Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of Frankie Andreu and Robbie Ventura as reporters?
I appreciate their knowledge and think overall they do a descent job. My one minor quip is that when they interview the non-Anglophone riders (Contador, Petacchi) they often seem to rattle the questions off pretty damn fast (and both have a bit of an accent in my opinion!). Not that they need to dumb it down or anything, but alot of those guys aren't exactly fluent yet. I'm actually really impressed with Contador especially making the effort to answer the questions in English. He does really well IMO and will only get better I'm sure.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
They were really good I thought.

It's tough for foreign riders to express themselves in English and un-fortunetly their concentration on translating their thoughts for us into English means we lose a lot of the personality which otherwise comes out easily with native or fluent English speakers.

For example, I'm sure that Alberto and Alejet are both better interviews in thier native Spanish and Italian respectivly than in English.

I wonder if Cav would be such a good interview if he had to take the time to translate his thoughts?...nah, scratch that - Cav is fluent in sign language.

+1 Hope to see more of Frankie and Robbie in future broadcasts.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
I will start off by saying tgey have both improved over the past few years. But tgey still drive me batty. Ventura is pretty good when he does his rehearsed spots, such as final lead-ins to the stage finale. Sometimes his first interview question is good, but follow-ups devolve from there. He has seemed to get slightly bette. over the past few years.

Andreu? Even his rehearsed spots are bad. He is lucky Armstrong has said Andreu is the only to interview him. The olive branch has helped Frankie keep his job. I keep expecting him to lob an epo question, but it never happens. It would be so poorly constructed anyway.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
They both make me a bit crazy. I always equate them to the talking heads on the local news station or
disk jockey types I hear on the radio. Very "info-mercial" sounding voices. Just stop; take a lesson from Bob,
Paul and Phil. Chill out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
stealthman_1 said:
Wasn't Robbie Ventura a short-stop for the White Sox???
ROBIN Ventura was a third and first baseman for the Chicago White Sox, New York Mets, New York Yankees, and briefly, the Los Angeles Dodgers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts