Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
btw fer you tech watchers, go check out the Oracle-Google lawsuit. Bring popcorn.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Gotta wait for the next qtr report due to iPhone 4 sales. The qtr this was taken was a dead period for Apple as no one was buying iPhones knowing a new model was coming.

Now its bound to happen fast as Android in on basically every carrier now in the US and has about 12 models out or more right now. But the OS needs work and until you buy a phone today and the following week and can't get a new Android update, the OS will SUCK!

I like my Phone 4 but I am intrigued someday with switching. if this CDMA iPhone coming does hit Verizon and not Sprint or just China, we will truly see the power of Apple.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
Creakyknees said:
btw fer you tech watchers, go check out the Oracle-Google lawsuit. Bring popcorn.
Thanks for the heads-up--I predict it may set records for enriching lawyers...

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
I'm on verizon, love verizon, and my wife's got a droid. It's OK. But compared to my iPod touch... not so much. The screen is not as nice, it's kinda clunky.

I'd say the difference between the apple stuff and the android stuff is the difference between a custom fitted bike from a really good LBS and something you get at bikesdirect.

Sure, one is going to be a lot cheaper and if you know what you are doing, it will be just fine. But if you aren't technically inclined, it'd great to pay a little extra and get the one that will fit you just right, from a place you can come back to for all your accessories.

So, honestly, I don't care how many people are buying apple or droid or whatever. I'm waiting until the iphone comes to verizon. it's the one that's right for me.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
Where does Palm fit in?
Right now, they'd be the makers of the best penny farthings ever.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
buck-50 said:
I'd say the difference between the apple stuff and the android stuff is the difference between a custom fitted bike from a really good LBS and something you get at bikesdirect.
can you throw away the frame and sell the components on ebay and still make money?

anyone have a droid 2 yet? the slide out keyboard seems to be a good feature.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
can you throw away the frame and sell the components on ebay and still make money?

I never said it was a perfect analogy.:D

My wife has the droid with the slide out keyboard- pretty much the same as the new one.

She thought she was going to need it but after the first week, she just used the virtual keyboard- says it's faster and easier to use.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
buck-50 said:
I never said it was a perfect analogy.:D

My wife has the droid with the slide out keyboard- pretty much the same as the new one.

She thought she was going to need it but after the first week, she just used the virtual keyboard- says it's faster and easier to use.
ahh...so maybe the droid x is the way to go then. touchscreens kinda scare me though durability-wise.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:

The keys on the Droid 2 are much better than the original Droid which I have. They are raised vs being flat. Not great, but much better than the original Droid. The Droid X is crazy awesome...the screen & resolution is unreal.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
ahh...so maybe the droid x is the way to go then. touchscreens kinda scare me though durability-wise.
I've had mine (iPod touch) now for 9 months and it's got exactly one small scratch. I do not use a screen guard, but I do use a silcone wrap. I've dropped it a couple times.

I take it with me 90% of the time. I just have to remember not to put my keys in the same pocket, and I put it in my pocket with the screen facing my leg.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Creakyknees said:
How long will Apple fans remain in denial?

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/#ixzz0wSkV85Jx
Like many other "business" reports they focus on quarter by quarter basis. So they compare Q2 2009 sales with Q2 2010 sales.
Facts :
A few Android phones were released to various carriers during Q2 2010. What was Apple competing with? Answer: iPhone 3GS (a 2009 model). Despite that it did quite well even outselling many more recent Android based phones from LG, HTC, Motorola. Perhaps a more fair coparison would be to look at overall yearly sales.

In the US iPhone is available on one and only carrier. That's Apple's choice, fair enough.
What would really interest me is how is the iPhone doing over a whole year in countries where it is available on multiple carriers covering the majority of the population. Take Canada for example, available on all of the big 3 networks (Bell, Telus, Rogers). If anyone has statistics please share.

Often enough we hear of special BOGO deals from various carriers. When was the last time we heard of an iPhone BOGO deal? Why do these deals happen? Is it because the carrier or device maker loves us or is it to get rid of stock that isn't selling any more? What does that tell us about the lack of BOGOs for the iPhone?

From the article: The insistence on selling fully integrated hardware and software devices, instead of focusing on low-cost, widely distributed software.
OK this was the reason why he original Mac became a niche product. Now what do these genius analysts want Apple to do? Open up the iOS to everyone and allow HTC, Motorola, LG, Samsung to control the experience? And how is Apple going to make money? By inventing its search engine and going up against Google? Or is MobileMe supposed to start competing with GMail? Puh-lease!
Google's business model is to flood the market with cheap devices and get you to click on their services.
Apple's is to offer you the best customer service and user experience possible. Only time will tell if one overtakes the other or if both survive.

Finally one last observation. Since the Android OS is given away for free, why does Verizon's, or Sprint's flagship product cost the same as ATT's flagship iPhone with a 2 year deal? Where's that Mac tax many are talking about?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
MG537 said:
Finally one last observation. Since the Android OS is given away for free, why does Verizon's, or Sprint's flagship product cost the same as ATT's flagship iPhone with a 2 year deal? Where's that Mac tax many are talking about?
Cell phones hardware pricing is not really the true reflection of what such a device really costs. They know they will make their $$ back from your contract.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
They know they will make their $$ back from your contract.
And then some.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Cell phones hardware pricing is not really the true reflection of what such a device really costs. They know they will make their $$ back from your contract.
Yup.

I went and looked at an Android phone with built in b/g WiFi. I figured when it was time to re-up, I could use b/g and get speedy net access since I'm around wireless nets pretty much 24/7...and save some coin. Nope. I have to pay $70/month for a wireless plan I don't need or want for a feature I don't plan on using.

Fckers. Ya build in b/g wireless on a device, and people cannot use it unless the pay for a data plan anyway. Fckers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts