I sick but I feel tired and worn out throughout the day because I haven't ridden. This weekend I've got a conference I'm chairing at for my university, and after that on Sunday I'm going to go out and try and get some miles in, then hopefully Tuesday I'll feel up to riding to work.

Other than this though, everything is going great. Being active has had a direct effect on my diet. I haven't eaten fast food in months, and I have a soda maybe once a month or so, if that. I feel better, I look better, and I've been really happy. I owe this to my bike, and to you guys for your support and help. Thanks a million guys. :)

joe

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
great post - you're right it's not about the diet or the weight or quick results - it's about lifestyle - well done -make sure you tell others your "secret"

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Right on!

Hey Joe

I was in the same boat as you. I think when your mind starts telling you to do it for reasons OTHER than losing weight, such as feeling better, getting healthier, etc., it's more rewarding, more successful, more realistic for the long-term. The lifestyle follows suit because it just seems silly to put a Big Mac into something you've come to like and rely on (your body).

For what it's worth, I ride when I'm sick. Even if just for a few minutes. On any given sick day, that's when I'll feel the best, when I'm riding.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Sounds like you're doing great Joe. Keep it up. And yes, don't worry about the scales. They can be more of hinderance than a help.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

I drug my sorry butt out of bed early today and rode to work, not wanting to be outdone by DrRoebuck ;)

I have to say that I feel much better. Still feel a little ill in my stomach, but that would be there anyway. At least I'm not all drained and lazy feeling. Thanks for the push :)

joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts