Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sounds like Saxo using any excuse they can to get some shots in at the guys leaving next year...

Admittedly they broke a rule, but I can't imagine Andy was out binging and purging before the 10th stage.

·
Administrator
12,953 Posts
I will take shallow pretext for a thousand Alex. . .

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
gh1 said:
So you just assume this is all Riis' fault? Two sides to every story.
It's not against the tour policy to have a drink or two. I'd assume riding intoxicated would be against policy, but most likely would destroy performance, especially in the given heat.

Perhaps they said something that really pissed him off, but I see no other reason that they needed to be pulled, unless pulling them was to cover something else up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lame.

I have to admit. I only saw the headline and I thought they were caught doping. I'm a big AS and Saxo fan and was very disappointed. But hell. If I were him I'd be boozing it up too. Probably be partying with boonen and haussler as well!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
AJL said:
Yes, apparently they do.
And maybe they should recruit Cavendish and Vaughters to their "All-Star Nasty Guys" squad..

Can you imagine having to ride a 40k TT with JV squeaking into your earpeice" Ugg..I think I would rather spelunk in a septic tank...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Andy and Stuart both

gh1 said:
So you just assume this is all Riis' fault? Two sides to every story.
are at fault for breaking team policy on drinking after dinner.

But Bjarne is at fault for placing his personal feelings ahead of his sponsors. Handicapping your own team two riders over this? Wonder if the sponsors feel the same?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
According to a new report posted on cn.com, the Dynamic Duo were out until 5 A.M. -- 5 A.M.!!!! Holy jerez, Batman! Gotta say, for those two to be out so late, their heart is not in the race. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that both will be racing for the new Luxembourg-based Team [FILL IN SPONSOR NAME HERE] in 2011. Would have preferred to have seen guys like Chris Horner and Janez Brajkovic in the GC hunt instead.

Good move by Riis. To wit:

"Saxo Bank team manager Bjarne Riis has revealed that he sent Andy Schleck and Stuart O'Grady home from the Vuelta a España because they stayed out until 5 a.m. last night. The duo were withdrawn by their team ahead of today's stage 10 from Tarragona to Vilanova i la Geltrú.

"They haven't respected the rules of the team," Riis said after the stage. "Whether it's one glass or ten, at 5 a.m., it's inexcusable. I've done what I had to do. The rules of the team are the same for everyone. We are professionals and we have to act professionally. I had to take this decision. It's up to them to assume the consequences of what they've done."

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Can we now expect Frank to go 110% for the win?

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
fornaca68 said:
According to a new report posted on cn.com, the Dynamic Duo were out until 5 A.M. -- 5 A.M.!!!! Holy jerez, Batman! Gotta say, for those two to be out so late, their heart is not in the race. Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that both will be racing for the new Luxembourg-based Team [FILL IN SPONSOR NAME HERE] in 2011. Would have preferred to have seen guys like Chris Horner and Janez Brajkovic in the GC hunt instead.

Good move by Riis. To wit:

"Saxo Bank team manager Bjarne Riis has revealed that he sent Andy Schleck and Stuart O'Grady home from the Vuelta a España because they stayed out until 5 a.m. last night. The duo were withdrawn by their team ahead of today's stage 10 from Tarragona to Vilanova i la Geltrú.

"They haven't respected the rules of the team," Riis said after the stage. "Whether it's one glass or ten, at 5 a.m., it's inexcusable. I've done what I had to do. The rules of the team are the same for everyone. We are professionals and we have to act professionally. I had to take this decision. It's up to them to assume the consequences of what they've done."
Correct that they're not in it to win it, they're support staff on this tour. They can have an off day and lose time as long as they're within the elimination time.

I think it's Riis trying to prove who is boss....by shooting himself in the foot. I find it zero coincidence that he did this to riders leaving and hurting Frank's odds.

General observation....why is it that riders who do well tend to leave Riis sooner or later?

·
Administrator
12,953 Posts
Wouldn't "punishment" have been making them ride?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Coolhand said:
Wouldn't "punishment" have been making them ride?
hehe. on the front. from the gun! a real hardman's solution.

really, there are much better ways to deal with this rather than sabatoge the team's chances. methinks we'll never know the whole story

1 - 20 of 78 Posts