Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The LBS where I hang out was purchased from the original owner some years ago. He recently came back to work there a day or two a week just for something to keep him busy. I had heard stories about him having this bike and I asked him about it. He brought it in for us to see. He has talked to Andy about it. This bike was a back up bike for Andy in the 1988 Giro d'Italia which Andy won. As far as I know, the pump and seat bag have been added, everything else is just like it was in the Giro. I thought you might like to see it too.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I can't blame him...I'd do the same
He well knows what he has. He has been contacted by Serotta and some museum. They would both like to have the bike. He told me that he was trying to make up his mind which direction to go. I don't think he is in any hurry.

· Registered
232 Posts
His primary bike was in fact made by John Slawta (Landshark).

But Serotta was the primary builder for the team's "Huffy" bikes. The story I heard was that Serotta was unable to get custom bikes done in time for the Giro so some riders (including Andy) went to other builders to get their bikes done.

I don't know if the backup bike is a Landshark or a Serotta, but I'll bet if you e-mail John...he'd know

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
That bike is amazing. I'd love to get the Hampsten replica.

· Registered
5,644 Posts
That is a great looking bike and though I know that often used pro bikes get sold out the back of the team truck at the end of the year (or so the stories go that I have heard), it is cool to know what happened to some of those bikes.

I wonder how many riders just buy their bikes themselves? I know that Zabel has quite a collection of bikes, but he is about the only pro that I have heard of that has a large collection.

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
lousylegs said:
That is a great looking bike and though I know that often used pro bikes get sold out the back of the team truck at the end of the year (or so the stories go that I have heard), it is cool to know what happened to some of those bikes.
I think those days are over. Discovery/Tailwind Sports sold their bikes on paceline.com and then what was left over went on Ebay. Navigators and now I guess they are known as Team Type 1 always has a booth at Veloswap in Denver where they sell all their gear including their bikes. Veloswap traditionally has also had a handful of Colorado based pros selling their bikes/gear each year. Over the years I've seen Pate, Creed, Olsen, Vaughters, Roll, and a few lesser knowns making some end of season cash.

· Registered
695 Posts
I noticed the main bike has internal cable routing while the back up has cable guides on the top tube. The rear dopouts look different on the two bikes. And the back up has fastback stays brazed to the seat tube clamp. The main bike has them mounted differently. My guess is the main bike is a Slawta and the back up is Serotta.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.