1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thank you, George, for all the recording wizardry and musical imagination. The Boys wouldn't have been the boys we love without you.

It seems the only fitting soundtrack for the day would be the final piano chord of "A Day in the Life," riding the gain so the fade never ends . . .

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
An integral cog in the recorded legacy. Adventurous. Collegial. And a damnably good set of ears.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Without him, they might've had the shorter life expectancy of the boy bands to follow. Instead, they were able to thrive as artists.

Martin knew to let them experiment rather than stick with a formula, however successful the formula was.

Reading about his work now, I didn't realize just how much he actually wrote and composed. I thought his contribution was more producer and less artist, but he had a real talent for both.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Martin made an indelible mark on music and the recording industry. His contribution to the Beatles and to other popular music was enormous. You can literally divide music and recording as pre and post Beatles.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
Unbelievable just how vast his contributions were to the group. Even from the very early days he was key to molding the song structures and adding unique instrumental accents. Later the horns and strings etc. He was the producer not on Let it Be - quite a difference.

No doubt they had 3 great songwriting talents in John, Paul and George. All four Beatles were well equipped to handle fame - they spent a lot of time grinding in low level clubs to hone their chops and attitudes.

George Martin made that talent and hard work coalesce into magic.

BTW - I thought the 5th Beatle was Murray the K.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would easily consider George Martin the "5th Beatle" especially as they moved away from touring and into the studio to do all of their work. His contribution both technically and musically was enormous. Their music was shaped and guided by his knowledge and influence. There was a real partnership and collaboration with the group. Preston, Clapton and others made some contributions, but none that were as long term or as huge as those by Martin.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would easily consider George Martin the "5th Beatle" especially as they moved away from touring and into the studio to do all of their work. His contribution both technically and musically was enormous. Their music was shaped and guided by his knowledge and influence. There was a real partnership and collaboration with the group. Preston, Clapton and others made some contributions, but none that were as long term or as huge as those by Martin.

Quoted for truth.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Without him, they might've had the shorter life expectancy of the boy bands to follow. Instead, they were able to thrive as artists.

Martin knew to let them experiment rather than stick with a formula, however successful the formula was.

Reading about his work now, I didn't realize just how much he actually wrote and composed. I thought his contribution was more producer and less artist, but he had a real talent for both.
None of the Beatles could read or write music.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts