Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know how some of you feel about the show, and I can't stand the abusive nature during the run up. But I had the show on in the background tonight and this kid came on last. He really kicked it hard! He was amazing! He brought goose bumps to my arms.

Chris Daughtry

Keep an eye on this dude cause it's either him or one of the chicas....

Mark my words.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
spyderman said:
Ok, I know how some of you feel about the show, and I can't stand the abusive nature during the run up. But I had the show on in the background tonight and this kid came on last. He really kicked it hard! He was amazing! He brought goose bumps to my arms.

Chris Daughtry

Mark my words.
American Idol is a perfect example of how far down in the shitter the nation is. Perhaps we can all catch a re-run of "survivor" afterwards? :rolleyes:

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FTF said:
American Idol is a perfect example of how far down in the shitter the nation is. Perhaps we can all catch a re-run of "survivor" afterwards? :rolleyes:
I know, I can't stand reality shows. I go outa my way to avoid them. But when you hear this kid sing you will be impressed.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
FTF said:
ditto.b

·
With the Radio On...
965 Posts
Ed Sullivan!

The country needs some Vaudville. And if I were a tv exec., I would realize that the American intellect is starving for a good variety show.

The dude at issue, while very good, is kinda one of a million Eddy Vedders though, isn't he? Is grunge still happening somewhere?? (notice all the guys showing off their belt buckles. The "buckle-tuck" : )

I'll go with 'Sway' as the dude of choice but believe that light skinned black girl with the jazzy delivery and long curly hair is our next flash in the pan. Then again, reflecting on the depth of the American psyche, she may run too deep and the little power-house from Atlanta who did r-e-s-p-e-c-t is probably more idol friendly.

I'm sticking with jazzy girl.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
128 said:
The country needs some Vaudville. And if I were a tv exec., I would realize that the American intellect is starving for a good variety show.

The dude at issue, while very good, is kinda one of a million Eddy Vedders though, isn't he? Is grunge still happening somewhere?? (notice all the guys showing off their belt buckles. The "buckle-tuck" : )

I'll go with 'Sway' as the dude of choice but believe that light skinned black girl with the jazzy delivery and long curly hair is our next flash in the pan. Then again, reflecting on the depth of the American psyche, she may run too deep and the little power-house from Atlanta who did r-e-s-p-e-c-t is probably more idol friendly.

I'm sticking with jazzy girl.
Variety hour or a new Gong Show. We all know how America likes to see people humliated. :rolleyes: I mean, look at the success of Fear Factor...half naked people runnin around performing humiliating tasks in order to pay off their bill collector. Now that's entertainment. :rolleyes:

Considering the Idol's audience, I'm sure you're probably correct. It makes it very difficult for a talented guy to win over a semi-talented girl. There aren't too many little boys in their audience that dream of becoming a singer.

I thought Daughtry totally outclassed the other nine guys last night. It usually takes a lot for me to sit up and take notice, but this guy really impressed me. If he doesn't win, he'll certainly get signed by someone.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
We tried Vaudville....

wasn't his name Wayne Brady? Howd that go over...?

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
greatest moment in Modern TV

was the Wayne Brady going gangsta over the "Makes Brian Gumble Look Black" comment on the Chappelle Show. Best comedy sketch in decades.
"Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a b!tch?"

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
spyderman said:

Chris Daughtry

Mark my words.
We have a tv at home, but my wife and I don't really watch it unless there is something really interesting on the news, or some history channel thing about Romans or torture or, better yet, tortured Romans. We also don't let the kids watch tv during the week, but they are allowed to watch a little bit on the weekends.

My second grader asked me last month if she could watch American Idol this year because all of her friends do. I told her not during the week, but that if she would start cleaning up the dog poop outside every day, I would tape it for her and she could watch it on Sunday after she finished all her homework. Deal struck, and I got SCREWED.

Little did I know that the crafty little minx would get FOUR hours of TV a week out of this. The damned show is on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. nights! But, a deal is a deal, and I must say the poop in the back yard is not nearly as bad as it used to be. (Apparently, the little Scottsman we had cleaning it up before wasn't very diligent and preferred to ride his bike or snooze or spend hours looking at lingerie catalogs.)

Anyways, I don't know how to set the vcr (technology from the 1980s that still baffles me), so in order to tape something, I have to turn the tv on, mute it, and hit record. Last night, my wife was out with one of her friends and I was lonely and bored, so i watched it while it was taping.

Several observations: 1. It is a BAD show; 2. That woman (Paula) who used to be a singer looks like she needs psych meds more than I do; 3. That British guy is kind of funny, but it seems like he is trying to be a dick (is he always like that?); 4. Those guys who are competing can actually sing; 5. The last guy, who is the one you commented on, was REALLY good; and 6. As bad as the show was, I was really captivated by it; total mindless entertainment.

But, how does it work? They have these numbers that you can call, and I know by calling you are voting, but how do they keep people from calling more than once? I would think that some people would try to vote for more than one person, and they don't say that you can only vote once. I did hear them say that the numbers are not 800 numbers, so my guess is they are something like those old 976 numbers where you would pay money by calling, and I bet the show makes money off of the calls, too. I just couldn't believe it when they said that last week the show had higher ratings than the Olympics!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Right now they have so many singers, they do two 1 1/2 hour shows, then the elimination show. This will eventually drop to one 1 hour show, followed by a 30-minute elimination show. So your kids TV time will decline over time. Personally, we never watch the elimination shows. We don't vote either. We're not THAT involved. We just take it for what it is, entertainment.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
morrison said:
Ok, but how does the voting work? Can you vote for more than one person? (My daughter wanted to vote and I told her you had to be watching it live to vote, b/c I think the thursday show is when they tally the votes up, so you can't vote after that, right?) This whole thing has boggled my mind; like curling, but with song.
There is no limit on voting as far as I know. You can vote as many times as you want, and for as many people as you want.

Voting is only allowed for two hours directly after the show. East coast viewers and west coast viewers have their own voting periods.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Right now they have so many singers, they do two 1 1/2 hour shows, then the elimination show. This will eventually drop to one 1 hour show, followed by a 30-minute elimination show. So your kids TV time will decline over time. Personally, we never watch the elimination shows. We don't vote either. We're not THAT involved. We just take it for what it is, entertainment.
Ok, but how does the voting work? Can you vote for more than one person? (My daughter wanted to vote and I told her you had to be watching it live to vote, b/c I think the thursday show is when they tally the votes up, so you can't vote after that, right?) This whole thing has boggled my mind; like curling, but with song.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ed Sullivan lives!

128 said:
Only he changed his name to... "The Olympics!"

What I mean is, NBC treated the winter Olympics like acts on the old Sullivan show: a little culture (Metropolitan Opera tenor/x-country skiing), a little schtick (the guy spinning all those plates/curling) and something for the kids (Herman's Hermits/short track skating). Nothing to tax the viewers' attention span.

Womens' skating already presaged reality shows with Tonya Harding a few games ago.

In 2002 we happened to be in Paris during the winter Olympics' middle week-end. What a contrast! The TV coverage actually consisted of entire competitions; imagine, an entire cross-country ski race, or biathalon event, even if no French athlete was prominent.

And no human interest/ up-close-and-personals. We had to read about the scandal surrounding the French skating judge in the newspapers.

If it wasn't Paris, we might have stayed in our hotel the whole time and just watched the games.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
mohair_chair said:
There is no limit on voting as far as I know. You can vote as many times as you want, and for as many people as you want.

Voting is only allowed for two hours directly after the show. East coast viewers and west coast viewers have their own voting periods.
I find it rather scary that you know all this mohair........ :eek:

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
snapdragen said:
I find it rather scary that you know all this mohair........ :eek:
Hey, I just read the paper every morning. It's all in there. I have all kinds of useless information in my head.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Hey, I just read the paper every morning. It's all in there. I have all kinds of useless information in my head.
Just like the shoe shine guy on Police Squad.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
FTF said:
AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
AMEN! Couldn't have said it better myself.
C'mon, American Idol is what it is, today's current pop culture. It's not for adults. It's cotton candy for little girls dreaming of becoming a singer/pop star.

One redeeming quality of the show is it does give a talented person an opportunity to get some pretty cheap publicity and an opportunity in a tough industry. I mean how many of us would have heard of people like Bo Bice...etc.

I find any show that promotes abuse and humiliation degrading and deplorable. Most of the reality based programming today falls into that category.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts