1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Now that is real man. I can't let my wife know these guys are out there.

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts

·
hello
3,395 Posts
dwwheels said:
Now that is real man. I can't let my wife know these guys are out there.
+1 Exactly!

I've always led my wife and family to believe that I was the best ultra distance rider on the fixed gear.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
roadfix said:
+1 Exactly!

I've always led my wife and family to believe that I was the only ultra distance rider on the fixed gear.
Well he hasn't done it yet (article says he start June 20th)--will be interesting to see if he makes it the whole way. Still...even this training sounds painful

Nice's training rides, sometimes all-nighters up to 160 miles, are legendary in Denver's bike circles. His longest fixed-gear ride was a 24-hour, 276-mile odyssey over five Colorado passes — Guanella, Kenosha, Mosquito, Tennessee and Loveland.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Riding with Miss M who prefers fixed over all others makes me realize what can be done on a fixed gear bike.

Like she says, it is not really all that big of a deal.

Plus it takes the thinking out of bike riding.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
if I remember correctly he's the guy who had his bike and gear stolen while he slept the first night of the GDR a couple years ago. (he also posts on MTBR as 'slowerthensnot')

from his blog:
This is a pic of me after getting my bike stolen and then walking 35 miles next to Flathead lake spending my last $5 on a calling card and then getting a hold of Scott T. who wired me some cash to get home. I ate at A&W and had a root beer float. One of the best things I have consumed in a long time.

its coming up again so we'll see. There were a couple of strong riders on fixies last year, both bailed pretty early on.

I'll be tuning in to the blogs again this year when the riders check in via phone and have it transcribed. Fun to follow...

http://www.greatdividerace.com/

// and yes, I do think I'm tough. :cool:

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
MB1 said:
Plus it takes the thinking out of bike riding.
I still have to think sometimes about how trying to coast through a tight corner might not be such a good idea, but that's just me---noobsauce all the way.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fredke said:
I still have to think sometimes about how trying to coast through a tight corner might not be such a good idea, but that's just me---noobsauce all the way.
That's why I can't imagine doing off-road fixed would be any fun at all...clearance issues there all the time and sometimes you even have to ratchet the pedals back and forth to get over some stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hollywood said:
if I remember correctly he's the guy who had his bike and gear stolen while he slept the first night of the GDR a couple years ago. (he also posts on MTBR as 'slowerthensnot')
You do remember correctly. His story even made national news. There were blurbs in the local paper and on NPR at the time. The guy just won't give up. I ride fixed road and SS MTB all the time. But Fixed MTB? Just no desire, but a lot of respect.

The Great Divide Race starts on Friday and I'll be paying attention. Kent Peterson was the first and only official finisher to do it SS. Nathan Bay finished last year outside the time cutoff. Jeff Kirby and the persistent Mr. Nice dropped out. Maybe third time's the charm.

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
That's why I can't imagine doing off-road fixed would be any fun at all...clearance issues there all the time and sometimes you even have to ratchet the pedals back and forth to get over some stuff.
It becomes second nature pretty quickly and isn't really that difficult. It's the chaffing from spinning 2500 miles that terrifies me.

·
Old an creaky
29 Posts
I've ridden with him a few times. Parts of Trans Iowa 2 and 3 and the Crested Butte Classic 100 mtb race a couple years ago. The offroad stuff amazes me. We did a night ride last fall around Nederland and the way he maneuvers through boulder field is fun to watch.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hollywood said:
*bump*

bummer, out before he started. :(
comment on the blog...sounds like this might have been a contributing factor.

-------------------------------

<dl id="comments-block"><dt class="comment-author anon-comment-icon" id="c638783220372465540"></dt>
<dt id="c638783220372465540" class="comment-author anon-comment-icon"> Anonymous said... </dt><dd class="comment-body"> Dude,

FWIW, coming from a person who has done a lot of racing and training in the past years. I can honestly say that by looking at your schedule and riding/racing events leading up to Tour Divide that you are very over trained. Please use this experience as a tool and learn from your mistakes. Don't get down about dropping out, these events are what you want to do. At least you're trying to do it. I really hope that one day you finish the Tour Divide. Be happy. You're an inspiration to many.

Fellow Brother of the Fixed Wheel
</dd>
<dd class="comment-body">
</dd></dl>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.