Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, poison oak. Got a little bump on my left index finger. Just one, but I scratched it to hell before I realized what it was. I hope it doesn't spread too much more.

I tried taking a photo, but I rubbed technu all over it and it's not even red anymore. Not real itchy either...

Let's hope I don't end up with it all over myownself from "transfer".
 

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
Joined
·
7,158 Posts
Typically, I'm not one to laugh because I know how much poison oak SUCKS... but you were giving me lip while I was trying to help you...

... sooo.... :lol:



 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,756 Posts
It doesn't matter how much you scratch or touch it now...at this stage it won't spread. However, over the next few days you'll likely see it pop up elsewhere from your first contact when you initially spread the urushiol on yourself from the plant.

I usually get poison ivy about once a year and am pretty good at ignoring it now. I put some Ivarest on mine to help the itch a bit.

Glad to see you got a souvenir! :D
 

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
Joined
·
7,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Art853 said:
Oh no! I was thinking you might not get any. Let's hope it is mild.
Still the same this morning, just that one bump on my index finger that itched like hell last night. It's fine now. No new itchies, no new bumps. Same thing happens to me when I "get" poison ivy. Weird.
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
when i got posion ivy, i found if you hold the affected area under hot water for 15-30 seconds, the itching would go away for hours. the water was generally hot enough that you could only take it for about 30 seconds. it really helped.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Should we be looking for Cruizer's "Med help: I have a rash on my bum" thread?


joe
 

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
Joined
·
5,930 Posts
We use FelsNaptha laundry soap. Scratch the blister till it opens up, then wash with the soap. Stops the itch and dries out the blister. We have so many issues with bites and poison ivy that the FelsNaptha just lives in our shower. Its easier that way.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,518 Posts
I'm not gonna even look at that site. I had poison oak once on my arms and legs. By the end of two weeks I was ready to unzip my skin and climb into some new. Ugh.

Von, you're lucky it's contained to that one finger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
I had a case of poison oak as a kid that would have been right up there with the worst of the cases on that site. I was basically unable to walk because the skin on my legs was one big blister. It was spectacular(ly) awful.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
HokieRider said:
We use FelsNaptha laundry soap. Scratch the blister till it opens up, then wash with the soap. Stops the itch and dries out the blister. We have so many issues with bites and poison ivy that the FelsNaptha just lives in our shower. Its easier that way.
Does this really work? Hadn't thought about Fels Naptha in years, but when I was a kid, my dad was a telephone lineman, putting the first phone lines down the San Francisco Peninsula to the (then remote) towns on the coast. There's poison oak all over there, and every afternoon the line crew would dip buckets of water out of the creeks and scrub down with Fels Naptha. Then he'd bring his clothes home and my mom would wash them with the family stuff and we'd ALL get poison oak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,095 Posts
yuck.
with me, it starts real slow (just a couple of bumps, here and there), but then just keeps on going for about ten days before it starts slipping down the other side.
one time only prednisone helped. the stuff started eating a hole in my leg.
funny, when I was real young, I didn't get it. there we would be, eleven year olds climbing all over Mother Nature, and I would be the only one not to get it. now, I'm very sensitive.
I think that the wash stuff only helps if you get to it real early, before it's absorbed into your pores. that's why you're supposed to wash in cool water -- so your pores don't open. once it's in there, they tell me it's in there. you can relieve the symptoms, but you're not getting rid of the oil.
the real scary part is that the oil is very stable and supposedly can cause a reaction a year later. if the oil gets on your little garden gloves in 2008, you can get it again when you pick up the same garden gloves in 2009.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top