Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to lunch with co-workers, we all had beers and they griped their asses off.

Now I'm depressed.

blech.

·
Proud luddite
7,190 Posts
Man, if I had beer at lunch it would be grounds for termination. So I just complain about work even though I'm sober.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
liquid lunch ftw

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've always wondered how people can do this. I think the company that I am contracted out to allows their employees to have a beer at lunch. I would be too afraid that if I did, even though it is allowed, that something would by chance go wrong... like an accident or injury, it leaves the door open for too many questions. I would just rather make up for that ONE beer after work, by multiplying it by 8 or 11ty.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I always heard lunch beers make the afternoon's extra sleepy and make them go way slower

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
How much beer did you have at lunch or how bad is it where you work?

On Fridays, we sometimes have a couple(2) of beers at lunch. No one complains, they just leave early because the beer made them sleepy and unproductive.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
thats whay i do martini(s) lunch

·
I luv riding in WA
1,148 Posts
naturaldub said:
I always heard lunch beers make the afternoon's extra sleepy and make them go way slower
That theory needs testing and I see it is now 11:55am on the left coast. Cheers. :thumbsup:

·
Ricardo Cabeza
19,731 Posts
****, the boss buys beer to stock the fridge here at the office

·
I luv riding in WA
1,148 Posts
Andy69 said:
****, the boss buys beer to stock the fridge here at the office
Hey, mine too. But he's frisky with his hands sometimes after a few drinks, gotta talk to HR about that.

Ahhhhh, the pros and cons of self-employment.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I've done the beer at lunch thing a few times, usually with my boss. It does make for a sleepy afternoon that drags, but only because I have only ever sat at a desk afterwords. I am sure if there were more activity in my job following lunch one beer wouldn't cause such an effect. Now that I think about it, most of my bosses so far have had an affinity for beer. Not that it's a bad thing.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I'm not sure if we're allowed to not, but I can't wait until after hours to have a beer, it's not going to kill me. I do know that the company will only pay for a max of two drinks per meal if they are picking up the tab. I guess schmoozing with customers and such is an acceptable time to drink?

I do remember one time at a completely unrelated job than I have now where it was late after hours and the $hitter had overflowed and was pouring poo water everywhere, and we stuck around to mop and make sure the plumber didn't walk off with the entire warehouse. Somebody brought a sixer or something and we were drinking out of red solo cups waiting for the plumber to do his thing, and the boss showed up. I think he knew what was going on but played dumb because we were helping him out.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I used to have business meetings with Japanese clients on Friday afternoons. Always had lot's of beer and wine on hand. Business boomed. Ah, the good ol' days!

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Back in the day when I was in the National Guard, we always had beers during lunch on drill weekends. I was under the assumption that it was permissable...

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Man, I love my job. Our liquid lunches end up becoming happy hour and we're done for the day. Nobody even talks about work.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I work in advertising. There's still a bit of the old 3 martin lunch mentality left in the industry, so having a beer over lunch on a sloooooooow friday is considered fine.

Personally, I never do it- this was the first lunch beer I've had in years. And it'll probably be the last one I do for a while as well. Like I said, pretty depressing.

The bacon cheeseburger was pretty awesome, though.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
azpeterb said:
Man, if I had beer at lunch it would be grounds for termination. So I just complain about work even though I'm sober.
That is something I've always found interesting about the American attitude towards alcohol. You can swill caffeine (coffee, soda, red bull, etc.) or smoke nicotine all day and it's okay, but one beer or wine with lunch and it's grounds for termination? Hell, nowadays lots of people are on mind altering prescription drugs at work all the time.

At my first job out of college my boss was British and thought is was strange that a pint or two at lunch was frowned upon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts