Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O finally got rid of my BlackBerry for a Moment. I got sick of waiting for an HTC Evo. What apps do you guys like? I got Tracks and I did 2 mountain bike rides with it. Kind of nice having all the GPS info at the end. There is so much to choose from I don't know whats good.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
I tried iMapMyRide on my HTC Hero and it locked up the first time. That was it for me and I uninstalled it. I had just ordered a new Garmin Forerunner 305 so I didn't actually need it. By the time it locked up it had consumed nearly 50% of my battery and I was less than half way into the ride.

I like Weatherbug, Quick Uninstaller, GPS Status, Yelp, Navigation, Places Directory, Flashlight and Compass.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
For hiking, biking, walking, etc.... Endomondo is the bomb. I use it often.

I'm not real familiar with the UI tweaks that Samsung adds but some of my favorite apps are:

LauncherPro -- replaces the stock launcher and comes with a bunch of nice widgets (pay version)
Beautiful Widgets -- real nice flip clock/weather widget (similar to the HTC Sense widget)

My primary use is the mail and calendar apps. But I also use:

Shazam
Yelp
Google Googles
Kindle
USA Today
NPR

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Cardiotrainer, Bubble Level, GPS Speedo, Barcode Scanner, Flashlight, etc. Mainly I use Pandora, Cardiotrainer, and Google navigation at the same time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
On the road I use a garmin 705. Lost one on the trails last winter so now when mtbking I use sportyPal pro.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
I use "my tracks" for biking hiking and such, love the info. Is there a way to download this on the internets and save info to a file that shows the same stuff and can capture all related info for say a 2 month period? I'm coaching a MTB team and that would be cool info after the season.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My Tracks, Weather Bug, IheartRadio, Shazam, Yelp, Movies, Jewels, Paper Toss, Mathdroid (a scientific calculator), Arity (a graphing calculator), Bubble, StopWatch, Epicurious, Eurosport, ARProtractor (a protractor that uses the camera, great for bike angles), Advanced Task Killer

Some of these have multiple versions, each by a different developer. Choose carefully as some will work well while others may crash a lot or have copious ads.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Ejdo said:
My Tracks

Have you checked out Endomondo? Much more polished, does sharing, friends, challenges, etc... and it's free and ad free.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
Make sure to get some sort of app-killing program to kill all your programs running in the background b/c these will seriously drain your battery.

·
Mehpic
8,162 Posts
erj549 said:
Make sure to get some sort of app-killing program to kill all your programs running in the background b/c these will seriously drain your battery.

also, get a screen dimmer. it also helps w/ battery life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love Endomondo, great community and throw in contest to help keep you motivated. Never had any problems with it.

I took the app killer off mine because it was draining my battery.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The trick to the app killer is to only kill apps that will not be re-opened by the phone automatically and be sure to kill the app killer program too.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx guys for the Ideas. I got an app killer today and I'm trying it out. My only question is if I kill the app killer wont I have to restart it?

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lablover said:
I use "my tracks" for biking hiking and such, love the info. Is there a way to download this on the internets and save info to a file that shows the same stuff and can capture all related info for say a 2 month period? I'm coaching a MTB team and that would be cool info after the season.

You can upload it to Google Documents. It makes a spreadsheet with all the info and a map.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I quit using an app killer and noticed no difference in battery performance, besides you can just simply go into settings>applications>running services and take care of the stuff from there, that way you take up no more memory on either your internal memory or sd card with the app killer program.

But anywho, my favorites are:
beautiful widgets
barcode scanner (mainly for getting apps)
flashlight
IMDB
my tracks
movies
shazam
redboxer
google voice

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2cflyr said:
also, get a screen dimmer. it also helps w/ battery life.

My Moment comes with an auto screen dimming widget. Its kind of cool. I can control how bright I want the screen or just let it set based on available light.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
erj549 said:
app killers are actually counter productive.

get "autokiller" it isn't an app killer but works with the native system in Android:thumbsup:

everything there is to know.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

Juice Defender is a great app that actually works in bettering battery life.

Handcent SMS is a great text/mms app that IMO is better then the stock messaging app.

Xscope browser (lite for free) waaay better.

ES file Explorer is a great file management app.

Chad

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KenB said:
Have you checked out Endomondo? Much more polished, does sharing, friends, challenges, etc... and it's free and ad free.

I just downloaded Endomondo to try out. But it looks like it doesn't give you as much info as My Tracks. I want vertical ft. climbed and lost.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
pulser955 said:
I just downloaded Endomondo to try out. But it looks like it doesn't give you as much info as My Tracks. I want vertical ft. climbed and lost.

Hmmm... I know it tracks altitude but I don't think it gives you a total climb reading at the end of the ride.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.