1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
This strictly speaking is Motorola (Lenovo) choosing not to support it anymore, because of Ext file system changes in Android...SD cards quit being supported by Google a long while ago, the reason they still work is because OEMs add the needed drivers and code into their own Android builds/OTAs

It still can sort of work:

https://techmagus.ninja/install-link2sd-apps2sd-marshmallow/

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, so are they trying to get us to keep all our pics and music on the cloud?

that is both really expensive and really inconvenient.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yeah, so are they trying to get us to keep all our pics and music on the cloud?

that is both really expensive and really inconvenient.
I see it as built in obsolescence so we have to buy replacement phones. It works like this:
- google writes the base android code, which doesn't include SD cards,
- so, over time, phones / mfg's that dont have to write extra code (cost) for SD cards, gain a cost advantage, thereby gradually forcing out phones with SD cards
- google also continually "updates" Android, including adding in these new google apps that you did not ask for but cannot delete.
- eventually your internal storage fills up with google crap, and you have to buy a new phone.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Actually, the reason they do that is due to the way they designed the encryption on the phones. It is not that they won't or don't support SD, it is more that having a mixed encrypted and non encrypted environments in the same device is just a really bad idea.

Once you encrypt something, it is married to that device. Now I have no checked if you can actually disabled encryption on your particular phone. If you can, then you could use the SD card in any device that can read the filesystem, but you loose all your privacy and security on the phone.

This is just the very basic high level overview, the details are a little more insane :)
Simply, all of the manufacturers are moving to encryption, and with that, you lose some functionality.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
that went away years ago like Marc said. App writers can still write it in to their code. I have The S7 and I can move some apps to the micro.
(Android 6.0.1)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts