Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I was riding around on my cyclocross bike today and my right pedal snapped off as I was trying to unclick with the pedal body still attached to my shoe. They're Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals (I think mxr or chrome) and the threaded portion of the spindle that holds the pedal body onto the spindle snapped at the bolt. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it common with Crank Bros? Suggestions on what to do? I bought them from Performance Bike about a year ago but can't find the receipt and they don't seem to have a history option under account info at Performancebike.com. I'm assuming I'll just need to buy new spindles which also comes with a pedal rebuild kit? I'll probably contact Crank Bros tomorrow to see what they say as well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I snapped the wings on two of my Candy's back before I switched to Time. I contacted Crank Brothers, they gave me an RA number, and two weeks later I had a fresh set of pedals. My pedals were certainly out of the warranty period too...

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
DRLski said:
So...I was riding around on my cyclocross bike today and my right pedal snapped off as I was trying to unclick with the pedal body still attached to my shoe. They're Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals (I think mxr or chrome) and the threaded portion of the spindle that holds the pedal body onto the spindle snapped at the bolt. Has this happened to anyone else? Is it common with Crank Bros? Suggestions on what to do? I bought them from Performance Bike about a year ago but can't find the receipt and they don't seem to have a history option under account info at Performancebike.com. I'm assuming I'll just need to buy new spindles which also comes with a pedal rebuild kit? I'll probably contact Crank Bros tomorrow to see what they say as well.

That happened to me on my eggbeaters and candies. CB made good on both occassions. Neither one was catastrophic although the candy made me late to work. Like the poster below, I also broke a wing off my candy pedals. It snapped off on my commute home earlier this year. The pedals were a few years old and really beat up. I ordered a new pair and rode the set with a missing wing for two more weeks.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh boy. Eggbeater pedals are making not so good news lately. A couple of weeks ago, in the East Coast National short track race at Windham, NY, Troy Wells (Tokyo Joes) snapped the spring on one of his, just as he put in a monstrous attack about mid-way in the race. See a short glimpse of Rude’s dad inspecting the pedals (I zoomed on the wrong one, it was his right pedal) at the end of the 15 minute video:

http://www.cyclocrossvideos.com/mtb/2008_mtb/2008_MTB_Pro_Men_STXC_Windham_NY.html

Troy was still able to finish the race in 15th place, his brother Todd won. I wonder if the short track racing will further evolve with the addition of a “pit” (or a “tech zone”) to take care of contingencies such as this. However, it may complicate too much the event with such short lap times – Pro Men were clocking about 90 seconds per lap at Windham.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have been riding my triple ti egg beater for 4 years with 4 cross seasons in them, rebuilt them once and they have never had any problems. I also have 2 other sl versions, one on a mtn bike and another on a new single speed. In the end pedals take alot of abuse and depending on your biomechanics you may be placing the pedals under stess that their design is not to take. Either way good luck and where there seems to be a few unlucky users there are thousands of people that still use them with no problems you just don't seem to hear about them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same story here. The body broke away from the spindle and C.B. was great about giving me an R.A. # and having my repaired pedals back to me in a couple weeks. Mine were also beat down and past the warranty but C.B. customer service was great. In my mind that goes a long ways.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
B15serv said:
Ive gone 3 years with a eggbeaters on multiple bikes, mallets on one bike, two friends with mallets, a friend with candys, and a friend with eggbeaters. no problems at all for any of us.
Cool. Nevertheless, you don't have to look too hard to find zillions of complaints about broken CB pedals. I have had good luck with Eggbeater SLs over the last 5 years -- no breakages, minimal maintenance. On the other hand I had a Candy crack on me for no obvious reason.

They are cheap. They are light. What more could you want. . . ?

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, just called CB up and they said they won't replace them or anything because the MXRs are entry level pedals and are not designed to take the abuse of cyclocross and are only meant for those who are looking to try out clipless pedals. They also said that they're not rebuildable so I can't just buy a pair of new upgraded spindles for them. So...not sure what I'm gonna do now, I really like the Eggbeaters so I may just look into buying a pair of the SLs. I may also consider looking into Time again, although that is where I came from.

·
More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
CB lists a 1 year warranty on the MXR and Smarty pedals and 2 years for all the other models. With that said, it is still a warranty. There is no weight restriction listed on the website nor any usage restrictions. It is fair to assume that they would be used in a similar manner to their other pedals, at least in the eggbeater line. I would try calling back and talking to a different cust. service rep or having your LBS call on your behalf. If you can contact Performance and have them check their sales records for when you made your purchase, it would help your case.

Bummer that you have to go through this additional hassle though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Due to the fact that I'm "fiscally impaired", I've been forced to use the entry level egg beaters on my mountainbikes (forget which ones I currently have) and I've smacked them on rocks and broken wings and went to the local LBS and got them warrantied with no problems.

·
raging results nerd
925 Posts
toddre said:
Due to the fact that I'm "fiscally impaired", I've been forced to use the entry level egg beaters on my mountainbikes (forget which ones I currently have) and I've smacked them on rocks and broken wings and went to the local LBS and got them warrantied with no problems.
Due to the fact that I'm fiscally conservative, I scored 4 pairs of used shimano 737's from ebay this spring for less than $100.

Beats the hell out of breaking and warranty-ing pedals all season long, but that extra 100g is killer.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea, we'll see what happens, I may not even want to deal with the warranty crap if they're just going to send me a pair of pedals that will most likely break again, I may just save myself the hassle and upgrade to the SLs or look at the Look Quarts or Time ATACs. Anyways, I was mostly just venting so thanks everyone for the advice and listening.

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I just bought a pair of SLs from my LBS, so we'll have to see how those go, but if these break I'll be going with Look or Time for my next pedals. And I'm saving my receipt this time!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got two years of commuting on a pair of candy's without any trouble. My GF was kind enough to surprise me last year with a pair of 2ti's for another bike which haven't missed a beat. I recently picked up a pair of what look like 2ti's with ti (gold) spindles that I'm going to put on my Major Jake and see how the go. Considering I'm +200lbs and I don't shy away from the occasional curb drop and whatnot I think the CrankBrothers have been good to me.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
funny to find this thread, as last night I was out for a ride (I have eggbeater s or something like that on my road bike), and my left pedal kept feeling really loose, even pulled out of the pedal once, something I had never done in eggbeaters. So, I stopped and low and behold, I had snapped one of the wings on the suckers, and did not even realize it.

I finished my ride and did not have another problem, but it kind of sucks about these pedals as I have only had them for about 6 months and only used them for my road bike. I am not sure if CB will cover them as I bought them off ebay, and not sure if it is even worth sending them back in as I have an older set of the original eggbeaters that have worked for nearly 4 years with 2 rebuilds.

Still quite disappointing as until now I had not had any problems with eggbeaters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.