Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a public statement, Andy stated, "I want to tell the public that they should not whistle (boo) at him. He’s a great rider and does not deserve that,” Schleck continued. “I shouldn’t complain. If Alberto hadn’t waited for me on the second stage (to Spa) where I crashed, I wouldn’t have been in position to fight for this yellow jersey right now".

Looks like cooler heads prevailed at the top (two) GC. Wondering what's all the vitriol in the forum when they (Bert and Andy) seem now to be at peace with it.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:
In a public statement, Andy stated, "I want to tell the public that they should not whistle (boo) at him. He’s a great rider and does not deserve that,” Schleck continued. “I shouldn’t complain. If Alberto hadn’t waited for me on the second stage (to Spa) where I crashed, I wouldn’t have been in position to fight for this yellow jersey right now".

Looks like cooler heads prevailed at the top (two) GC. Wondering what's all the vitriol in the forum when they (Bert and Andy) seem now to be at peace with it.

the dropped chain could have been the best thing that happened to Andy - he needs something to fire him up. I know he says he is relaxed, but he is TOO relaxed. To win the race he needs to go a little berserk. I don't like this lovey-dovey stuff. Why can't they trash-talk like sprinters?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
55x11 said:
the dropped chain could have been the best thing that happened to Andy - he needs something to fire him up. I know he says he is relaxed, but he is TOO relaxed. To win the race he needs to go a little berserk. I don't like this lovey-dovey stuff. Why can't they trash-talk like sprinters?
Prolly don't agree with that assessment..several studies show that an athlete who is 'relaxed' has the best chance of performing at his/her highest level. Being irritated, berserk or annoyed an athlete tightens and constricts blood flow, and also throws off his response time. Note too that leading up to chaingate, Andy has been the most relaxed athlete, but when he pulls and attacks (assuming no chain-suck), he passes by everyone on a climb like they're standing still.

·
Registered
127 Posts
55x11 said:
After the chain incident, Andy shot up the mountain like a man posessed. He was passing those other fools like they were moving backwards! I think you're right - anger works for him.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:
Prolly don't agree with that assessment..several studies show that an athlete who is 'relaxed' has the best chance of performing at his/her highest level. Being irritated, berserk or annoyed an athlete tightens and constricts blood flow, and also throws off his response time. Note too that leading up to chaingate, Andy has been the most relaxed athlete, but when he pulls and attacks (assuming no chain-suck), he passes by everyone on a climb like they're standing still.
He shouldn't be losing his cool or doing stupid things like attacking on flats. But he needs to do SOMETHING if he wants to win the race. He has spent too much time shadowing Contador and waiting for another, better opportunity. I think chaingate may provide the motivation he lacks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
55x11 said:
He shouldn't be losing his cool or doing stupid things like attacking on flats. But he needs to do SOMETHING if he wants to win the race. He has spent too much time shadowing Contador and waiting for another, better opportunity. I think chaingate may provide the motivation he lacks.
Yes, that type of motivation is good. Loosing one's cool, not cool. Go Andy!

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:

Good.

·
Registered
465 Posts
55x11 said:
Until the chain problem, Andy and AC might as well have been on the same team. Andy seemed fired up afterward, but now it appears those two are back to clinging to one another.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:

Could you provide me with the links to the studies?
I thought the extra motivation brings out the extra effort in many of the sports.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cpark said:
Could you provide me with the links to the studies?
I thought the extra motivation brings out the extra effort in many of the sports.....
The link I was looking for was in a paper-based study eons ago (like 20 years ago) which I read in a national newspaper. But this link is close nuf, which uses a good analogy where in performance-based sports like running or cycling, not being relaxed or uptight is akin to having the parking break up (or engaged) while driving.

·
Super Moderator
19,485 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:

Good statement by Andy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Losing respect for Schleck the sport and quickly. It's seemingly more and more likely that Contdor and Schleck will be on the same team next year which is why he's making these statements.

Frankly this is bad for cycling because it smacks of collusion. Cycling is now basically turning into the WWE, where things are scripted ...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Frankly this is bad for cycling because it smacks of collusion. Cycling is now basically turning into the WWE, where things are scripted ...
I think you're mixing PR with the actual race, I have no doubt Schleck wants nothing more than to reclaim the yellow jersey and win - which explains why he was furious to begin with when he lost it due to the chain malfunction. His initial, more uncensorsed reaction after that stage is a better reflection of his true feelings imo... now that he's calmed down a bit he'a starting to play the politically correct gig.

·
not feeling creative
142 Posts
mangotreat0808 said:
where did you get that crap? Have you ever watched any of the stages Lance won when he was pissed? Leave the "scientific" studies on the back of the cracker jack box. :idea:

·
Banned
239 Posts
cruso414 said:
where did you get that crap? Have you ever watched any of the stages Lance won when he was pissed? Leave the "scientific" studies on the back of the cracker jack box. :idea:
I'll also add that when AS was fired up after the chain came off, he was absolutely flying. Nobody could stay with him.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Perico said:
I'll also add that when AS was fired up after the chain came off, he was absolutely flying. Nobody could stay with him.
See this...

Andrea138 said:
Usually that type of thing follows an "inverted U" pattern. Too little/much is bad. Optimal is somewhere in the middle.
He gained some time on them stomping it up the climb and didn't have the fuel left to push it hard on the descent where he lost more time.

·
Banned
239 Posts
LWP said:
See this...

He gained some time on them stomping it up the climb and didn't have the fuel left to push it hard on the descent where he lost more time.
No, he didn't have a group to help him on the descent like AC did, he didn't have a fantastic descender to follow at times like AC did and he did not have anyone willing to take a pull on the descent with him. Had the groups been switched between him and AC he catches up easily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts