Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Andy dropped back on the Hautacam earlier than his ability warranted. He might not be fully recovered from the Giro. I wonder if CSC is giving him time to rest so he can be of more help in Alps. That would give them three big guns in the later mountain stages, thoughts?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't think he was being "kept fresh" for the Alps, but as things have worked out, Sastre and Big Brother have one hell of a mountain domestique for stages 16/17.

Expect to see him up the road on the Galibier as a non-GC threat, waiting for his teammates at the foot of Alpe d'Huez.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
AJL said:
I think Andy dropped back on the Hautacam earlier than his ability warranted. He might not be fully recovered from the Giro. I wonder if CSC is giving him time to rest so he can be of more help in Alps. That would give them three big guns in the later mountain stages, thoughts?
I think Andy couldn't keep up. I don't know how having him keep up a pace that shed most of the peloton and several favorites qualifies as keeping him "fresh."

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Sojourneyman said:
he'll be more useful as someone who's expendable. He can work for the other two in the hills now without Riis having any reservations of killing his GC hopes
I don't think Riis would have had any reservations about killing Andy's GC hopes in order to crack Evans in the Alps. Wouldn't even have batted his eagle eye.

Now, Andy can only be a domestique or a stage hunter. If he hadn't cracked he could have been a real PITA for Evans and Silence-Lotto.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Perhaps once it was apparent he wouldn't hold on to cadel to the finish, he was told to lay off and save himself. He did lose a lot of time on one climb for someone who's usually a good climber.

More likely he just couldn't do it. Most mortals have days like that.

·
¿Por Que?
383 Posts
AJL said:
He didn't race the Giro, he just went pop. Nothin' more to it.

He's got a long career ahead of him though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard the commentators mention something about Andy and I seem to recall seeing him at the Giro - my mistake. The use of the word "fresh" was poorly chosen.

It didn't look like he popped to me, but maybe I just need to take a look at the recording again - it was a pretty hellacious pace.

In anycase, CSC sure does have a great hand to play, at least for the mountain stages.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Add me to the list of those who feel Andy cracked.

With the rest day looming, CSC-Saxo Bank wasn't trying to hold any of its riders back. It was all hands on deck for stage 10. Riis knew they needed to put time into the other GC contenders since his guys' TT skills dictate that they can't be trailing going into the final TT if they hope to win. They couldn't sit around waiting until the Alps and think that they were going to put several minutes into everyone there.

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
He lost about 6:40 something to the main contenders in stage 10. So now he won't draw many answers to his attacks in the mountains (he can't help beat-up on Cadel). CSC just lost a key tool in their box.

He's a good young rider... maybe he'll get a stage. He'll definitely learn alot the rest of the tour. He's probably now best utilized as a domestique.

Fränk and/or Sastre will need to get 4+ minutes on Cadel, Menchov to make big for CSC. Maybe Riis will (try to) put Andy in breaks in the (remaining) uphill finishes.

That final 53km ITT is gonna be ugly.

;-)

·
TPS reports by 5, people.
522 Posts
Andy's also learning that the Giro is NOT the TDF... not surprised that he couldn't hang with the leading group on that stage - maybe it's maturity, maybe he had a bad day, maybe people will stop saying that Frank isn't as talented? Who knows

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WeakMite said:
He lost about 6:40 something to the main contenders in stage 10. So now he won't draw many answers to his attacks in the mountains (he can't help beat-up on Cadel). CSC just lost a key tool in their box.

He's a good young rider... maybe he'll get a stage. He'll definitely learn alot the rest of the tour. He's probably now best utilized as a domestique.

Fränk and/or Sastre will need to get 4+ minutes on Cadel, Menchov to make big for CSC. Maybe Riis will (try to) put Andy in breaks in the (remaining) uphill finishes.

That final 53km ITT is gonna be ugly.

;-)
Ouch, almost 7 minutes down - good points!

·
Registered
272 Posts
It goes both ways. If he stayed up with big brother, the 3 of them could've attacked Evans together stage 10 and later in the Alps. Although it looked like Cadel couldn't or didn't want to go with Frank anyways.

Now he will be let free on a break to help later during an Alp stage. I think this will be more useful to CSC, as it's unlikely Andy would've been a main GC threat at the end of the tour this year anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.