Registered
8,000 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Seats not level.:D
That's level for a Aliante saddle.

The frame is nice, but the rest is boring. I guess he is older now....:p

G

·
I honestly don't see what is to criticize with this bike.

It is a wonderfully designed bike, for a purpose.

It is designed to be all day comfortable over any surface or road type, for as long on chooses to ride.

The length of the head tube, whether the stem is up or down, etc don't matter a damn to the guy that owns this bike.

I venture to guess he could still ride anyone on this forum under the table.

This is a bike that belongs to a guy that has nothing to prove and rides a bike that he designed o do the things he wants to do with a bike.

I recently had a bike built and used the collective input of one our forum members as well as Andy's brother to design it.

Carl Strong built it, and i love it. Amazing to me how much it resembles Andy's bike.

I would be honoured to ride some gravel roads on big fat tubulars beside that Ti beauty.

BTW those tires are Jack Browns. 700 x33, the green labels.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
toomanybikes said:
I honestly don't see what is to criticize with this bike.
It is a wonderfully designed bike, for a purpose.
It is designed to be all day comfortable over any surface or road type, for as long on chooses to ride.
The length of the head tube, whether the stem is up or down, etc don't matter a damn to the guy that owns this bike.
I venture to guess he could still ride anyone on this forum under the table.
This is a bike that belongs to a guy that has nothing to prove and rides a bike that he designed o do the things he wants to do with a bike.
I recently had a bike built and used the collective input of one our forum members as well as Andy's brother to design it.
Carl Strong built it, and i love it. Amazing to me how much it resembles Andy's bike.
I would be honoured to ride some gravel roads on big fat tubulars beside that Ti beauty.
BTW those tires are Jack Browns. 700 x33, the green labels.
Good post and a great bike purpose-built by and for a guy that doesn't have to prove anything to anyone anymore. He did that when he won the Giro d'Italia.

I made the fatal mistake of posting Andy's bike over at Cyclocross. Some of those [email protected]$e$ freaked as it wasn't a UCI "spec" CX bike.

I've got a frame on order that I'll build up into a do-all bike something like Andy's ~ a bike that I can ride anywhere on a whim. I won't be posting its pics over on the CX forum though as the Forum Police climb all over ya if you don't actually RACE CX or have one part that isn't current traditional CX. Their loss.

·
noble dirtbag
98 Posts
His tire choice is a good one for sure. Maybe after I wear out my ruffy tuffies then I will go for the Jack Browns too. I know they would fit on my Heron rally. I also can't understand why some people would find fault with Andy's ride. I just wish his company did a lugged bike also.

G

·
smallmig said:
His tire choice is a good one for sure. Maybe after I wear out my ruffy tuffies then I will go for the Jack Browns too. I know they would fit on my Heron rally. I also can't understand why some people would find fault with Andy's ride. I just wish his company did a lugged bike also.
Contact Steve and ask him, I bet they would.

G

·
zmudshark said:
Wow, that's a great looking, functional bike. I have one question, though. Is it a Hampsten or a Moots, or a collaboration between them?

Fat tubbies on gravel/rough roads would be fantastic, IMO.

They are designed by Steve HAmpsten and made for them by Moots.

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Beautiful

I am in lust. For its intended purpose, that bike is a close to perfect as a bike can get. I have a "roadified" Lemond Poprad that is my go everywhere bike. Andy's bike is like that but executed on a whole other level.

Damn, I am going to ride some dirt roads tomorrow and dream...

BTW, +1 for the full frame pump

·
Registered
33 Posts
The shop I work in just built a similar Seven with the couplers and a comfy setup for a guy that is really tall, this frame had the longest headtube I had ever seen. The bike turned out super nice and rides like a dream. Nothing wrong with the bike A.H. has going, looks like a sweet ride. I think sometimes people forget that not every ride needs to be a race, training ride, or working towards some athletic goal... Sometimes its nice to just go out and cruise at a comfortable pace, taking in the scenery or doing other things that are sometimes taboo on group or club rides.

·
A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Stogaguy said:
I am going to ride some dirt roads tomorrow and dream...
Where I live we have hundreds of miles of dirt roads that just carry farm traffic (what little that is). I've ridden these roads for years on my mountain bike and never see another rider. The paved roads are getting busier all the time and after decades of dealing with traffic I'm burned out. I reserve Sunday (much less traffic and almost no trucks) for my road bike rides now.

I've always known that a roadiefied mtb or a CXified road bike would be perfect for these rides. So the frame is almost made and should be built and on the dirt soon. I can't wait.

I won't know what to call it when it's done as the purists at both ends of the spectrum will get their panties in a knot. I guess it'll be my Dirt Road Bike. Let's see 'em argue with that. It should cause the fewest panty knots.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.