Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,740 Posts
Bummer!

rocco said:
We're having a little Buck Owens day here.
I can still recall watching Roy and Buck on "Hee Haw" as a kid. Heaven is sure making a country super group with Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline etc...

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
One of the pioneers of Country Rock. And a grittier, more intense performer than his Hee Haw days might have indicated.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Really?

When did this happen? I can remember watching Hee-haw (and wasn't there a Buck Owens show as well?) and listening to his music (at the time, not willingly) as my Dad and Uncle would play him, Johhn Cash and others. In the words of the "Righteous Brothers";
"If you believe in forever
then life is just a one-nite stand
If there 's a rock n roll heaven
well you know they've got a hell of band"
Buck may not have been r&r, but I'll bet he and the boys and girls out there are makin some great music.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
I read a book a couple of years ago on the history of the Fender guitar.

In the 40's and early 50' the Fender company was making radios and Leo Fender was trying to figure out a way to make an electric guitar. He was making pedal steel guitars for Hawaiian music and developed the solid body electric guitar to service dance band guitarists as well as Bakersfield C&W music players. Fender made a guitar (the current Telecaster) to bridge the two styles.

Buck Owens was one of the musicians who's feedback (no pun intended) helped Leo Fender to develop the instrument in to what it is today.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
il sogno said:
One of the pioneers of Country Rock. And a grittier, more intense performer than his Hee Haw days might have indicated.

Yeah, that's a fact that gets buried. I never knew it growing up... only knowing that red, white, and blue guitar and the Hee Haw shtick which my grandfather loved and I couldn't stand.

It wasn't until Dwight Yoakam's hey-day when someone educated me about the "Bakersfield sound" and the influence of Buck Owens did I realize that the man actual made some cool music.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
il sogno said:
I read a book a couple of years ago on the history of the Fender guitar.

In the 40's and early 50' the Fender company was making radios and Leo Fender was trying to figure out a way to make an electric guitar. He was making pedal steel guitars for Hawaiian music and developed the solid body electric guitar to service dance band guitarists as well as Bakersfield C&W music players. Fender made a guitar (the current Telecaster) to bridge the two styles.

Buck Owens was one of the musicians who's feedback (no pun intended) helped Leo Fender to develop the instrument in to what it is today.
Yep. Buck was one of the earliest major proponents of the Telecaster for country music. He was SO the real deal, and I grew up listening to him at my Grandmother's house.

He was a rocker, and not afraid to experiment either--I have heard some very psychedelic stuff he put out in the late 60s. I'm not saying it's good, but it's very interesting, and a bold move for a country star.

And that dude was OLD. By the time Hee-Haw came on, he'd already been a star for like 15 years or something.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
jtolleson said:
Yeah, that's a fact that gets buried. I never knew it growing up... only knowing that red, white, and blue guitar and the Hee Haw shtick which my grandfather loved and I couldn't stand.

It wasn't until Dwight Yoakam's hey-day when someone educated me about the "Bakersfield sound" and the influence of Buck Owens did I realize that the man actual made some cool music.

I used to like you until you insulted Hee Haw. Next thing you are going to be saying is that Dukes of Hazard was shallow and unrealistic. :D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
bigrider said:
I used to like you until you insulted Hee Haw. Next thing you are going to be saying is that Dukes of Hazard was shallow and unrealistic. :D
ahhh memories of my late grandmother--watching Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk and General Hospital.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
godspeed ole Buck

they should do the right thing and change the name from Bakersfield to Buckersfield.
Real country, the thing that caused Dwight Yoakam to leave NAshville and head out west.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
this could get me started on a whole

nother tangent. "What the hell happened to country music?"

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
ahhh memories of my late grandmother--watching Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk and General Hospital.

You know the difference between a rhinoceros and the Lawrence Welk Show?

A rhino has the horns up front and the a$$hole in the back

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
atpjunkie said:
nother tangent. "What the hell happened to country music?"

We still have Alan Jackson

Dwight singing "I sang Dixie" is bout as good as it gets.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
bigrider said:

Yeah, well. BoJo picked on General Hospital, and back about 20 years ago them woulda been fightin' words. Anyone around my age would've been glued to the TV for Luke and Laura's wedding back in the day.

As for Hee Haw and the Dukes of Hazzard...

Maybe I just didn't appreciate the "finer things" back then.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
jtolleson said:
Yeah, well. BoJo picked on General Hospital, and back about 20 years ago them woulda been fightin' words. Anyone around my age would've been glued to the TV for Luke and Laura's wedding back in the day.

As for Hee Haw and the Dukes of Hazzard...

Maybe I just didn't appreciate the "finer things" back then.

GH had a cult following and I am proud to say I didn't join. There were grown men in college across the nation gossiping about GH in the cafeterias.

They say TV has gone downhill with reality shows but if anyone was tortured at their future inlaws house by having to sit there their bride to be and watch Dallas with the family like I was would beg to differ.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
real stonie said:
Has anyone found a means of coping with this tragedy yet?
Buck's ex wife Bonnie Owens died yesterday due to complications from Alzheimers. She had also been married to Merle Haggard.

*sigh*...'Scuse Me (I Think I got a Heartache), I've Got You On My Mind... :( :( :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm more of a metal head, but I have a place for Johnny Cash, and Buck Owens. Something how they and their wives died within a short time of each other.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts