Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody should have an ERFO.

Don’t get me wrong, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Miss M’s old Waterford RS14 fixte, nothing wrong at all.

I gave it to her on Christmas of ’03 to replace a completely worn out Fuji fixte. She has been riding the heck out of it ever since and it was her favorite ride by far. Even with all that riding a quality fixte doesn’t require a lot of service or repair. A few chains, a new rear rim, some tires, tubes and brake pads were all I ever replaced in 10s of thousands of miles.

Still I have always thought that Miss M deserves the very best. Lately though I was noticing that her ride wasn’t the nicest one around (heck my fixte was more styling than hers). One thing is for sure no one I know rides more than she does year in a year out so it is really easy to justify her riding top end stuff on a cost per mile basis. Since I was leaving the bike shop and this was going to be my last chance to get a bike at cost it was time to pull the trigger and get an upgrade.

I gave the guys at Waterford a call and got the frame going-it was easy for them to get started since they had already built her 2 frames. I talked to Dave at Waterford about the paint style and colors I had in mind and he took it from there (with a note to the shop to “Make it pretty”).

Floyd at the bike shop and Commuter Guy at work helped me agonize over the parts. We were trying to select the very best of the best. They really enjoyed helping since they weren’t going to have to pay for anything.

We selected some Campy here, some Paul there, Brooks and Thompson of course, Salsa, Mavic and Michelin with just a touch of Shimano to show we aren’t complete snobs. Then it was time to start placing orders.

Parts started to show up last month and the frame arrived last Friday. I took a few parts and the wheels off her old fixte (her new wheel parts aren’t in yet) and built it up in 2 rainy evenings.

As soon as it dries up around here I’ll have some riding pix and her impressions of the thing for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Very Nicely Done! both bike and pictures.

Could you identify the handlebars, please?

Keep up the fine work, bikes, pic, and forum.

PS, have you checked your private messages lately :)

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
you need to be on ...

Waterford's payroll. These pic's and many of your others are bound to generate some orders.

The pic's are far superior to any of the shots on their site as well. Very nice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bike and pics are stunning. I always enjoy your posts when they include pics of your great collection of Waterfords. One of these days I hope to convince my Miss to let me get my dream lugged Waterford. In the meantime my one year old Gunnar Sport will have to do. By the way, do you miss working in the bike shop? Kinda like a kid in a candy store isn't it?
Larry

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uprwstsdr said:
MB1, Beautiful bike!! Was this a suprise? If so, what was Mrs. M's reaction? Also, why Campy levers and Shimano brakes?
No suprise but she had no idea on the details and color.

Campy levers because I like them more than any other (and if she decides she doesn't I have a bike that could use them).

Shimano brakes because Campy only makes short reach, this bike is going to get fenders sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
MB1 said:
Campy levers because I like them more than any other (and if she decides she doesn't I have a bike that could use them).
I agree, Carbon levers have a special feel, don't know why Shimano has not offered them.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Absolutely stunning....

My dream ride is a RS-22 in dark green..... I can't decide if I would want solid with some hot pinstriping, a flade, or a marble look. Good thing I don't have the cash to worry about it now.

I really really <3 H20fords....... I have called the factory a couple of times and their service is exemplary.

I would definitely go with chromed lugs for mine though.

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Damn

Beautiful, nice pics, nice essay, even nicer bike, Damn nice bike. I would luv for Sacha to build me one of dem dere lugged steel beauties with contemporary hardware. Absolutely beaut bike MB. You must have a might cool wifey. I luv the paint scheme too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.